Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kmf333

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  10:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit kmf333's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone :)

I have a question: I am meditating 1 time a day for 20 minutes (AM), and 10 minutes at (PM). I have been irritable during the day and I have not been living a balance. Of course, maybe I wasn't balanced before, and now I am??? Work has taken a complete backseat, as I am content doing "little" things, too. Of course, if work came up, I would take it. It's just a slow week. Also, I am kind of "fuzzy" during the day and restless, too. I feel great doing things I would have rushed through before, and I am definitely less "outcome" driven, enjoying the process and not the outcome, so to speak.

I went to 10 minutes at night after hearing Yogani's chapter on self-pacing in his Deep Meditation book.

Does anyone have an opinion about cutting back on the AM meditation, too?

I can't gauge if what I am feeling is okay and just new, or if I'm just not "caring" about life's "stuff" so much.

I have not suffered any repercussions to my lackadaisical attitude yet and I don't want to "worry" about every little thing again, but I wonder if I'm slipping off my game, so to speak. How far can I go with all of this?

Thanks for any insight!

Kelly

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  12:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kelly,

Yes, indeed self-pace. Irritability and restlessness are sure signs of overdoing. I know, it happened to me. Also you are the one who had an intense first meditation, right? This might mean you are really sensitive. Best wishes. Keep us informed if cutting back helps.

Love,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  12:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kelly,

also, make sure that you take good rest after every meditation session. I'd say at least 10 - 15 minutes. When you feel that a lot of purification happened you can rest longer, perhaps lay down. This alone could eliminate your irritability and restlessness. Well, experiment...
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I over do it then I get a bit irratable. It's only happened twice and my wife notices it straight away, even before I say anything .Feeling fuzzy is just my default mode so thats OK

My advice is to listen to your inner voice and trim back when it is trying to tell you to slow down. Just posting that you feel 'fuzzy' would be a definite example that you need to do a bit less.

Remember that less can be more. Some people can get as much benefit out of a few minutes DM as those doing 30 minutes or more. 20 minutes is recommended, but that is when you are nice and stable and is equivalent to going out for a 6 mile run which you would normally build up to.
Go to Top of Page

mysticone

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  6:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit mysticone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kelly,
Yes you should self pace yourself. And I agree that if you are irritable that lying down for 10 minutes or so after you meditation will be very helpful. If you feel that you need to cut back then you are probably right and it could be very helpful to cut back for awhile and then build back up slowly.
Go to Top of Page

kmf333

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  6:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kmf333's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jill - thank you so much for your suggestion! I tried ten minutes this morning, and I also laid down for 15 minutes afterward. That seemed to do the trick because I felt great today Less was definitely more because I really did feel pretty terrific. And, yes, I am the one that had the intense first experience. They have all been pretty intense, actually. I have not posted all my experiences because, of course, they're just "scenery," but it has been like a life transforming experience. I'm trying to keep it all in perspective, but if I could, I think I would pick meditating over almost everything else right now, and I don't think that's good either. The irritability and the feeling of restlessness later are what is keeping me from overdoing it. Too much doesn't feel good at all later - lol. Thanks again!

Minirom - as you can see from the above paragraph, I took both your advice and Jill's, I cut my meditation and laid down afterward, and I felt great today. Thanks, minirom, for your post

Karl - thank you so much for your input. I'm sure "fuzzy" is not your normal state - lol! Thanks again, Karl!

I'm sure that if I didn't have this site and the advice of Yogani in his books, I would have quit by now because of the intensity of it all. But I think self-pacing is the answer

Thank you everyone - stay well . . .

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  5:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I'm sure that if I didn't have this site and the advice of Yogani in his books, I would have quit by now because of the intensity of it all. But I think self-pacing is the answer

Great... Well done!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000