Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The SELF realizes its SELF by it SELF
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  5:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Yesha ( aspirant or sadhu)

One thing I have always found of great interest - pondering the notion of what I can do to accelerate development.I have been practicing this this sadhana for a while [perhaps life after life eh?] like most on this AYP community and cannot help think "what more can I do?" - AYP absolutely helps; what facts do I need to consider?.

One thing to recognize is meditation sets the stage for enlightenment ( Kevalya or one w/o a second) to arise. It lays the ground work. Lets consider the following from the Kathopanishad.

" This Atman cannot be attained by study of the Ved, nor by intelligence , nor by much hearing. He whom the Self chooses by HIM the SELF can be gained. To him this Atman reveals its true nature."

It suggests that the Atman (which is Brahman) reveals Its nature to the soul of him who is desirous of knowing his own true Being. It (the SELF) is attained by him who Esha or God shows HIS grace. This is also pointed out in the Mundaka Upanishad also.

So, with meditation and "dipping" yourself into this pure consciousness daily you are preparing and tilling the soil to gain HIS grace for this Moksha to happen.

Its uncanny, no "thing" has to be captured to gain SELF - its there 7x24x365. More things have to be lost then gained! e.g. the small self, ego, etc.

So what stops this progression to SELF ?
Asantah + Asamahitah + Asanta Manasah = that (one) who has not controlled the senses,is not concentrated, or/and is without tranquil mind.
THIS IS WHAT MEDITATION IS FOR - to prepare the ground for Moksha to happen via controlling the senses (bring them inward toward SELF; create a tranquil mind to stay established with SELF and
remain concentrated i.e. Samadhi).

To this end there is no doubt says this rishi of this Upanishad - he ends this valli (~section, called a "creeper", as its attached to the Ved) by saying - "he (she) who has discerning intelligence ( that is, the ability to discriminate this from THAT) as the driver and a well-controlled mind ( disciplined to stay in pure consciousness) as the reins of a chariot, reaches the end of his journey that highest place of Vishnu."

You reach that goal! Vishnu means "all pervading" - this is a feature or quality of Brahman ; the rishi says you reach Brahman.

May you all live to be 100! (100 is the symbol of complete fullness - enlightenment)

Regards to all and Shanti , shanti shantiye.

Frank in San Diego

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  11:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank. Thanks for your post(s). Truly there is nothing as astonishing as direct contact with the Self. Ambition and desire melt away; there is no reaching because there is no goal.

m

Go to Top of Page

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  11:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We are already the self. We cannot be anything other than the self. Is there anything one can do to become the not self? The problem is that the self cannot know itself just as the eye cannot see itself. The eye needs a mirror to see itself and the self needs the mind to know itself. The self can be known by the self only when reflected in the pure mind. However even when the self is not reflected in the pure mind it still is the self. The purer ones mind the clearer the reflection. But the reflection can never be the original. Knowledge that one can never be anything other than the pure self is indirect knowledge and seeing the pure self reflected in the pure mind is direct knowledge. This is my inference please comment.

mystiq
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000