Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Spiritual Eye
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  3:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just some questions for those of you who experience the spiritual eye.

Did you know about the existence of the spiritual eye before reading anything by SRF or Yogananda?

Is the spiritual eye as Yogananda describes, the golden ring is the OM vibration, the blue part inside corresponds to christ consciousness (awareness of everything in the universe all at once) the star is the doorway to cosmic consciousness which is the state of samadhi and of God beyond creation - are these things actually true?

I have read that the spiritual eye is like an astral "tunnel" whereby people can see ghosts and persons in the astral realms, as well as acting like an x-ray that can see inside bodies and also perceive light in dead bodies revealing that there is still life processes going on in them. It also acts as a psychic perciever with things like remote viewing and it has spherical vision.

Is the spiritual eye all these things at once? If so, why haven't i come across absolutely any references to the spiritual eye in any psychic books or met any psychics that know anything about the spiritual eye? Psychics tend to see things in the mental space, which is where we can witness our thoughts, our imagination, and dreams. But they don't seem to know anything about the spiritual eye. Why is that?

It only seems to be people familiar with Yogananda's teachings that see the spiritual eye. I wonder why.

Also, mantra meditation, whether the TM variety or AYP style, seems to create a state of thoughtless awareness, which is the stated goal of Yoga and therefore would correspond to samadhi. But why aren't people in the TM movement familiar with the spiritual eye if, in fact, it takes the ability to penetrate the star in the centre to enter samadhi?

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  8:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neptune (nice nic!)

I am so glad you replied and with what you have said. It raises many interesting points.

Firstly, i totally believe you.

Secondly, i have come to understand that the human being's rationality simply isn't adequate enough to be able to explain all these phenomena. In other words, as humans we seek understanding and we do this through our reasoning faculty, and often in life this is an inadequate explanation for the many anomalous experiences that human beings actually have. There doesn't seem to be any reasons in particular why we experience spontaneous spiritual things. Even the theory of karma is inadequate as an explanation. And yet the experiences are still there.

I am still in the process of trying to understand all these things and yet i now know that trying to understand is actually futile because phenomena do not always accord with reason.

But to take up the thread again, i can understand why you don't agree with Yogani's POV about scenery. Especially after reading Yogananda. But Yogani may have a point, and a very important point too. All Yogani is saying is that we may not necessarily understand why things happen the way they do and as such all we can really do is surrender and keep on practising. But on the other hand if there are definite spiritual markers or maps that carry very specific meanings, i don't see why they should be ignored. It is a chicken and egg debate.

Can't comment further at the moment. I am heading off into sleep land now :)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  07:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi and Neptune,

quote:
But to take up the thread again, i can understand why you don't agree with Yogani's POV about scenery. Especially after reading Yogananda. But Yogani may have a point, and a very important point too. All Yogani is saying is that we may not necessarily understand why things happen the way they do and as such all we can really do is surrender and keep on practising. But on the other hand if there are definite spiritual markers or maps that carry very specific meanings, i don't see why they should be ignored. It is a chicken and egg debate.

Yogani never said "it's all scenery, ignore it"... he said "it's all scenery, enjoy it, even as you zoom on by with your spiritual practices". Here are two quotes from the main lessons:

http://www.aypsite.org/204.html

Yogani:
"Another aspect of advanced yoga practices is the prudent handing of experiences, whether they are mundane or extreme. This is a path of enjoyment, and we are entitled to enjoy the "scenery" we encounter on our journey to enlightenment. However, the scenery is not what will advance us on our path, It is our practices that will move us ahead. So, after an admiring look at the passing scenery, no matter how beautiful or attention-grabbing it may be, we easily go back to the practice we are doing. If spiritual experiences come while we are in our daily activities, as they certainly shall, we then can continue to enjoy the experiences, or go back to whatever it is we are doing. "

And

http://www.aypsite.org/92.html

Yogani:
"On this earth we are in the business of putting our nervous system in good working spiritual order. That is what we are here for. This can only be done by continuing to nudge the nervous system every day to higher levels of functioning. As soon as we become fixated on any particular aspect of our spiritual anatomy, we may be doing so at the expense of the overall enlightenment project. For this reason, we do well to consider all the inner mechanics and experiences to be going on "under the hood" as we zoom along on our road of advanced yoga practices to enlightenment."

So according to Yogani's teachings you can even hang out and enjoy them for a while if you want, before getting back on track with what you are meant to be doing.

It follows from what he has written that if you are following the AYP teachings and you start to think that staring at golden rings is what you are meant to be doing, then you are off on another journey.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Mar 20 2009 05:40:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000