Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Head falls back during mantra meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After Spinal breathing and yoniu mudra, often, my head will fall way back during meditation, somewhat on it's own (kind of like it would go if I was doing camel posture). Sometimes it goes straight back, sometimes it falls slightly left or right and back.

I don't actually think to do this, it just kind of happens. Anyone else have this happen?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  08:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like Automatic Yoga to me.
quote:
From the FAQ : http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=2231#2231
Sometimes spontaneous movements will happen as the nervous system tells the body some position is needed to help the purification. These movements are called "automatic yoga", and this was probably where all of yoga asanas (postures) came from to begin with.
When these movements happen, we just let them, and return to our practices, as they are just more "scenery" along our path.

Here are a couple of topics that could help.
involuntary movement during meditation
and
neck movement
Go to Top of Page

stasuzi

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  6:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stasuzi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It happens to me all the time - sometimes my mouth opens - I just sit there with my head cocked back and my mouth open! Please tell me more about your experiences - I would love to hear them! Stacey
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi solo and all the people,This happened to me in my first meditations.
It dissapeared whit the pass of time (only a few months).I remember it was uncomfortable in meditations.All the time putting my head in the right position in meditation time.I think it will dissapear whit time and practice.
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  12:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it happens to me whenever i meditate....i think its because we become more relaxed during meditation and the head either falls in front or backwards. good thing.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  4:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a quick update on this topic. More automatic yoga today and of late. While sitting with legs crossed, I bend over and put my head to the ground. From reading the lessons I underatand that this is for purification of the shushumna.

A few weeks ago I went into a deep sleep like state while in this position and heard a hissing sound from the inside when I "woke up". Today I went back into that deep sleep like state and when I came up into sitting position my head was just filled with light. It was very nice. I just sat there and enjoyed the scenery for a few extra minutes even though my "set time" to meditate was up.

Hope all are well
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ed and Stacey,

I experience currently lots of automatic movements of all kinds during deep meditation, including the ones you are talking about. It ranges from tiniest shivers to vigorous whole-body movements. This started to hapen after my "auto-shaktipat", some one month ago. I've discussed my experiences with people here, and after receiving fairly extensive advice, I'm now happy with the movements. It happens often that I feel very joyful, open and loving after a meditation with lots of movements.

Roman

Edited by - mimirom on Mar 30 2009 4:40:49 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000