Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal breathing & Navi Kriya
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

awaevo

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi :)

I am fairly new to the practice of kundalini and am not sure if the "feeling" I have going up and down my spine is taking me in the right direction. When I focus attention on my spine I can feel a very pleasurable sensation around my perineum and extending about 3 inches up the spine. The sensation is smooth and clear.

However once I travel a bit further, it is much more of a pressure - and it is not very smooth. It's as if there are gaps where I can no longer feel the spine. Once I'm in the brain the pressure is felt in the entire brain, not a clear feeling of "up and forward". Is this normal? Also, my powers of visualization are as of now very weak, so I don't have a clear image of a "thread" connecting from root to brow.

Any suggestion?

Edited by - awaevo on May 07 2009 12:22:15 PM

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  2:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi awaevo welcome to the forum.

What practices are you doing are you following the AYP lessons?

Have a look at the spinal breathing lesson here and also this FAQ and links.

Here is a post from Yogani that may help
I think it addresses your problem perfectly he tells it so much better that I can.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1088#6492

I also recomend you get the little books on deep meditation and spinal breathing there are links to them on the right of this page .

Thank you for posting your question and please feel free to come back and post any queries you like thats what we are here for

Edited by - Richard on Apr 29 2009 2:50:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

awaevo

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  3:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The link was really helpful It answered a couple questions I hadn't even thought of, that have made my practice MuCh easier.

Thank You :)
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  05:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to help

Let us know exactly what practices you are doing and that will make it easier to help you.
Go to Top of Page

awaevo

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Right now I'm doing 20min of Asanas, 2min breath of fire, 5min of spinal breathing, and 20min of deep meditation. I've just begun doing 5 minutes samyama.

I started dabling in kundalini yoga with a Very weak understanding of it, about a year ago. I was doing hatha yoga everyday and added breath of fire, because of the Energy I would have afterward. After a few "unsettling" experiences, I backed off.

Now that I have picked up yoga practices once again, I feel much more balanced.

I've just begun adding "breath of fire" to my twice a day practices, but i'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly. As far as I can tell it is just a pumping of the belly - pulling the navel in toward the spine? I also would like to know what the difference is between that and Navi Kriya? Is one more beneficial than the other?

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi awaevo

Welcome to the forum

Great that you have found AYP inspiring and functional.

Just wondering.....how much time has passed between you adding on the different practises?

AYP Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama are very powerful in and of themselves...so adding many new practices too quickly can cause overload.

Balance is crucial....it will see to it that you can practise consistantly.....and this will always bring you closer to "home" faster than "rushing it"

You may have done this already....but if you have not read the lesson on self-pacing..here it is:

http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

The best of luck with your practice

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Breath of Fire (at least in Kundalini Yoga, I don't know if it is a different practice in other styles of yoga) is synonomous with AYP's bastrika pranayam but without the visualization. With Breath of Fire you are to use a quick forceful out breath while pulling the diaphragm in and then your inhale and the subsequent pulling out of the diaphragm will happen automatically. Use a pace that feels right for you. That pace may increase and decrease as is necessary. Don't try to force anything.

The difference between BoF and Navi kriya is that navi kriya actively employs uddiyana bandha (over and over again, hold release, hold release) as well as an outbreath kumbhaka (so there is no panting, you are holding your breath out) and there is a spinal breathing visualization which is not there in BoF. Also in kundalini yoga BoF is often combined with a posture of one sort or another. Navi Kriya is stationary and I believe usually done standing with legs bent like how you would stand to do Nauli Kriya. Don't know if this helps at all. Hopefully.....

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 07 2009 1:44:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Is there anyone doing SRF's Navi Kriya. This seems different from Yogani's. In this there is only being aware of each chakra and chanting om on each, with an intensified chanting on the Manipura.
Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Jun 19 2009 08:04:59 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000