Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kmf333

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  01:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kmf333's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I hope that it is okay for me to post this question. I am too worried to meditate again, as I'm not sure what happened the first time I meditated which was this morning. I have been reading "Hinduism for Idiots," and trying to find a way or techniques for reaching higher consciousness. That being said, I came upon this site and started meditation this morning. I began just as the instructions stated, and used the "I am" mantra. Here is the "problem." I remember starting the meditation, but then I just remember the end where I was chanting "come Viyu." I've spelled that the way I heard it V long i then long u. Even though I had just gotten up this morning after a good night's sleep, I immediately feel asleep after this meditation. I have no idea if this means anything at all or whether it is a good or bad thing. Can I trust myself to meditate again? I know this sounds crazy and I know I must sound like a loon, but I am a successful career woman and a mother and wife! I think I will not meditate again until I find out more about my first experience. Thank you for any information you can give me! Stay well . . .

Edited by - AYPforum on May 31 2009 04:15:31 AM

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  02:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you felt more LOVE ... continue...and spread it around.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  02:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Kmf and welcome to the forums.

concerning your experiences there's no need to worry, they aren't unusual we see them a lot with the people we interact with it's just a purification phase and you'll get over it most probably from the scd or 3rd time you sit.

the practice of deep meditation and the experiences will become very gentle.

but let's give some credit to what happened for experiencing smthg like this from the first sitting clearly points out the fact that AYP's deep meditation is a powerful tool which really works.

about sleeping at the end, that's the beautiful kind of sleep which purificates and it's a phase of purification which your nervous system needs at the present time and will pass and you'll find yourself later on coming out energized from DM.

to sum it all up: you are not a loon, what happened with you is smthg very common and will pass and there's no need to worry you should be happy for deep meditation seems to be working on you from the start.

just relax, do the practices enjoy the ride and never mind the scenery.

light and love,

Ananda

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  02:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kmf333 and heartly welcome to this forum!

You have read a book and from that decided to start meditating. Have you ever been into spirituality before at all? It's difficult to judge from your post... If you are totally new to this, it can be quite overwhelming to start experiencing spirit and a wider consciousness. For me it came as a total chock!

I would doubt though, that you are a total beginner, since you go so beautifully deep at once! Have you had spiritual experiences like this before?

If you do, then what ananda says hopefully makes a lot of sense to you! It's purification happening! To learn more of how the I AM mantra and AYP teachings works, just continue to read the lessons from the beginning and onwards... most of your questions will be answered in the lessons and should there still be any hesitations - this wonderful support forum is here to help you out!

Many questions in the beginning are about different experiences during or after meditation - just know that whatever happens in meditation is OK! A lot of "weird" stuff can happen, and it's all about purification - divine energies cleaning out blockages in the body-mind system! When you fall asleep like that afterwards, it means A LOT of cleaning has taken place - so much that the body needs some time to recover before it can work in daily life again.

Good luck with your practices!

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  04:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  07:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kmf333

and trying to find a way or techniques for reaching higher consciousness.

From experience, just do the meditation and be completely neutral about it. Have no reason for doing it or not doing it, have no like or dislike. Make it like cleaning your teeth twice a day. Expectation can make it seem difficult, or mesmerising because that is how the mind works, it creates the conditions around the expectations which gives experiences and all experiences are self made illusions, treat them that way, simply observe without opinion.

Things will settle down quite quickly if you adopt that way of meditating. Every so often you will have a hiccup as you forget that basic idea and get engrossed in apathy, discontentment, frustration, amazement, joy and love.

Go to Top of Page

kmf333

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  1:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kmf333's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your quick replies. I was a little afraid of coming off as a weirdo, so thank you again :) I am really grateful!

Thank you, Machart, for your reply :)

Thank you, Ananda, for your explanation. I really am so happy to hear that this is common. I have lots more confidence now! I went ahead and meditated this morning and it was different, it was awesome, and I didn't feel as big a need to sleep afterwards. AYP's DM is obviously a powerful tool, and I'm so glad I "found" you all here.
I loved your advice "just relax, do the practices enjoy the ride and never mind the scenery.!!! :)

Hi EMC. Well, I am reading the "Hinduism for Idiots" book right now. But I have read and listened to numerous times Eckhart Tolle's "Power of the Now" and "A New Earth." His books are what led me to finding the "religion" I could "practice" to raise my consciousness. I am unbelievably fortunate in that I can remember having moments of what I guess you could call total bliss/peacefulness/being (consciousness?) These moments absolutely defy any explanation I can give. I wish I could explain, but I can't describe it. It is like I've always known this was there, but have been unable to "connect" with it on my own. It just happens when it happens, and nothing has felt like it until I started reading Eckhart Tolle's books and looking into Hinduism. Now I feel like there is a way "in." Anyway, that's my spiritual background (kind of lacking I guess).

I am so exited about what you and Ananda said about purification!

Thank you Karl! I took your advice and meditated this morning without expectations/worry and it went well.

Again, thank you all! :)

Stay well . . .

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  3:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vayu is the Hindu god of wind. You a have past-life karmic connection to Vayu and Hindu practice. These memories are stored in your channels and chakras. Thoughts are essentially wind. So Vayu is a fitting ishtadevata. It's nothing to be afraid of. It's just like meditating and hearing a song from a few months ago. Try to sit up in siddha asana or padma asana so that you don't fall asleep. Continue with your mantra.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  4:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Konchok Ösel Dorje

Vayu is the Hindu god of wind. You a have past-life karmic connection to Vayu and Hindu practice. These memories are stored in your channels and chakras. Thoughts are essentially wind. So Vayu is a fitting ishtadevata. It's nothing to be afraid of. It's just like meditating and hearing a song from a few months ago. Try to sit up in siddha asana or padma asana so that you don't fall asleep. Continue with your mantra.

Hi Osel:

To clarify a key point, siddhasana or padmasana (full lotus) seat are not recommended for those just starting out in AYP deep meditation. A comfortable seat with back support is recommended. If desired, more advanced ways of sitting can can be explored once the basic meditation practice routine has been stabilized. Support for that is provided later in the AYP lessons.

Just a reminder that the AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama support forum category is for AYP deep meditation support only. The same requirement goes for the Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas support forum category -- AYP technique support only.

It has become necessary for us to insist these two forum categories be reserved for support on the core AYP practices. Many have been coming in from other systems of practice and sending new practitioners off in multiple directions, into other systems/traditions, etc. That only leads to confusion and doesn't help people who are trying to get started. So kindly stick with the AYP lessons and direct experiences with the AYP practices in the two support forum categories mentioned.

There are plenty of other forum categories to discuss comparisons and alternatives to the AYP practices, entire other systems of practice, etc. So please have those discussions there. All input is encouraged, but not in these two forum categories where it can be confusing for those undertaking the AYP practices for the first time.

Many other styles of practice can be found in the "Other Systems" forum category.

Thanks!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  4:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kmf333, and welcome!

The key points were well covered in previous posts. When in doubt, check the lessons. It is suggested to follow them in order, where everything related to the AYP system of practices is laid out step by step.

The fuzziness and sleepiness you experienced in your first session will pass (maybe it already has). As mentioned, it is inner purification occurring. You are off to a good start.

If you feel a bit overwhelmed for several deep meditation sessions in a row, or if there is discomfort or irritability during daily activity, feel free to shorten your meditation time temporarily until things smooth out. This is called "self-pacing," and you will see a lot more about this important method for managing practices as you move though the lessons.

By the way, while yoga is used in Hinduism, it is not Hinduism. Yoga is non-sectarian and its elements (sometimes with different names) can be found in all of the world's religions and mystical traditions.

A good way to think of yoga is as a "tool box" of methods that can be used to help awaken our innate spiritual potential, regardless of our religious orientation, or lack of one. It is all within us ... yoga is the technology of inner awakening.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

kmf333

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  6:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kmf333's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Konchok Sel Dorje - Thank you so much for your post! Thank you for your very informative post! I have looked up Vayu online, and he's very interesting! Thank you again. :)

Yogani - Thank you for answering my post! I am following the lessons step-by-step, and I just want to say how gtateful I am for this web site! I liked the "tool box" analogy for Yoga. That made a lot of sense to me. I think I have confused/intertwined the Hinduism method of "praying" with yoga. I thought they were the same thing. I have so much to learn, but I am so on my way with AYP :)

Thank you again and stay well . . .

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  8:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Yogani, I sometimes forget about your system.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  10:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Konchok Ösel Dorje

Sorry Yogani, I sometimes forget about your system.

No problem Osel.

It goes with the territory with so much growth in traffic. Not complaining at all. It's great to have so much expertise coming in from so many sources.

At the same time, we'd like to reserve these 2 out of the 22 forum categories for focused support on these core AYP practices covered in the online lessons and books. It seems reasonable.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  11:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It can be disconcerting to find that the spiritual Path is real with real phenomenon and that the world isn't exactly like you have been raised to believe, like pure materialism. Then something incredible shakes us to our core. We want more but we are afraid to venture down that road alone. You are not alone, dear Kelly, but we do travel by the seat of our pants in a sense the whole way. Take heart, fear not. You are not crazy, you are blessed.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  05:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jillatay

It can be disconcerting to find that the spiritual Path is real with real phenomenon and that the world isn't exactly like you have been raised to believe, like pure materialism. Then something incredible shakes us to our core. We want more but we are afraid to venture down that road alone. You are not alone, dear Kelly, but we do travel by the seat of our pants in a sense the whole way. Take heart, fear not. You are not crazy, you are blessed.

Love to all,
Jill

I like that Jill thanks, I can feel it penetrating into my core
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  5:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me Too!

Love,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Jill!

Kelly, it sounds like you're off to an auspicious start. Please keep us posted...
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  5:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Kelly

awesome experience! You've got my attention

Roman
Go to Top of Page

ZionMe

Brazil
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  3:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ZionMe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

well,

i dont know if the words "come Viyu" has a special meaning...but sometimes when you sit in medidative poses or asanas,you sometimes can experience confused things.
Sometimes when im couting the time in these postures(breath counts) i feel asleep without notice it and the number count follows like that: "...,171,172,173,174,175,176,177,178,179,180,...190" "171,172,173,174,175,176,177,178,...190" and then again "171,172,173,174,175,176,...190", till i suddenly realize what was happening, that i was asleep and i was counting and recounting the same numbers again and again. What im trying to say is that in the asleep state(wich you fall unwittingly) you can enunciate anything without notice along several minutes.
Not always this can happen, someday it will and someday it will not, it really depends of your mental attitude before the perform of the posture.
In my opinion you chant these words like you could chant others. Nothing to worry.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000