Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 kechari mudra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpearce

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpearce's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone any personal experience of kechari mudra to share, in terms of both the experience of the practice and of preparing the tongue for extension into the nasal passage?

I'm working on moving the tongue back over the soft palette, with very slow progress and now I'm considering beginning the long process of snipping the membrane beneath the tongue.

I should add that I have no intention of doing this unless I can find someone to can guide me who has done it themselves.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 12 2009 11:43:44 AM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  11:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Mrpearce....

Have you read through this Lesson yet?
http://www.aypsite.org/108.html

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  11:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  12:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Mrpearce.

Lot of people here practice kechari mudra and have shared their experiences with us.

Look at the Kechari Mudra FAQ, this has lesson links and some forum links.

Also, you can look up our most popular kechari topic Kechari Mudra for loads of info from members who are practicing kechari.

Yogani's main lesson, that Carson posted above (http://www.aypsite.org/108.html) would be the best way to start kechari.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  7:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome MrPierce, yes you ahve come to the right place to learn about Kechari Mudra. It seems that the basic resistance to this practice is based on the reaction that many people have to the snipping process. I forsee this becoming less of a problem since body piercing has become so much more mainstream, also, in many cases it is not necessary to snip so that part is only for those with a strong desire to do this practice but dealing with physical resistance. there are quite a few of us here who do practice this mudra and we will be happy to answer any questions and give tipson practice.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  07:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI,
I have been contemplating snipping for quite a while now, but am still a little squeamish/apprehensive about it. My latest fear is this: I believe every part of the human body has a specific function as designed by God. Then what is the function of the frenulum? Is it to steady the tongue and prevent it from "straying" to between the teeth when chewing ? Or is it to prevent from choking ourselves accidentally during deep sleep or when we are unconscious? Is there any conceivable risk at all in removing the "support" of the frenulum ?

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Jun 20 2009 07:40:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

It seems that the basic resistance to this practice is based on the reaction that many people have to the snipping process. I forsee this becoming less of a problem since body piercing has become so much more mainstream

This reminds me of a friend of mine who has modified his tongue so that it is like a snake's tongue...it is split at the end and each side has individual mobility. I wonder what kechari would be like with a "forked" tongue? Hmm.....

Love,
Carson

www.flickr.com/photos/janice...r/1065798967/

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jun 19 2009 12:04:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
This reminds me of a friend of mine who has modified his tongue so that it is like a snake's tongue...it is split at the end and each side has individual mobility. I wonder what kechari would be like with a "forked" tongue? Hmm.....

In chinese medicine, the tongue reflects the whole body.. (as well as each part of the body reflects the whole)..
For example, the tip of the tongue is related to the condition of the heart... the back of the tongue is related to the lower digestive system and kidneys..
So, when someone "plays" with his tongue and splits it in 2, it goes without saying that it may affects the organs in a bad way...

So, better leave the "forked" tongue to our friends the snakes
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The idea of every part of the body having a function as created by god has merit but it gave me an amusing thought. Made me think of the foreskin and how it has a natural purpose but God apparently wants it removed. In modern times I hear arguments that circumcision has health benefits and thats why it is good and this is from jews who argue for its practice, although the original intention was because God had ordered it! just kind of ironic. As far as the frenum, it seems to me to be a bit like the appendix, perhaps had some evolutionary purpose but currently not needed. One can stretch rather than snip and the eventual result is the same
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  3:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
One can stretch rather than snip and the eventual result is the same

On that topic I have actually found that I have had MORE success getting into stage 2 Kechari without finger help since I stopped snipping and started stretching instead. I found that snipping made my tongue actually shorter unless I continually stretched after snipping which is difficult while sleeping. I found that after snipping, when waking up the next morning and a few mornings right after my tongue would be very tight and it would take a lot of stretching to get back to where I was able to get to before snipping. I have personally decided not to trim anymore and am sticking with stretching....it seems to be working.

About circumcision....there are people on both sides of the arguement saying that their way is more healthy....Jewish (and other) people saying it is cleaner and safer, and the other side of the arguement saying that there is an extreme loss of sensitivity and sex is much more pleasureable with foreskin still intact. I wouldn't know, I only have a perspective from one side

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I reached Kechari Stage 2, almost entirely through stretching (2 small inconseqential snips). Basically spent ~5mins in the car on the way home from work pushing the tongue back then releasing, stretching releasing...then one day bang, its back there...
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
great to hear that Parallax; here's my experience with kechari:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3756

Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  08:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda my brother!!

Sounds like a pretty similar experience...I stretched it back a few times to the the point of drawing a drop or two of blood, but nothing too extreme...it was a pretty gentle process...probably took a little bit longer than if I had been snipping away, but everything happened just the way it was supposed to...

I've been doing all siting practices in K-2 for a few months now, and the other day I realized how big of an impact it had when I decided to do my practices in K-1 b/c of irritation...just wasn't able to get the same sort of depth in meditiation...it was a total different experience than when in K-2

Out of curiosity, how much time do you spend in K-2 outside of sitting practices?

Much love to you

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
namaste brother,

to be honest with you it varies; some days i just practice kechari during my daily sessions and at others throughout the day and some times i just find my tongue going back there by itself so it must be a purification thing which leads the process.

and i should mention that nowadays my tongue goes automatically to kechari stage 4 during practices and there is an increased secretion of amrita.

it's up to the mountains for today, guess i'll c u guys tmrw.

much love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ananda...sounds wonderful...enjoy the mountains!!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  3:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just do kechari during practices or occasionally if I feel like it. Not a big deal anymore. As for circumcision, I wasn't arguing pro or con, more amused that apparently God made everything for a purpose and then decided to make a small revision. If it is seen as a sacrifice of faith then there should be no argument as to whether it is healthier etc since that is entirely beside the point. If it is for health reasons then obviously there are ways to improve on Gods design. perhaps it was an original design flaw that God later revised
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Parallax

Thanks Ananda...sounds wonderful...enjoy the mountains!!

thks but i had to go down early this evening, but it's all good at least i got a fresh of cold air for a change instead of the hot summer winds of beirut.
Go to Top of Page

anandatandava2

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit anandatandava2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm almost to Kechari three, but still need a finger push. My frenum is not taut, so unless there is some special approach to proceed, (I'm already trying from both sides and the middle), it looks like tongue melting is in order. What do you think? How aggressively can I approach tongue melting?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000