Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama for nasal congestion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Most mornings when I wake up one of my nostrils is at least mildly congested. It isn't always the same nostil. I have also noticed that this can change during the day. My right nostril might have congestion in the morning and the left in the evening.

Someone in this forum had suggested a neti pot, so I went out and got one last week and have done it daily since then. I think this is a good practice and will more than likely continue this daily. Any other suggestions? Specific type of pranayama possibly?

PS...I just can't see myself running a string between my nose and my mouth as I have seen others do.

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you check that you don't have some that is treatable like a sinus condition, deviated septum, or spouse who is trying to smother you with a pillow each night?

I had a similar thing, the Neti Pot seemed to have cleared it up. I do note that I have to be careful with dust and other pollutants. Steam helps as well as gentle palpation of the sinuses.

Alternate nostril pranayama or forms of bellows breath did not do a thing, neither did over the counter stuff. I won't touch new age cures; if your going to dilute the cure, please dilute the price too. :)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo.....do you ever smoke anything? I found that once I quit smoking pot that my nasal passages cleared up considerably and haven't gone back to being clogged in one nostril all the time. Just a thought.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  3:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input guys. I bet with continued use of the neti pot (it's only been a week) that this will clear up. I was just curious if there were other things I could do too.

As for my health, I am pretty healthy. No allergies. No persistant sinus infections. No ailments at all really. And I have never smoked a day in my life.

I am thinking that this may just be the next phase of my healing crisis associated with my kundalini awakening. I haven't yet experienced the full blown rise from tail to crown in one fail swoop. I think the system is still being cleansed and the energy gates are still being opened.

Edited by - solo on Apr 20 2009 3:17:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  5:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo,
When you say congested , do you simply mean one sie is more blocked than the other? If so this is normal for all humans and they switch sides approximately every 2 hrs so you will find that they alternate with the constriction.If you mean congestion as in mucus or other stuff that may be another matter.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  7:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I mean both. I do get mucus out with the neti pot and some days one nostril is clogged with a lot of mucus. But most days, what I am talking about is just restricted air flow in one nostril. One flows much more strongly than the other.

quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

Hi Solo,
When you say congested , do you simply mean one sie is more blocked than the other? If so this is normal for all humans and they switch sides approximately every 2 hrs so you will find that they alternate with the constriction.If you mean congestion as in mucus or other stuff that may be another matter.
L&L
Dave

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  05:24:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo,
Restricted air flow is normal.Normally there are two times in 24 hrs when both nostrils are fully open with no restriction.All other times one is less restricted than the other and it changes about every 2 hrs during the day.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  08:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What Dave is talking about is called swara yoga and has been discussed here.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  08:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Solo,
One method suggested by Swami Satyananda Saraswati for one nostril blockage, is to fold your arms across your chest with the the right fist pressed under the left armpit( if left is blocked), and breathe through both nostrils for a few minutes, and vise-versa if the right nostril is blocked. I find it pretty much clears the blocked nostril.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have alternation of one clear nostril throughout the day. One is clear and the other is getting about 1/4 or less of the air that the clear one gets. I've tried a neti pot, but it doesn't do a lot of good (although I don't use it regularly, mainly because I think this is either natural alternation or a deviated septum). I'm planning to try breath right strips, as mentioned in another similar thread.

Is it safe to practice spinal breathing with one clear nostril at a time? Theoretically it seems like this could cause an imbalance between ida and pingala. Because the clear nostril alternates, ida and pingala should be overall balanced throughout the day, but I wonder if there could be an imbalance caused by deep breathing during pranayama through only or mainly one nostril.

Thanks

Edited by - Nathan on Jun 24 2009 6:25:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Krikkit

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr.Krikkit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps play a wind-instrument ?
I recently purchased a didgeridoo and my nose is cleaned afterwards,
also the lungs get really cleaned with some sounds ( you know when you cough doing those :P . Also great for breathing in whole ( quick shallow breaths ---- long exhales.

Oh and bringing your adams-apple (the throat thing) down and breathing like that brings up a lot of muces, At least at my part it seems to be quite tense (high in throat) and when relaxe medition is done same position is aquired as pushing it manualy.

its also used to cure people who snore.

Friendly greetings,

Mr.Krikkit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000