Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Ujjayi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  07:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Can someone explain how to do Ujjayi. I know I'm suppose to partially close the epiglottis to produce a hissing sound, but I'm not sure how to do this or what it feels like when I'm doing it right. Is this like partially swallowing or are there some other tricks to be able to feel what this feels like when it is done correctly. The epiglottis is something I don't think about as having much control over except when I'm eating. In Kriya, they teach doing an "EE" sound in the throat on exalation. However, this is done with open mouth breathing. Is this doing the same think with the epiglottis?
Thanks,
Bob

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  08:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RSS

Since I don't do Ujjayi I cannot advise you on this, but I'm sure others here will chime in.

In the meantime......If you haven't read Yoganis lesson on it...here it is:

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here some vids of people doing Ujjayi pranayama while sleeping =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW5r...ture=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzx...ture=related

Do this with a closed mouth, trough the nose and you get to know how Ujjayi is done. It is said, that this sound has healing properties and that's the reason why you do it at night. If it is done in daylight, it is reduced at night also, at least according to Shibendu Lahiri :) The great grandson of Shyama Charan Lahiri (Lahiri Mahasaya).
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  10:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Bob

It's kind of like hocking up a loogie. You partially close the throat, so there is friction that can be both heard and felt. We do it on the exhale in AYP. Kind of hard to describe, you just gotta get a feel for it.

Hope this helps.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  8:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks cosmic,
Now I understand!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  01:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Thanks cosmic,
Now I understand!

You got it, bro

Happy Journey
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000