Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 too many sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

des022

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  10:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to condense my sutras down to 10. I have like 40 sutras that are all meaningful to me and because I have so many, it is like it is overload and I often skip samyama because I have so many. For the sutra health, would that include diet and strong mental health? I consider directly perceiving the sushumna to be my ishta. I was randomly walking downtown one day and saw this mural on a side building which I was deeply taken aback by. It just screamed out loud the sushumna to me. I found it moving. Also of all the AYP writings, my favorite is Spinal Breathing. I have it on mp3 and must have listened to it like 50X's since I got it about a year ago. With that said, would the sutra I prefer ,inner space, include inner sensuality, pratyahara, spinal nerve, prana, nadis, all that good sushumna stuff? I havnt directed entered into inner space, but I have randomly, recently over the last month, twice have seen the light/dark concentric circle in my head during pranayama. It was plain as day there and then disapeared after a couple of minutes. I was grateful to have it.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How long have you been practicing samyama Des?

I would recommend doing the 9 sutras Yogani covers in his lessons. It is a very broad range of sutras that are very balanced.

In samyama, being familiar with the words (the sutras) is important, but understanding with your mind what they mean is not. The less mindy you get with the sutras, the better space your inner silence has to make them work in your life. I had written something about focusing on the outcome of sutras here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5569#50223

So trust Yogani's set of 9 sutras in the beginning and after a while you will find your inner silence guiding you to any other sutra that may be required, if they are required at all.

Wish you the best.
Go to Top of Page

des022

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  9:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Shanti, I have inconsistently been practicing for a year now. I am a little different in that I am lying down when I do samyama. As far as sutras go,I think I will stick to the 9 sutras given by Yogani instead of complicating things. This might make the practice more effective for me

Edited by - des022 on Jun 09 2009 11:01:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  08:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by des022

thanks Shanti, I have inconsistently been practicing for a year now. I am a little different in that I am lying down when I do samyama. As far as sutras go,I think I will stick to the 9 sutras given by Yogani instead of complicating things. This might make the practice more effective for me

Awesome. Yes, yoga is about subtractions and simplicity. The mind loves complications.. and the idea is to get over the mind so you have more access to the silence. In a few weeks/months you will actually be able to feel the way samyama works.. and the simplicity of the 9 sutras and yet the power in the 9 sutras become obvious. Then if you feel drawn toward some other sutra go for it.. but for now, you wont know what is best for you, because what is best for you does not have to be what your mind thinks the best is.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000