Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Aging and the futility of retirement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  1:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
My whole life I have looked forward to retirement which would be in another 12 years for me. I have rarely had enough vacation time and thought it would be nice to have a "permanent vacation".

Recently I have decided to never retire. There has been a foreshadowing of this as I look at what is happening to the value of the dollar. I was realizing that any savings will probably have no value, and our "social security" system may not be around for long.

But more importantly, I look at people who have already retired and the vast majority of them are not the happy vacationing people I imagined. Much more prevalent is a vacuous look in their eyes, lack of purpose, and loss of both body and mind control.

I exercise and stretch more than other people my age, and my body is capable of much more than the others. I hear them say they can't do this or that because of their age. But the real reason they can't do things is they don't do them on a regular basis. We've all heard "use it or lose it" referring to the body. Just regular exercise is not enough, it must be strenuous for the best effect. Both fast breathing and sweating are very beneficial for too many reasons to go into here.

Well, "use it or lose it" applies to the mind also. Up until recently we were told of everything that kills brain cells; a blow to the head, alcohol, drugs, illness, etc etc.
Recent research has shown that humans often create new brain cells. If they are not used, they are thrown off and killed. Just living ordinary life is not enough. We must use our brain for unusually hard problems to keep the new cells.
When rats were tested, new brain cells were not retained from running mazes or finding the piece of wood floating in water to climb on. They were only retained when new problems were given that were difficult, and hadn't been solved before.

Knowing now that "use it or lose it" applies to both the body and the mind, and that both of them must be somewhat difficult made me re-think the illusion of retirement. Also it removes the illusion that the best part of my life is in the future!

Scientists have known for a long time that diet restriction causes significantly longer life. Recent research shows the reason for that is the stress caused releases resveratol and other chemicals that cause longer life by clearing impediments.
We also know that mental stress shortens our lives. So my belief is that we should create stress by work and problem solving, and get rid of mental stress by meditation.
It would follow that our purpose here is to serve, and by continuing that service we will be rewarded with long life!

Edited by - Etherfish on Jun 28 2009 4:12:51 PM

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  12:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether, I really enjoyed reading your post. I've also been thinking that I'll keep working, but transition to a service-based role at some point. I've been researching what that might be, so that I can plan for or train for that role in the upcoming years.

You're also right regarding the research on the brain. Even something like learning a new language can keep our minds functioning better. Stretching our minds in new ways is key. Research has also shown that an active spiritual life and community life helps us age well. I hope that the art of meditation continues to grow and spread as a healthy component of wellness and graceful aging.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  08:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kathy,
Yes I forgot to mention that i have a job I love, that is very challenging both mentally and physically. It is service based, and has to be something people need to make you feel useful.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  11:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post Ether
I think the point you ommited was important, about being fulfilled in the job you have.

Ram Dass wrote a good book on ageing called "Still Here"
It explains how one can incorporate the various aging factors into spiritual practice.
It becomes a practice of letting go as we lose our various abilities to do things we couldn't before.

Of course there is always the balance required to discern how much things can be pushed and how much one has to allow for just plain getting older.
I find if I feel particularly good and push myself physically too much I get injured more quickly and take longer to recover.

So self-pacing as one gets older is wise, but on the other hand the "idea" of "getting old" can also be a trap and prevent one from staying fit and agile, both mentally and physically.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  2:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,
I am 72 and still working as chartered accountant, part time job, around 30/40% and I enjoy it.
Intellectually I dare say I am at my best, the problem is I tire more easily.
When I was younger I was able to concentrate all the day long without difficulties and now after 4/5 hours I am tired.
So my advice is if you can work till the end it is fine but try to have a part time job.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  10:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, sometimes the job changes, but you can still work. My grandfather is gone now, but he retired and kept working at home. He had a half acre garden he tended by hand. He had a book called "Work Until 100", talking about this concept. 100 was considered an old age back then. He only made it to 92, but he was active and didn't need a nursing home. And he had a pacemaker and diabetes, and ate a traditional japanese diet with lots of rice and meat, so we know more about lifestyle now.

Do you get plenty of exercise, Buffle37? That helps with tiredness.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ether, wonderful topic! I always thought you were younger...

With age comes certain challenges and limitations, but we are still capable of wonderful things (Or so I've observed).

I was inspired by this (Jay Leno) interview of Roberta McCain. At 97, she travels the world and seems to have all her marbles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIP_BGkkbYM

She says something very telling at 2:55. The secret of her success, perhaps?

Enjoy!
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  9:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

Hey Ether, wonderful topic! I always thought you were younger...

I was!
I'm almost 60 now.

good video!
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  1:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Do you get plenty of exercise, Buffle37? That helps with tiredness.

I walk a lot in the city and the mountains and do some yoga or qi gong but not enough, you are perfectly right.
You said "use it or lose it" it is true but when aging one must be careful not overuse the body wich is not as strong as before.
As ever wisdom is in a balance always difficult too attain.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of what is not as strong is not from age, it is from not using it, as you said. You can get lots of exercise if it is "low impact". That is easier on your joints. You have to use your whole body and do something that makes you sweat and breathe hard. Both of these functions are very good for you, but modern man avoids them.
Weight bearing exercise makes the bones stronger. Eating animal products and dairy weakens the bones, so if you eat a lot of meat and cheese and butter and milk, you need even more exercise to make up for it. yes, walking is good. Up hills or stairs or in loose sand even better.

It doesn't exercise your whole body though, particularly upper body and arms. There is some difficult yoga that does that, but I think there are easier things. But the trick is to do what you love, so it's easy to continue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000