Yoga for woman?...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  04:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi.
I recently felt an urge to take belly dancing class, although I never liked dancing, especially in public, before..
But the call was from inside, and it simply pushed me to do so.
I've been practising yoga for about 3 years and a half now..
I gained much maturity, stability and purity in my mind/body/emotions/energies.
BUT, I never felt "THIS is my path".. I simply went on practising the techniques I learned, and by and by, what was natural, flowing, sensual, playful in me before started to fade away..
I became more disciplined, serious, and in search for who I really am and why have I come "here".
Until the day a book came into my hands: The Book of Secrets from Osho. I then started to know more about Tantra and felt this is what resonates deep inside, this is the "fragrance" I was missing in the yoga..
I went through many issues, the past 2 years, because of a deep conflict between "sex and spirituality".. what had never been a problem for me before, became such a taboo and tricky matter that causes tension and argues between me and the person I was sharing my life with..
Meanwhile, I started to include a whole set of pranayama (called Shakti Chalana kriyas) and since then, I felt a turning point:
my body began to shrink, or let's say, became tighter..
But my energy level became higher and higher, and I started experiencing ecstatic feelings and eventually kundalini symptoms.
BUT joy and sensuality were still absent.. the feminine essence turned into a "yogic/masculine" one..
Until the day I took the decision to take belly dancing class..
It was a re-ve-la-tion.
I couldn't believe "this" was in me.. Just 1 hour allowed me to reconnect with the woman in me, the natural sensuality and grace that I had forgotten or neglected all these years..
The energy was flowing in every single inch of my body. I had a glow on my face..simply couldn't believe what was happening to me.
The same day, I only slept 4 hours and woke up at 3am, full of light and energy.. flowing..
Then, the following day, I was browsing the net quickly and suddenly, (by mistake? I doubt it!) I fell on Osho answer about Yoga and woman. I just cried while reading the words below:

Question to Osho:

"I have recently changed from dance to Yoga and, ever since, I’ve had chronic infections and very bad health."

Sometimes it can happen through Yoga because anything that can be good can also be bad — it depends. Always remember it as a basic rule: anything that can be good can also be bad. If there is something which can never be bad, then it can never be good either. So it depends on the person, the situation, his bodily structure, in fact there are many problems.

In the first place, Yoga has never been invented for women. So that is a foolishness really to teach Yoga to women. It was invented by man and for man. So the whole idea is for the man’s physiology, not the woman’s...and their physiology is different, totally different, their chemistry is different. So the same posture may be good for man and may not be good for woman. I have seen this happening many times. Women become very fragile; they are fragile! Yoga puts such pressure on their glands, their hormonal system, their chemistry. It is so different — it was basically meant for man so woman has never been considered. It can make them ill and sometimes many other things also happen.

If a woman persists for many days, maybe illness will disappear, but then male traits will start appearing in her, a moustache will start growing. If you go to Shree Aurobindo’s ashram and see the girls you will be surprised: out of all proportion they all are growing moustaches — too many Yoga exercises. Their breasts will start becoming smaller and it will be difficult for them to carry a pregnancy. Their womb becomes smaller and will become very tense. It needs to be very relaxed, really very elastic so the child can grow in it. The womb has to be very elastic so it goes on expanding with the child. If it becomes very tight the child will be killed or will not be really grown, will be retarded, and then childbirth will be very very painful. So I have watched a thousand and one problems.

In the East women really have never tried so there was no problem. Now in the West whatsoever is available to men, women are also trying. In fact they are trying more than men. In the East you will not find many women trying Yoga...rarely, very rarely. I have not come across any woman practising Yoga. But in the West now the old structure is gone, the social differences are gone. Woman is as free and everything is as available to woman as man — now there are dangers.

A totally new technology of Yoga has to be developed for woman...and that can be done only by women. This traditional Hatha Yoga won’t do. It is really dangerous! So my first suggestion is drop it, completely stop it.

Move to dancing. Dancing is perfectly suited to a woman’s physiology and chemistry, dancing is meant for her. If a man dances he starts becoming feminine. Dance is the Yoga for women. It fits with their body, their curvature, their grace; it fits with them perfectly well. So move to dancing. Dance will bring your health back. And forget Yoga forever — it is not for you. The disease is simply created by your change, so there is no problem about it. Once you shift your energy into dance, within six months you will be perfectly well. This illness will disappear.

So while you are here [at the Meditation Resort], dance, sing, and do a few groups; they will be very helpful. T’ai Chi is very good.... Anything graceful, not drastic. Dancing, T’ai Chi are good but not Aikido or Karate — no. Something in which you can flow naturally and in which there is no need to force your body. These Yoga contortions are not good, mm?

Then I realised that the women I know who are practising the same techniques as me, have a "masculine" look and tendency..
and some of them who had been practising for years have grown moustaches!
Here I must say that Osho answer came to me as a CONfirmation to my feelings, not as an AFfirmation.
So this made me wonder if I was walking on a path that is not the best one for me... no need to point out that it was a shocking and diturbing revelation.
I cannot deny the fact that the practices are very uplifting and powerful.. but I cannot deny the way my body has changed.
Also, I lost the sensitivity and the connection with the senses..
Dancing during 1 hour only was a slap on my face: I came back into my sensuality and flowing sexual energy..
I dropped from the head to the whole system and it was so grounding and whole..
I'm facing a dilemna today: should I let go of the yogic practices, or simply give it some time again and balancing it with belly dancing?
Also I was wondering why there wasn't many women in AYP forums..
Is that pure coincidence?!

Thank you for any input.

Edited by - Goddessinside on May 01 2009 06:26:57 AM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Although the information you received is very good because of the revelation it is causing, it can be very bad if you quit yoga because of it.

First notice that by "Yoga" he is referring to asanas. This is very important. Asanas are only a very small part of yoga, and at AYP many people do not practice them.

Second, he seems to jump to conclusions and then think they are absolute truths. For instance he says if men dance they will become feminine. This is not at all true. I am a male dancer, and know many other male dancers, and none of them have become more feminine. However, we don't practice belly dancing! So that probably makes all the difference.
Having said that, there is a feminine side to dancing. In the ballet world you will find many males who are gay, more so than in other types of dance. But it was not caused by the dance. They were drawn to ballet because of what was already in their personality and body.

I will leave it to the women here to give a more complete answer, but please don't take a small truth and assume it covers a large area, like Osho has done. There are many practices in yoga besides asanas, and besides hatha yoga. He may be right about traditional yoga being male dominated though.
So I hope women here will take the initiative to find what differences this may cause, and lead the women of the world in a good direction!
I imagine the differences would be small, because yoga is not about procreation, and it is connected to the sexual energy, but not so dependent on sexual organ type. Women, correct me if I'm wrong!
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Well I disagree with Osho when he says Aikido is not suitable for women.On the contrary women find it easier to practice it than men simply because it does not require strength.It requires relaxed movement, balance and timing but using force actually makes it ineffective,it simply does not happen if you try to force technique.Believe after 30 yrs of Karate, boxing,weightlifting and physical work, I struggled simply because if the technique did not work for me I automatically used brute strength.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  10:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddessinside.....

Have you tried combining a simple DM practice with belly dancing yet? Using belly dancing as your asana and pranayam practice, and keeping the practice of Deep Meditation to stay connected to your inner silence?

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  12:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,

Thanks for the elegant reply
Well, first, I didn't draw any conclusion.. rather I took a decision:
to be even more aware now of how the different practices affect my system, combined with the belly dancing thing.
I hesitated a little before including Osho's answer in my post coz I fairly know that many people have personal opinions about him, and usually, I noticed it often brings controversy in the discussion.
That's why I pointed out that first I had my own experience and feeling and THEN I read about Osho's answer.
It could have been anyone else words, the thing is it came as an additional element to my inner inquiry and feelings. That's all.
Now, I agree that here, it's about asana or hatha yoga, which is a small part of it for sure.
Yet, this made me wonder if it could be the same possible matter when it comes to the pranayama I'm using..
So, as I said, I decided to watch more carefully what was going on inside during the practices.
Also I don't feel the asanas I'm doing are the problem. These are very basic and gentle postures, and anyway, I do them only for about 15 minutes, just to open up the system.
What actually bothers me is the pranayam, which are very powerful for bringing the Shakti up and enhancing the overall prana flow.
But I suspect kapalabhati-which is part of the pranayam I do-to be quite tough on my system, especially the womb area..
It brings much energy to the brain, but also I feel it's quite aggressive to my womb.. So I don't know and need to watch it more carefully.
My other problem is that I have fear to give up pranayam and/or shambhavi coz it's been a while now I'm using them and they have entered my system.. and when it happens that I don't do those practices for a reason or another, for 1 or 2 days on a row,I immediately feel the energies dropping down..
I was tempted to stop those practices and just do the AYP basic ones instead. But to be honest, I couldn't manage doing this until now.
So I think I'm gona continue and watch what will happen along with the dancing class.

Thanks Etherfish for your input.

Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  12:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Riptiz,

Thank you for your reply.
It's always interesting to listen to those who are really involved in the matters we are discussing..
I cannot say more as I have no idea of how Aikido works.
But I trust you on this
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  12:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carson
(your made me laugh!)
well, actually I thought about doing AYP spinal breathing + deep med. alone with dancing..
All I can say for the moment is that I only took 2 hours of belly dancing and I've already noticed an increased flow of energy through all the system.
I also noticed that spinal breathing gained a lot in terms of ecstatic feelings, to the point I only could do it for about 4-5 minutes instead of 10.
Also today, I had a rush of hot energy through the spine during shambhavi (after chin locks). It's been a while I didn't have it, and today, I was so peaceful and receptive inside, so full of what we could call bhakti or let's say desire to merge and offer myself to the Whole, that this rush brought me into tears; it was an almost unbearable mix of pleasure and pain.

So.. I think I'm gona try different options that could be:

- AYP practices alone + belly dancing
- (Shambhavi Maha mudra + AYP DM) with belly dancing

I think I'll have to be my own lab and experiment with the above
Let's wait and see..

Edited by - Goddessinside on May 01 2009 12:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, sounds like you already know what is best....May God's grace fill your being..... Good luck and be safe. Keep us all posted as to how things are going!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 01 2009 1:30:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Well, sounds like you already know what is best....May God's grace fill your being..... Good luck and be safe. Keep us all posted as to how things are going!

Love,
Carson

I definitely will

thanks a lot my friend.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really have an opinion on Osho. Just commenting on his writing above.
It doesn't matter what other people think about Osho. If he resonates with you, then good.
We can learn great lessons from anyone; they don't have to be recognized teachers even - our inner guru will guide us to great lessons.

It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing, listening to your body.

I like the suggestion of doing a lot more dancing!
You might try other forms also. There are many female forms of dance. I don't really recommend ballet unless you feel particularly inclined. I asked a professional ballerina once "Do you ever feel ballet just distorts your body in unnatural positions just to look beautiful?"
Her answer was "Well Yeah!" like it was not only obvious, but what ballet is about.
Personally I like to see women do Bollywood, Jazz, and Lyrical.

I feel MORE masculine since I have practiced B-Boy, Popping, and House.

So I think it is the TYPE of dance that relates more to gender, not dance in general. But it also depends on the individual. I have a male friend from Haiti, and he can do any women's movement and make it look masculine!

Hopefully women will give more information on the body effects you speak of.
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  12:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Etherfish.
Very interesting post.
Yes, actually I would like to know more about kapalabhati and its effect on the system..
And now I'm writing to you, I just remembered that the guru who designed the set of pranayam I'm doing has talked once about the different paths of yoga..
And I remember he said that the kriya yoga was quite a tough path for women. Bhakti yoga was more appropriate for them.. even if there is always exceptions!
So I would like it if the few women on this website could comment and share their insight..!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  06:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddessinside

5 years ago I was alone up in the mountains for 5 days.........sitting in silence 3 times a day.....walking long hours in the mountains....swimming in lakes and rivers.....and spending early mornings and evenings studying Osho's Book of Secrets. The first Kundalini awakening happend 12 years ago....this coincided with the activation of the hands. But during those 5 days 5 years ago there was a proper Kundalini awakening....starting with becoming aware of "the sound" during meditation....listening to it....and being "taken" by it. Osho's way of putting the sexual force into context released a lot inside.

As you might know, I have practiced meditation for about 24 years now; the past 3 or so years it has been AYP Deep Meditation. I have stayed with no mantra enhancement, only 2-5 min of Pranayama and periodical Samyama (because it will easily cause overload here). Over long periods I could only meditate 10 min twice a day. Whenever there has been complete cutting out of meditation, there would always be more overload symptoms. So always ended up including it again. The way it is experienced here is that the "dip" in source... which is what Deep Meditation facilitates.... is crucial for balance. Practising of Deep Meditation does NOT cause you to grow a moustache!

However - the Kundalini energy effects the whole body, the glands included. There have been times where my period has stopped of itself for months, then come back in a different and lighter way. And there has also been increase of sebum production form the skin and different experiences of mucous production...both from the lungs and from the digestive tract. All these are purifications and disappear over time when the diet/life-style is adjusted accordingly.....and when the ecstatic conductivity refines.

Here....it is not felt that Yoga is problematic for women. What is problematic for anyone is lack of balance. Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama are tantric practices - in fact all of the AYP practices ties in nicely with what is described in the Book of Secrets. Only - one has to adopt an individual practice....and self-pace....and balance..... according to individual needs. We all evolve differently.

Over the past 24 years....with lots of self-inquiry (which in the beginning years were non-relational...not rooted in inner silence...but more circular walks in mind).....i too developed a very serious attitude. This is not due to Yoga....but rather a combination of a strong desire to understand what I am ....and a lack of guidence in how to go about this understanding. This desire....if not properly balanced by leading an active life (which is a major point within AYP).....can lead one into "rigidity of mind". However - if one continues to meditate...continues to listen....continues to integrate what one has understood.....inner silence will create greater devotion accordingly. The practice here led to a devotional practice (about the time of the arthritis...20 years ago).....but not until after starting AYP practices three years ago did these two meet and become one. During times when there is imbalance here (overloads)...earlier it would be due to too much self-inquiry....while as lately it is the devotional practice that sets it off. So i have been proned in both directions. But when in balance...the two are one...one loves and therefore one knows that one knows not......or one knows that one knows not and therfore one loves. And knowing comes of itself. It is one and the same.

Two months ago i started dancing. For the past year or so I wanted to learn Tango...but as it turned out i ended up dancing latin american....Bachata...Merengue....and maybe eventually Salsa. I can vouch for all you say about the dancing. It is wonderful! Here it is first and foremost the JOY of dancing. But it is also fantastic grounding. And - it is great for "loosening the hips"......I do not practise Asanas. I do a 20 min back stretch/Pilates program every morning before meditation...have been doing that for 3 years now...it works well....and it is a great way of saying hello to the body in the mornings.

The dancing.....is about embodyment.....it brings the life energy into every nook and cranny of the body.....and because of the music...and the joy.....it is effortless presence. I also feel that all the hip work is especially good here......loosening up the pelvic area is very important.......emotional energy is often stored there.

And most of all....dancing is living

So dance on Goddess

Only don't shun meditation......were it not for Deep Meditation....the inner guidence towards dance would not have surfaced here.......and were it not for inner silence.....I might have thought myself too old for such a venture What I believe of the thoughts shapes life in every way.....so to look at limiting thoughts with an open eye.....is very fruitful

Enjoy the beauty of your soul and body

Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  06:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How beautiful is Tango Katrine (and difficult to do...)....

Edited by - miguel on May 02 2009 07:37:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  07:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What to say Katrine...
Every words you wrote vibrated in my heart.. and spine!
Yes, you're right, there's a thirst for inner silence and meditation, be it AYP dm or another, and being meditative is an attitude to cultivate 24/7.
Also yes, dancing - especially belly dancing - is a unique way to loosen up the hips and hara.. What is very unique to belly dancing is that every single part of your body is active.. I really felt my brain diffusing/extending to every tip of my fingers!
Very grounding, for sure.

you say:

quote:
i too developed a very serious attitude. This is not due to Yoga....but rather a combination of a strong desire to understand what I am ....and a lack of guidence in how to go about this understanding. This desire....if not properly balanced by leading an active life (which is a major point within AYP).....can lead one into "rigidity of mind".

and you're right. While doing my practices today, I realised exactly this point: it's not due to yoga, rather my own attitude that piled up over time and made me what I am today.. thank you for the confirmation.

When you were reading Osho's book of secrets, in the mountain, it was simply reading the book or you were picking some techniques and tried them "on the ground"?

I would say that reading a few sentences of this book works alone on releasing tons of blocks! Actually, last year, I was reading a technique that has to do with the heart and breast and only by reading, I felt a heart opening.. then I give it a try before sleeping.. cannot tell you what I felt! Also how I slept that night and wokeup in the morning! And my friend felt it and saw the glow on my face while I was reading ..
So maybe I should dive back in this precious book, coz I don't know why, but it's been about 2 months I can't stand quietly and read..
especially Osho.. but when it happens, it's such a great release and with no exception, each time I pick up a page randomly, I get the answer to my inquiries.. and the same "coincidences" are happening to me those last days: whether from the internet or from another source, I get exactly the answer to my questionnings..

Ok, I'm gona face my fear of dropping the pranayam I have, and see what happens with AYP practices alone. (knowing that whenever I do them, I feel the huge effect it has on my energy..but you know, it's hard to change one's daily routine when it comes to yoga practices)..

Thank you so much precious Katrine..

Much gratitude and Love.

Edited by - Goddessinside on May 02 2009 10:57:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  07:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goddess

Great that your inner guidence confirms about the need for balance

quote:
When you were reading Osho's book of secrets, in the mountain, it was simply reading the book or you were picking some techniques and tried them "on the ground"?

Simply reading the book.
My heart singing from all of it

I used another mantra at the time - so sat for 20 min three times a day....engaged in the practice I had already been doing for 10 years.

I remember bonding with a birch tree one morning.....loving it from heart

I did not speak for 5 days - not even to my dog. I communed with him through my eyes (he was very receptive).

You are doing fine Goddess. Don't worry about dropping anything

See....you can fear all you want......yet fear not

Best of luck and much love to you too
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  07:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well,

I haven't practiced much yoga asanas and I'm growing a moustache anyway... I do believe Osho is right though, that the yogic system is made for men by men, and that women may have a natural tendency to become more free flowing in dance! I also think hard core fitness yoga women are more masculine than feminine, but that's just a point of view.

I do agree to a greater sensuality and femininity arising during "free dancing", when flow is allowed to dance itself. Energy and movement IS the feminine, Shakti, so no wonder - I as a woman is going into the essence of my being... emptiness dancing... it clicks! (While Shiva is consciosness, holding the direction of the flow, so a man I guess must become really empty to find his male natural Shiva authority and let it come through instead of the mind). When I start dancing from the mind, the movements get out of flow and it looks much more stiff and masculine and often they become more sexy from conditioning.

I'll tell you what I learned about dancing on the three week retreat on Fiji!

On Fiji we danced a lot, and we also had dance teachers there. The first week there was a samba teacher there. She was very beautiful and feminine looking, but inside she was very mindy and tried to teach us the steps by logic and structure with little success. We just laughed and scattered into chaotic dance patterns.

The last evening before she went home there was a show evening. She would have a samba performance and then the Fijians were to have a show. She came in with the whole equippment - feathers, string trousers, mini bra etc... and danced the sexiest way she could. With an audience smiling, but not really impressed. The energies in the room were quite low frequent.

Then a Fijian young woman came in to dance a traditional Fijian dance. A murmur went through the audience... The frequency was totally different... so sensual, flowing, soft and feminine - sheer innocence and beauty! We were spellbound, and she was asked to dance for us many times after that first performance! Naturally feminine without playing on any sexuality at all in spite of lots of hip movements. Look at this woman and her hands and praticularly her feet... pure relaxed sensuality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbedT1WYTj4

Look how these women move with a certain dignity and integrity (my point of view)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvjbv9gCgs&NR=1

while their western counterparts sexualize it (Can you feel the drop of frequency in this?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaCrN0_Xz8

(That is how belly dancing actually started... women dancing in the harem - for each other! Not for the men! For the fun and beauty of it... later on it was developed to a "show dance" also for men and the sexy layers were added to it. I guess you just tune into the original, Goddess! )

Now, after she finished, the men came in! And *phew*... I have NEVER, before or after, felt such pure male energy! They danced traditional "combat" dances and I litterally FLEW backwards with arms flipping in the air, laughing, crying, screaming from the masculine power they pushed out in the audience! It was a male natural authority and strength that was astonishing, combined with tremendous JOY! They just had it... the emptiness, letting the direction come out and manifest through their bodies. The audience SCREAMED! I've tried to get hold of a video of it, but haven't succeeded... These bad quality pieces on Youtube shows a bit of it, and you can hear the audience go wild here as well, but it's like nothing compared to the dancers we had... (of course! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6A2weOkbvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGZ9OQYCbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNH1fqGH4Wg&NR=1

I later got to learn that all Fijian boys are brought up as... girls! When they reach puberty, they get to choose if they want to stay female or turn male! No wonder they have this natural balance of feminine and masculine in them, and from that balance they are able to go fully into their male essence... no need to devaluate or shy from the feminine to do that, as has been the way of so many other cultures! (However, the girls can not choose to become "male" so... there's not a total balance in the society...)

When the Fijian men were to teach a dance to the western men on the retreat, it became very, very clear that they had troubles finding that male energy and authority! Likewise, many of the women on the retreat had difficulties to be so soft and feminine as the Fijiean woman. Men were too feminine without any inner direction, and women were too masculine, without the soft sensuality.

I don't know if there's any particular "feminine" yoga, but the yoga I feel most at ease with is the one described here in which She can move the way She wants, and the flow is natural:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4857

Thank you for bringing the subject up, and for the Osho quote. I like Osho and his controversial way of expressing!

Edited by - emc on May 02 2009 08:05:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel

quote:
How beautiful is Tango Katrine (and difficult to do...)....

Yes......if I ever throw myself into that adventure.....who knows....I might surprise myself
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Well,

I haven't practiced much yoga asanas and I'm growing a moustache anyway...

*LOL*

.....*LOL*......I didn't get past this......still laughing. Of course we all grow some "unwanted" hair here and there.
*lol*... Thanks emc

Will read your post now

...........*LOL*..............
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Writing my post took so long I had not seen your posts, Katrine!

I agree with you - it's about the balance, that's what I described also in my post!

Dancing is living! To say helo in Fiji is: BULA! And it means LIFE!
Dancing is also communicating! It is believed to be the first "language" humans developed. We have danced from the start...

Since I have troubles getting enough time to exercise, what I do nowadays is to put on the fantastic music from Fiji (the one you hear on the videos) and I just dance around in my living room! It's fantastic music, and tuning into it makes me dance like crazy!

Edited by - emc on May 02 2009 08:17:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BULA emc

Must see you dance one day!

I enjoyed all the videos....beautiful

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fascinating subject, thanks!

I am male (last time I checked ) but also wondered many times if Yoga is for women (I know, it sounds machist but it is not meant like that at all...). I mean, women - in general of course - do not seem so interested in all the subtleties of 'mind' or 'controling one's mind' or 'getting to know th emeaning of life', etc. Women, it seems to me, are less concerned with existential matters than men are. Hey, maybe I am wrong and I am going to be jumped at here but I am talking from my own perspective and experience only! No harm intended!

I once heard a beautiful explanation for this. It was from Russell Crowe, the actor (from all people - no zen master I know ). He said that it seemed to him that women were not so concerned with existential matters as men more commonly are. Women are more connected to the earth and practical matters. He believed it maybe had something to do with the fact that women are biologically connected with the circle of birth and death (through the ability to conceive and deliver a new life) and so are almost instinctively connected with the 'meaning of life'. Men are kind of 'lost' in this ('inferior' in a way) and so 'strive' to understand and reach furtehr to the bottom of the question ("who am I" and all that stuff). Of course, some are so good at it that indeed they get very far!

I felt that, everytime I tried to explain or teach yoga to a woman, it felt almost weird. It was like pouring out all these abstract concepts about 'truth' etc. that they did not care about much. It was, in a way, like preaching to a priest . It was liek they already knew all those things, and did not even had to think about it or worry abotu that, so what the hell was I talking about then?...
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  08:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more fun on differences between the male and female manifestation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMZ73mT5zM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is great to hear others resonate with Osho also. What this proves is that Yogani's no guru-bashing policy is correct. Even though I find flaws in Osho's words, it has nothing to do with the power of his teachings for others.
And this can be applied to all people around us: Their flaws don't invalidate other parts of them.
Once there was discrimination because of skin color. Now we have discrimination because of political and religious beliefs. None of it is valid.

Let's not forget that Yoga is not asanas. Perhaps asanas were created by men, but supposedly they came from automatic movements, inspired into people well along the enlightenment path. So then they were taught to others to try to inspire them also. So if these automatic movements came through men, obviously they could be gender influenced.

How about some women who have had automatic movements creating new feminine asanas for the women of the world?

But let's not get caught up in the western idea that asanas are yoga. Yogani has shown that meditation is the heart of yoga.

i haven't watched the videos yet - later.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad that there is some female perspective on this now....Very helpful....

My only observation is this.... I occasionally will go to an asana class. Usually either Bikrams, Ashtanga, or Vinyasa flow.....There is ALWAYS at least 90% females in the class. Most of them are MUCH more flexible than I, and I assume most of them do postures regularly, yet I have not noticed a single girl with a moustache. (usually they are mostly pretty cute!) Just an observation.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on May 02 2009 10:36:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is great to hear others resonate with Osho also. What this proves is that Yogani's no guru-bashing policy is correct. Even though I find flaws in Osho's words, it has nothing to do with the power of his teachings for others.

I began with meditation 3 years ago reading the book of secrets and doing osho meditations like kundalini meditation from osho or nadabrahma meditation...some teachings are powerful altought i dont trust in Osho very much (strange life stile and organitation...).Thanks to osho i "tasted" the joy of no mind for the first time in my life.
He inespired my path at the begining very much.I liked his revolutionaries points of view

Edited by - miguel on May 02 2009 10:36:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  11:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know how that is. I was helped more than anything by Castaneda's teachings, which may have very well been a hoax! I think he was quite knowledgable, but I think the stories of where the information came from, and what actually happened may have been fabricated. Christians say "The lord works in mysterious ways". The forces of the universe in my life have worked in ways so dark that I doubt if most Christians would want to claim any part of it!
But it was always exactly what I needed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000