AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  12:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends.....

I have been meaning to post this topic for a while now but I keep forgetting....(haha, that's a joke )......

What I am hoping to discuss a little here is the importance of memory in the "Realization" process. Personally I have a very poor 'short term memory' due to a lifetime of excessive pot smoking. What I find is that I have about a 5 or 6 year memory "lapse". Meaning I start to remember a little more of my past every year, but continue to have a hard time remembering things in the more recent past. What I am wondering about though is whether or not this is a bit of a blessing in disguise or not. What I am noticing is that due to my lack of short term memory I am able to let go of things easier. I simply forget a lot of what has happened to me quickly. This makes it a lot more possible to live in the "now". Focussing on the future is still a bit of an issue, but focussing on the past is for the most part not a problem. The drawback of this is that I forget a lot of what I am supposed to remember to do. Nothing too important usually, but it can be difficult sometimes because I will forget to go buy dog food or something which is not good for the puppies....they get hungry quick. Or I forget that I am supposed to do something after work and just go home for my sadhana and don't think twice about what I said I was going to do first. I know it is not good to focus on the past nor the future, but it is still important to remember to do the things you say you will do. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to find that proper balance between "living in the moment" and holding onto things in the past just long enough to be able to do everything you say you will do? It's not a big issue here, but one I am interested in discussing. Thanks in advance for any input.....I may forget to thank you later

Love,
Carson

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  03:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson,

I can relate. I also have poor short- (and long)-term memory due to years of smoking bud. Personally, I don't think the memories are lost forever. Every once in a while, a random memory that I totally forgot will resurface (Like really old childhood memories). Don't know if that's any consolation to you...

quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to find that proper balance between "living in the moment" and holding onto things in the past just long enough to be able to do everything you say you will do?

Unfortunately I have no practical solutions. But I find that with daily DM, the things I promised to do will just whisper to me at the right time. It's kinda unsettling to think how close I am to forgetting something and then it just comes at the last moment.

I would also inquire into 2 things: Integrity and self-fulfilling prophecy. If you're living in a state of high Integrity, you tend to remember things when you need to and keep your promises. You will remember things without really trying. Also, if you're always saying to yourself (and others) things like "I have bad memory", "I'm bad with names", etc., you tend to create those experiences.

There's more but I forgot what I was saying...

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000