Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP in Seattle, 1909
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  2:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It had nothing to do with yoga, it was a world's fair, called "A-Y-P Exposition", for Alaska - Yukon - Pacific, intended to promote trade.

Alaska was a foreign country then. A 300 pound President Taft opened the fair by telegraph from Washington DC.
Not very many people had cars. There were no TV's.
Washington had only been a state for 20 years. People worked 59 hours a week for 50 cents an hour. Women couldn't vote and minorities were suppressed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com:80...l?cmpid=2628

It's amazing what has happened in 100 years, and what AYP means today!

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  5:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, cool topic about my home town. From the shreds of information I can dredge up from my memories of Washington State history classes in Junior High, I seem to remember that the Gold Rush in the Yukon pretty much put Seattle on the map because that was the starting point for all the miners on their way up to the Yukon.

I live in Japan now with my wife, so it is nice to read about Seattle again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000