Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Impact and importance of visions deluted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  8:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Possibly a strange topic for discussion, but do you think in modern times the impact and importance of spiritual visions has been lessened due to the flood of visual images from modern media?

I was reading about the lives of various spiritual seekers and their visions and I began to wonder if in our modern era these types of experiences are ignored or shrugged off as nothing more than fantasy or dreams induced by the overwhelming amount of visual stimuli we receive from tv, movies, the internet, ect.

Thoughts?

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  8:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
images from the sense of sight?
do these visions come from the senses?
I don't know because I've never had one, that I am aware of, of course. well, actually, I had one a few years ago. not a vision but a very strange optical variation. the guy who owns the studio that is my yoga home was coming up the stairs. didn't really know the guy much. you might know him. he's an up and coming kirtan guy--David Newman--and when got to the top of the stairs I saw two big black dots where I should have seen his eyes. It was momentary, but quite real. I was not suffering from a hangover or any other physiological disorder that might have produced such an effect. It was bizarre and took me aback momentarily. I told him about it afterward and he suggested that we were somehow connected. Since then, no connection. He's doing his thing, singing kirtan around the country, and I'm teaching yoga, working, other garden variety stuff.

Anyway, I guess that was spiritual vision of a sort but I do not think the vision was sensual, from my senses, but from another place. Just throwing that out there.

Love,

Jon
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  9:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
here's D. Newman, in case you were interested.

http://www.myspace.com/davidnewmandurgadas
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  11:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello JDAs,

Thanks for the link. I found some more of Durga Das' stuff on youtube.

That sounds like a very interesting experience you had. I think I was thinking more along the lines of visions that happen during meditation. Recently I've been seeing a lot of blue lights and occasionally blue people. I assume it is just some sort of purification process going on, but I wonder if someone was having similar experiences with no background in yoga would ignore them or go to the other extreme and consider themselves insane.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000