AYPsite.org Forum
 Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Make Amends- transform your karma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  11:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am sure it has been said before, but having recently become more aware of what a big part of my life that making amends has always been and recognizing its transformational power, I share it here from my perspective.

Making amends is a powerful practice and wonderful way for people to transform their lives and their karma.

We all make mistakes, it is a natural part of being human. We can feel guilty and regret about our errors and think less of ourselves as a result, but this only serves to pile on the layers of emotional debris and thoughts which stand between us and "enlightenment".

Or...

We can accept our mistakes, resolve to do it differently the next time the same situation presents itself and make amends for our perceived "crimes and errors" starting now.

How do we make amends?

If we intentionally or unintentionally hurt of offend someone etc. we can resolve to help and to be extra giving in the next 10 opportunities that come along. Make 10 friends for the 1 enemy you feel you've made. Help somebody do something, pay it forward, etc. Make sure making amends comes in the form of actions and not just ideas, we are what we do often(eventually).

There are so many ways to make amends and in the end we mend our own hearts with our actions and create powerful habits which resonate in our energy field and changes our karma.

And in the process of carrying out these amending actions...we feel so much better inside.

Edited by - Anthem on Jun 20 2009 11:09:23 AM

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very true, everyone is innocent anyways, really, no one asks to be born, and it is from birth that we are taught all of this, it seems like a matter of luck to me, when you start getting more specific than just being alive, dead, or unborn.. all of it kind of happens on its own, so how can there be hard feelings, we should just relax, maybe time is the greatest gift, now that all of this can be in the past, and as for now and the future, true love, true content
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  12:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem,

Thanks for sharing about amends. I am learning that this is one of the ways to transform some of my issues and burn the negative tendencies I have accumulated.

I feel that this is what all religions call as penance!

Regards,
Ram.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  3:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice post Anthem. It lightens our mental load too as we are able to let go of past things and stop cycling them over in our minds after consciously facing and addressing them. And lightening our mental load makes room for stillness and spirit...

love!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ik-jivan

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across this article on Internal Dialogue (http://sites.google.com/site/swamir...nal-dialogue) and recommended it to another on this forum, but it also could be applied to making amends with self.

Essentially, we’re a collective of consciousness within. Our bodies talk, our emotions talk, our intuitions talk . . . all converse and interact with the intellect-ego/id of the mind. Sometimes we make mistakes, guilt ourselves and then admonish ourselves for the resentment we feel when true needs are not being met. What does this relationship with our multi-faceted self become when there isn’t consensus and compromise? Distant. Retaliatory, perhaps. Monotonous. All the things that relationships with others become when communication and compromise are not present. The big difference is you can’t walk away and forget about your relationship with self. You’re duty-bound and married until death do you part. You have to work it out if you want lasting inner peace and a sense of fulfillment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000