New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gaurish

India
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  7:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit gaurish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

Warm Greetings from Goa,India.

I am a complete newcomer to the path of spirituality and can describe myself currently as "young and curious" stage. I am 20 years with a bit of background in Hatha Yoga.

Since there are many spiritual seekers here, I want to ask a question - How do you choose your spiritual path ? How do you know which path is right for you ?

Currently I am reading a lot of Yogananda, Swami Ramdas and Ramana Maharshi. I have been reading up books by/about these three masters for last few months and feel attracted to all three. I picked up some of their methods (posted online) and tried them but still cannot decide which path might be meant for me.

My question here for everyone is - how did you choose your calling ? Do you follow one path or can we integrate paths to suit us ?

Thanks a lot

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  10:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Gaurish,
The easiest way is to let your inner guru show you the way.
You can pick any one system for this, but of course here we favor the AYP system which has been shown many times to be quicker than others. I followed Yogananda's system several years, then found this to be better for me.
Just click on "Main Lessons" at the top of this page, follow the lessons for free, and you will begin to develop "inner silence". Once you develop this, your inner guru will show you the way. You may or may not continue here at that point. Also some people here follow other systems in addition to coming here, although it is not necessary.
So everyone has a guru inside themselves, and once the mind is quieted it will show you the way.
You have to meditate twice a day to start, not very long, just read the lessons and enjoy!

Edited by - Etherfish on Apr 05 2009 10:42:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  10:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked one that felt just right, like something I could commit to, and I knew it would take me where I wanted to go. It has to be a path that you will want to keep going down, one that seems to fit you been if you do not know why. When I found AYP, it sounded like just what I was looking for.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  02:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gaurish, welcome to AYP. I have been a seeker for a while now and ever since I started on this quest seriously, I kept "stumbling" onto what seemed to be the right thing. I tried buddhist meditation, Yogananda's system and I found, of the lot, AYP to be the most scientific and practical system of "doing", to progress spiritually. Yogani is one of the most selfless human beings I have come to know(through AYP) and for the last 8 or 9 months I have been doing AYP.As you know, AYP is really ashtanga Yoga customised for today.Awakening of your kundalini by this system happens sooner or later, depending on your effort, and your own "samskaras" or accumulating "Karmas".
There is another system called "Shaktipat Mahayoga" where, by the grace of a highly spiritual Guru, your Kundalini is jump-started by transmission of the Guru's power to you. Such Gurus are very rare, though there are many false claimants to this status. When such a Guru gives you "diksha",your kundalini is awakened, and your spiritual journey can be deemed to have commenced, and as you sit for meditation everyday, you automatically start "doing" all manner of "kriyas", without your own volition.You are really not required to "do" anything yourself. Mata Kundalini is believed to take over your spiritual progress provided you put your full faith in her.
But I am now convinced that if you are truly seeking, you "stumble" upon the system best suited to you.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Apr 06 2009 09:41:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Gaurish welcome to the forum.

I tried many different paths before I found AYP from Kundalini Yoga through Western Mystery Tradition. When I got myself into trouble I started posting questions on the net at loads of different esoteric sights.
I got no replies that made any sense, then I got an invite from Yogani to join AYP I rejected it the first time, there is so much rubbish on the net.
The second time I thought I will have a look and I was amazed at the down to earth way it was presented. I was in quite a bit of trouble with my spiritual work at the time I was practicing emptiness of mind exercises and having quite nasty and sometimes painful convulsions that no one seemed to be able to explain.
I emailed Yogani and he explained the cause of my problems and recommended some AYP techniques to me that cured them almost instantly, that sold me. That was in the first year of AYP quite a few years ago now and I haven't looked back since.

I am eternally grateful to Yogani.

All hail AYP
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  08:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Gaurish

I agree with the other posters here. I would also add that you should have a set of criteria that you use to evaluate what you come across with.

For example, I would put Safety first as very important. Yes, there are powerful techniques and perhaps there are some 'teachers' who can spark you into accelerated evolution. However, that is very dangerous. This effects the body, psych, spirit in ways that can be very hard.

I know that there is this saying that one will not be given more than can be handled in life. I don't agree with it. I'm sure there are people in padded cells who have been given too much. Or ones with medical complications. Nature abhors a vacuum, and when one makes room for growth, it will happen.

The second criteria is Ease. If its hard (to do or continue) you won't do it. It can take many many years to make real progress

Another one is Clarity. Paths are so full of historical debris and nonsense that one is expected to give up on rationality. I think a good path will be honest and admit up front that they don't have all the answers and not build a house of cards in your psych. This is true for established religions, of course.

Of course, Wholeness is important. Can you integrate the path into ordinary life? Or will you be taken on some life-denying journey?

I could go on. My suggestion is that AYP is fine to get you started, if it is not you will eventually find out. As you study other systems you will see that AYP duplicates the essentials of other systems.

Some gurus strive to make their teaching unique using some silly stuff, like special mudras and chants. Or shaktipat stuff. How many Shaktipat wielding Gurus have been involved in scandals?

Be patient and take it slow, what will be, already is.

jo-self

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  09:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo-self,

I do not think it wise to criticise any one form of yoga or spiritual path. Of course, for each Yogani there are numerous dubious guys. But you cannot therefore fault the method itself. Everyone has to try and find his path. There are many who swear by the Yogoda method, and yet again there are many who have got frustrated with the time it takes, and have given up.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1
I do not think it wise to criticise any one form of yoga or spiritual path.

Sure its wise. That is how you avoid being duped. Maybe its impolite to speak of it, but we have to do it internally, no? Also, Shankara used to go around arguing with other traditions (not that I'm worth a bit of dust on his sandals, of course]

quote:
But you cannot therefore fault the method itself.

Sure you can. Each method comes from a certain tradition or trajectory and some are just not very sensible or holistic. And that many appear contradictory (Taoist vs Yoga, for example) seems to imply that we don't really know what is really at work here (what is really happening to the brain).

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  6:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jo-self wrote:
quote:

"How many Shaktipat wielding Gurus have been involved in scandals?"

Is this a joke like how many South Carolinans it takes to screw in a light bulb?*
If you just find silence through meditation, your inner guru will guide you, and you don't have to worry about the credibility of anyone!

*Six. One to screw in the bulb and the other five to talk about how good the old bulb was.

Edited by - Etherfish on Apr 06 2009 6:35:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  11:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo-Self,

I entirely endorse Etherfish. To each his own ! I see no point in arguing about this. It is a waste of my time. Everyone learns from his/her experience. I, for one, find both Yogani's and the Mahayoga system, valid. And I am speaking out of personal experience, not knowledge from books. I can never fault either.Gaurish asked for suggestions on what path to follow, and I gave mine. It is for him to try and experience for himself.Since Gaurish lives in India as I do, he is welcome to contact me and I could direct him to a Guru, and he can judge for himself.
Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Apr 07 2009 08:12:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  12:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gaurish

How do you choose your spiritual path ?

Sometimes your path finds you. Like Krish, I also "stumbled" upon AYP. I had tried other methods and philosophies, and was frankly getting sick of searching. I received an invitation to AYP and was tempted to delete it, as Richard did. But the tagline "Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living" got me curious and I tried it. That was about 5 years ago. It worked for me, and my searching stopped (Well, not immediately, but it slowed down and eventually stopped).

quote:

How do you know which path is right for you ?

You just know. Something about it will feel right. If the practice is effective, and you respond well to it, then it's probably worth trying for a while.

quote:

Do you follow one path or can we integrate paths to suit us ?

Yes and yes . Your path is your choice. AYP is just a set of tools to help you on your path. It can be applied to any (or no) religion, lifestyle, philosophy, etc.

Welcome to the forums, gaurish . I hope this helps you in some way.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  2:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We don't choose our path, the path chooses us.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  10:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I entirely endorse Etherfish. To each his own ! I see no point in arguing about this. It is a waste of my time. Everyone learns from his/her experience. I, for one, find both Yogani's and the Mahayoga system, valid. And I am speaking out of personal experience, not knowledge from books. I can never fault either.Gaurish asked for suggestions on what path to follow, and I gave mine. It is for him to try and experience for himself.Since Gaurish lives in India as I do, he is welcome to contact me and I could direct him to a Guru, and he can judge for himself.

Sorry if I appeared to be arguing. Just giving my own perspective. In the end all paths are equivalent if practiced correctly, etc. Some of course, are more 'holistic', and some are more full of crap then others. This is true. As to 'faith' stuff, like the path finding you and all that. If true, great. It was true in my case.

I hope he finds the path he deserves, whatever it is; the world needs more good people.

Peace.

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  09:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo-self, no problem. Paths full of "crap" can't be paths to anywhere good.
We are all seeking the same destination. I firmly believe that when somebody seeks help or guidance, I should provide such guidance only if I myself have experienced it, at least a little bit, so that I speak with conviction. As for my shaktipath experience, after hearing about this Guru, I traveled a long distance to meet him and speak to him, before I agreed to take Diksha. One look at him and I knew he was 100% genuine. His utter humility and self-effacing manner was enough to make me believe he is the "real macoy". When I went to his ashram at 10.00 in the evening, with not much hope of meeting him at that late hour, he had just arrived from a 6 hour journey by public bus from another ashram, and was visibly exhausted( he is 84). Still, he agreed to see me and spent the next hour explaining the path to me. Before that he invited me to have a meal at the ashram first ! I was completely bowled over !

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Apr 10 2009 09:18:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  4:58:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Krish:

Sounds like a great experience. I'm happy for you. It will only grow and flower, even when you think it has stopped.

I wouldn't mind an external Guru myself sometimes. Alas, I'm in a place where that is not so readily available. I guess the Shatipaths I've had in the past will suffice. But, having a real Master would be cool. I believe the "Guru is within" stuff too, so I am not on a search, (that I know of).

Take care.

quote:

Hi Jo-self, no problem. Paths full of "crap" can't be paths to anywhere good.
We are all seeking the same destination. I firmly believe that when somebody seeks help or guidance, I should provide such guidance only if I myself have experienced it, at least a little bit, so that I speak with conviction. As for my shaktipath experience, after hearing about this Guru, I traveled a long distance to meet him and speak to him, before I agreed to take Diksha. One look at him and I knew he was 100% genuine. His utter humility and self-effacing manner was enough to make me believe he is the "real macoy". When I went to his ashram at 10.00 in the evening, with not much hope of meeting him at that late hour, he had just arrived from a 6 hour journey by public bus from another ashram, and was visibly exhausted( he is 84). Still, he agreed to see me and spent the next hour explaining the path to me. Before that he invited me to have a meal at the ashram first ! I was completely bowled over !

Krish

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  12:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo-Self,

Would you like to share your Shaktipath experience ? The when, by whom, what kriyas, etc.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  1:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Path chose me. A result of the past pushing and the future pulling.
Go to Top of Page

amitjaipaul

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried lot of different paths before coming across AYP. I love its simplicity and the open-sourcish attitude to enlightenment :).
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  7:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Amitjaipaul! Lots of us here feel the same way.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  9:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gaurish, I'm Indian born in USA. I started out in yoga and hinduism at young age. My grandfather was very into Yogananda, Bhaktivedanta, Maharshi Ramana. I pursued Shiva tantra and many other things.

I now follow the Buddha's dharma whole-heartedly. I have a Tibetan lama as my teacher who is an advanced practitioner. It is a very nice relationship. I'm also teaching meditation at the dharma center.

My advice to you is follow your heart. Your karma and your feeling will guide you to the teaching that rings true for you.

I spent a lot of time in self debate and with others too. Despite what many will lead you astray, there is no higher or lower teaching. Every path leads to enlightenment if enlightenment is with your karma on that path. Keep your eye on your awareness, and you will know when your progress may require finding the different teacher who can give you something more you know you need. Or not, depends on you.

For me the Buddha's teachings are clear; his teachings are direct; my samadhi on this path is unsurpassed; and I am very appreciative of a living sangha of high masters to rely on for guidance. I'm not one who thinks I can figure it all out on my own. That's just me. You should trust your gut, as much as possible. The inner guru is your mind.

Don't try to ride some fast path. Feel the energy of the teacher. It should be kind, sweet, generous and wise. Not like a salesman; like a mother.

Good luck.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Apr 11 2009 9:59:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  12:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gaurish,

Above all, don't go to somebody that says "you pay/donate so much money first and I will guide you to self-realisation". Spiritual teaching and money should not mix !A lot of people have lost a lot of money on such frauds!

Krish

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  09:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Gaurish,

Above all, don't go to somebody that says "you pay/donate so much money first and I will guide you to self-realisation". Spiritual teaching and money should not mix !A lot of people have lost a lot of money on such frauds!

Krish

I agree 100% on that!

But you do need to look at the amount they charge to judge that. For instance there is one guru online who charges $400. to "fix" money problems, and $10,000 to get rid of karma. Obviously he's in it for the money.
On the other hand, when I studied Yogananda's lessons, they charges a certain amount but it was just enough to cover paper and postage, and the monks who worked there don't get paid.

A good teacher focuses on passing on information, not receiving money.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  10:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish,

Agree with you completely. I didn't mean the YSS kind of fees, which is a pittance. I am talking of the making-a-fast-buck type. There is a "guru" who "teaches" meditation in Pune, India, who charges $20/- US, per hour, and insists that the pupil take 2 hour daily lessons for a week, for 6 to 9 months, just to learn meditation. This is a huge amount of money in India!Most of the participants are, however, Americans and western Europeans.
Then there is this school that teaches enligntenment, in the north-west US, that charges $1000/- US for a 2-day course in Kundalini raising, and you must attend at least 2 programs every year for your whole life! All this sounds too commercial, rather than spiritual!

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Apr 13 2009 08:39:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Etherfish,

Agree with you completely. I didn't mean the YSS kind of fees, which is a pittance. I am talking of the making-a-fast-buck type. There is a "guru" who "teaches" meditation in Pune, India, who charges $20/- US, per hour, and insists that the pupil take 2 hour daily lessons for a week, for 6 to 9 months, just to learn meditation. This is a huge amount of money in India!Most of the participants are, however, Americans and western Europeans.
Then there is this school that teaches enligntenment, in the north-west US, that charges $1000/- US for a 2-day course in Kundalini raising, and you must attend at least 2 programs every year for your whole life! All this sounds too commercial, rather than spiritual!

Krish

Sounds like robbery and crap, I don't know about commercial.ANYONE on here can teach another the technique of mantra meditation in 10 minutes.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's say you are a spiritual teacher and your entire life is devoted to provide teachings. How are you supposed to support yourself? Yogani has one way: free on-line, but the books are sold at a profit. They are not expensive books, by any means. That is fair is it not? What if your approach is more face to face and don't sell books? Should you not charge for your time just like any other professional mentor would? Sure there are scams all around. But there are genuine teachers too. There are some teachers with excellent karma who's excellent teachings become noticed by a wealthy benefactor; then, they are donated a house and an endowment. That allows them to provide lessons free of charge. But not all are so karmically endowed. You can't jump to the conclusion that because someone charges a fee that they are not honest. At least in the West, no one is handing out food to monks. Everyone has to support him or her self.

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on Apr 13 2009 4:50:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  6:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

But what is fair to charge for your services so you can make a living? That is where the scammers take advantage of the ignorant. In the US, it is normal for anyone to charge $20 to $75 an hour for many different services where it is one-on-one, then professionals like doctors, lawyers, psychiatrists charge much more. But in India that is a lot of money.

And if you are able to somehow work with several people at once, the charges should be lowered. So $500. a day is quite high when a lot of people attend, even if it includes hotel and food. Of course a high class hotel would cost more than that, but I doubt if that is what you get.
When I am on the road as an electrician, I can usually survive on $100 a day easily, eating in restaurants not fast food, and staying in a low priced but clean motel. A few cities have notoriously higher prices within the city itself.

By the way, Yogani doesn't make a living from AYP. He puts all of his time into it, and there is often barely enough to cover expenses.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000