Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Question for Kirtanman & all other music lovers!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If anyone knows, I suspect you might...

I'm looking for Indian devotional music of a certain kind. I don't know if you're familiar with the Cheb-i-Sabbah albums Shri Durga and Krishna Lila, but I'm completely addicted to them and I know there has to be something else like them out there. Those albums aren't strictly speaking devotional but then again they really are.

I'm specifically looking for music with Indian artists, particularly vocalists. It can be traditional or DJ-ed up like the Cheb-i-Sabbah, but it needs to have the... I don't quite know what. An Other-wordly quality is I suppose what I'm after. Trippy, maybe. Or just very, very beautiful. With a modern twist. Oh yeah, and preferably with a Shakta vibe...

Any ideas, Kirtanmanji?

Love!

g

Edited by - grihastha on Jun 19 2009 2:38:18 PM

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by grihastha

If anyone knows, I suspect you might...

I'm looking for Indian devotional music of a certain kind. I don't know if you're familiar with the Cheb-i-Sabbah albums Shri Durga and Krishna Lila, but I'm completely addicted to them and I know there has to be something else like them out there. Those albums aren't strictly speaking devotional but then again they really are.

I'm specifically looking for music with Indian artists, particularly vocalists. It can be traditional or DJ-ed up like the Cheb-i-Sabbah, but it needs to have the... I don't quite know what. An Other-wordly quality is I suppose what I'm after. Trippy, maybe. Or just very, very beautiful. With a modern twist. Oh yeah, and preferably with a Shakta vibe...

Any ideas, Kirtanmanji?

Love!

g

If I may be so bold as to offer my musical two cents worth ...

"Amor Immortalis" by Patrick Bernhardt is an album I can listen to every day and never grow tired of. It is his musical interpretation of The Brahma Samhita, a Sanskrit Pancaratra text, composed of verses of prayer spoken by Brahma to Govinda or Krishna at the beginning of creation.

Other-wordly quality. Trippy. Very beautiful. Modern twist. Shakta vibe. "Amor Immortalis" has all of that.

To hear samples, click on the white arrows to the left of each track name on the following web page:

http://www.legalsounds.com/download.../album_36580

Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Suryakant! I'll check that out right away.

quote:
If I may be so bold as to offer my musical two cents worth ...

Of course! And I've changed the topic heading to get leads from everyone, and to take the pressure off Kirtanmanji...

I can expand a bit on my wishlist: it might sound like Midival Punditz remixed in the cremation grounds. It might sound like the Mallik Family or Pandit Pran Nath if they'd suddenly started listening to My Bloody Valentine...

I suspect I want the impossible AND the unavailable...

Love!

g

Edited by - grihastha on Jun 19 2009 2:51:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  7:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by grihastha

Any ideas, Kirtanmanji?

Love!

g

Hi Grihasthaji - thanks for the inquiry- I'm honored!

And ... this sounds like a job for ..... Kirtanman!!

It's a bird ...

It's a plane .....

It's some guy chanting in Sanskrit with a suspiciously American accent ......

It's *Kirtanman* ..... and his faithful sidekick .... *Google*!

... and the (first) answer is ....

http://www.last.fm/music/DJ+Cheb+I+Sabbah/+similar

(A Web page featuring allegedly similar artists to Cheb-i-Sabbah -- such as Midival Punditz, Karsh Kale & Tabla Beat Science .... I've heard/liked at least a track or two from each of them in the past.)

I don't know if you've checked out my IMEEM (<- I'm not sure if they call it a page, or site, or what ... so I'm stickin' w/just IMEEM for now) ... but most of the stuff I know/like is a bit more "this-worldly" than Cheb-i-Sabbah's music -- and thus, I wasn't familiar, on my own, w/similar artists -- but am always happy to try to help.

I love the "spirit" of all devotional music, and it sounds like our definitions are both pretty "loose" concerning what constitutes devotional.

(If it uplifts the spirit, and especially if it invokes spirit, by any name ... it's devotional!)

And ... I think your query may have just helped us to collectively discover the motherlode .... or mata-lode .... or Mahabharata lode .... Indian-music-wise ..... check out:

http://www.raaga.com

One Heart, One Home, One Love, One AUM-

Kirtanman

PS- And taking you at your word on the "other-worldly" part, also check out .... The Bauls of Bengal .... (the traveling troupe of high-on-the-Goddess- and-who-knows-what-else traveling minstrels who initiated Jai Uttal into the existential bliss of loving Ma Kali through song .....)

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?q=artist:...ngal&f=music

Let's keep in touch (all) on cool-new-yogic (<- loosely-defined) music, as we find it! And remember: simply *enjoying* music is yogic, too! <- The majority of Abhinavagupta's work was not on spirituality -- but on artistic *aesthetics*. Why? Because art - music - poetry - any art -- is where consciousness unifies ... even momentarily ... with the One ... you don't have to be able to enter samadhi at the drop of a hat (or mat ...), to have your jaw drop in wordless awe at artistic or natural beauty ... or to lose yourself in enjoyable music of any style. You know how, when that happens, you'll feel a sense of awe -- and maybe say, "WOW!"

"Wow", "Awe", "Jai" & "Jaya" all come from the same source .... and all inherently refer to the speechless awe of unified awareness (Jai & Jaya in Sanskrit are often mistranslated as "victory"; they literally translate as "victory" - they're actually more like "Wow" or "Oh" in English ... signifying awe.

Music is fun. And more than fun. Which is even more fun. It's a good system ..... (not to mention that the combination of harmony, number, geometry, structure, emotion, sound and vocalization can directly facilitate enlightenment ..... which is why every religious tradition in history makes liberal use of them ..... ).
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  8:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also check out:

http://www.last.fm/music/Krishna Das

(Krishna Das is just an example - they have pretty much every artist IMEEM does, and a clearer "find similar music" interface.)

Beyond AUM is Nada (<- Sound in Sanskrit, Nothing in American slang ... )

Beyond Nada is Nadanta (the end of sound) ....

Beyond the end of sound Shakti arises ....

And This from which Shakti arises ...

I AM

(As In: There's ONLY Music ... and the Silence that makes it possible ... what is the nature of the Silence? I AM .....)

Aum-a

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jun 19 2009 10:41:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  8:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, yes and yes again!!

Got to go, but thanks for all the links - raaga looks to be the dog's b*****ks, as we say in London...

Bauls - brilliant.

The sound beyond sound... Spanda...

Very exciting!

Namaste,

g
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  9:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KPp...m=PL&index=1

If you've been meditating for a while, you might get all ecstatic

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic,

Confession: I really enjoy Nandhi's paintings, but the didg has never been my favourite instrument. However, this is strong stuff. Full brow tingling, the lot. Eh, if I have to surrender to the power of the didgeridoo, so be it...
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  12:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kirtanmanji:

quote:
I love the "spirit" of all devotional music, and it sounds like our definitions are both pretty "loose" concerning what constitutes devotional.

Hey, my favourite pieces of devotional music (Mahler and Mozart aside for the time being) might well be Archie Shepp's album 'Going Home' and Sonny Rollins teaming up with jazz bagpiper Rufus Harley on 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot.' If you haven't heard that, prepare thyself...

Meanwhile I'm going to dive in to this ocean of bliss (Yes, Last.fm is brilliant - I basically discovered dhrupad thanks to them.).

Btw, for a transforming, meditation-when-you're-not-supposed-to-be-meditating experience, I recommend ABoneCroneDrone by Sheila Chandra - I think the whole album's on Last.fm. Really deep, pure sound.

- update, yes it is: http://www.last.fm/music/Sheila+Cha...neCroneDrone (can't get the thing to hyperlink - sorry)

Edited by - grihastha on Jun 20 2009 08:44:39 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000