Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Ujjaji
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  07:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi.This Sunday will be two weeks doing 5 mtes DM twice per day.I feel comfortable,without overloads.I think i will try adding 5 mtes spinal breathing twice per day.I feel i need it for balancing my system before meditation.Its difficult doing this short rutine of only DM for me,because im really "hungry".
My question is related to ujjaji practice:
Must it be considered as a practice apart like mulabhanda or sambhavi,and in consecuence it must be self-paced,or can i add ujjai since the first day (or a few days later like the main lessons says) without problems)?
I know i mus wait one month,but ill try it next monday.
Thanks!

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Miguel, you can add Ujjayi once you are stable with spinal breathing. So add SpB and wait for a week or so. If you are smooth with it, add Ujjai.
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/41.html
In a week or so, or whenever you are feeling steady with the ten minutes of pranayama before your meditation, add the following features: On the exhalations, allow your epiglottis to close enough so that there is a small restriction of the air leaving your lungs. The epiglottis is the door in your throat that automatically closes your windpipe (trachea) when you hold your breath or swallow. By partially closing it as you exhale, a fine hissing sound will occur in your throat. This is called "ujjayi."

Then in a few weeks if you feel like SpB and meditation are going smoothly, add mulabandha. Then same goes for sambhavi.

When you add new practices is your choice (there is no rule of 1 week or 1 month or 1 year). But try to add one new practice at a time and keep it going for a few days/weeks to make sure you are not overloading and only then add another new practice. This way if you overload, you will know which practice is causing the overload and you can self pace accordingly.
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/55.html
Everyone is different, and you should only take on new practices according to your capacity. This means you should be stable and comfortable in your current pranayama and meditation routine before you undertaken new techniques. If you are borderline and go for it, you will find out soon enough if you are taking on too much. That's okay. If you find that you are taking on too much too soon, just go back to a comfortable level of practice and try again later. Design a more gradual approach for yourself. No harm done.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  09:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks shanti.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,

quote:
Its difficult doing this short rutine of only DM for me,because im really "hungry".

Why don't you do 20 minutes of DM twice a day?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi.
Because of overload problems
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,

I see.
In that case, if I were you, I would proceed slowly. Ujayi breathing is a fairly powerful practice, and a stimulator of kundalini. If you are adding SBP for stability, then adding ujayi breathing could counter that. Many people have found that SBP (practiced minimally) can help stabalize a situation, so you could try it and see.

Personally, after adding SBP, I would wait until you are stable enough in your practices to go back to 20 mins DM before adding any more powerful practices.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.My intention was adding 5 mtes more of DM,but i think maybe is better a little pranayama,for favouring a little the "run" of energyes.I think i need it,but im not secure.
"Ujayi breathing is a fairly powerful practice, and a stimulator of kundalini."thanks!i didnt know that
Thanks
Ill take your advice.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 26 2009 11:43:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000