New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  07:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, RSS and Holy. Are not the Kriyas of Yogananda and of Lahiri Mahasaya the same, since one was the Guru of the other ? I assumed that K Tantra's Kriyas were the same as SRF's. I recently got a link from the forum and downloaded Lahiri's Kriyas. I hope these are the genuine ones. There is an interesting method in it to elongate the tongue without snipping the frenulum, for Kechari.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  11:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are very good videos vom Gurunath Siddhanath in youtube. He clarifies so many things about kriya yoga, it is worth checking them out.

Here is one that relates to your question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VVc...ture=related

But it is true, that there is still some difference I have encountered between different transmissions. Some go up to the medulla oblongata and then go forward to the place between the eyebrows as the breathing route. Some others instead of going to the front, just continue upwards to the bindu chakra and then back again to muladhar. In the end all seem to work. Going to the point betweenn the eyebrows is harmonizing very well with the IAM mantra.
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  8:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Holy,
I just watched the youtube video and was wondering if you (or anyone else) know how his kriya differs from Yogananda's?
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  4:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
RSS,

according to his book "wings to freedom" (which is very good btw), the route is exactly the same as Yogananda's description. But there is no hint to wheather it is done with the nose or the mouth + the special sounds. I'll go visiting this man's satsang as I am highly attracted by him. But I am not quiet sure if he will allow me to tell something about it openly. I am also against secrets and like the open format Yogani is providing here. But in the end with some inner intuition you will know what is right and true for you.

To make this thread a bit more detailed and why some systems do emphasize this kind of breathing soo much:

The ideal timing for the upbreath is said to be 22secs+ and for the downbreath 22secs+ making a total of ~45secs+ per breathing round or kriya as it is also called.

Doing 12 kriyas that way leads to a state of pratyahara (sense withdrawal).

Doing 144 kriyas (12x12) in one sitting leads to a state of dharana (concentration).

Doing 1728 kriyas (144x12) in one sitting leads to a state of dhyan (meditation).

Doing 20736 kriyas (1728x12) in one sitting leads to samadhi.

These numbers are given by Lahiri Mahasaya and this kind of precision is really unfound anywhere else. Students of him also have approved these numbers, some have added 1-2 kriyas more "to make sure" in their daily sittings of mostly x-times of 144 kriyas. The number of people who have reached the beginning and higher states of samadhi speak for this pranayama technique. Ok, to make clear, it is just the main part of the kriya system and is always followed by a silence technique like yoni mudra (jyoti mudra) that creates the space to let meditation and samadhi happen.

The problem is, you can't easily adopt this system to a busy working life. 12 kriyas with the optimal breathing length take about ~9 minutes. 144 take about 2 hours. Some of these 2 hours consume about a third to half of your waking time. 1728 even takes about the whole day =) 20736 would mean ~12 days nonstop breathing. But you know, it is a sure system, 12 days and samadhi. There are very very few who do it like that. And it is said that doing about some 144ers lead to samadhi within some years too.

I can't verify this, as in my early attempts (where I did kriya yoga solely) I never reached more than 8x12 breaths without having insane kundalini disturbances. You can easily say I was not nearly ready for the immense awareness that grew. The daytimes were like heavon, but the night times were like hell. You reach continuous awareness after about 6 months were you land at 6x12 kriyas ( at least for me in both attempts ). That means the whole night you are awake watching all the stuff within you. Many times I got lost in unknown time-spaces within my lower chakras were I was amazingly afraid not to find back to my physical body. Only after some years, through the Maitreya meditation technique which is simply watching what is happening within and outside the body, the witness became obvious and all fear is replaced wih peace and acceptance. Pushing only pranayama will surely make anyone crazy who is not at the same time practicing a technique that switches the identification to the witness of everything.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000