Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Kundalini and sexual activity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRS

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit CRS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, everyone:

I've recently purchased Asanas, Mudras, and Bandhas - Awakening Ecstatic Kundalini (from the AYP Enlightenment Series) by Yogani.

It's a good buy, very useful. Available on iTunes.

Chapter 3 of this audiobook gives us an overview of Kundalini. We're told that it represents a storehouse of sexual energy. So far, so good. But we're also told that "if sexual activity is minimized, a buildup of this energy occurs, and can overflow into creative behaviour", etc.

Is Yogani telling us, then, to minimize (or even abstain) from sexual activity? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm a bit confused about this point. I understand that this sort of practice is key to classic Hindu asceticism, and I know that Buddhism (at least Theravada Buddhism) tends to restrict these kinds of activities. So it might make sense.

Does this minimization of sexual activity include masturbation? "Sexual activity" seems like a broad term, or at least more broad than I'd like it to be.

I'd appreciate some clarification.

Kind regards,

Christian.

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  06:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christian,
Yogani is not telling you to do anything.He is simply advising you of the fact that minimising sexual activity(including masturbation)leads to an increase in the energy storehouse and therefore further progress on the path.This is common teaching anywhere where Kundalini is involved and I believe also in other spiritual teachings.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christian,

Yes, Dave already answered your question. But more than that, from what I understand Yogani does not recommend minimizing (or maximizing) sexual activity. He has said this several times in his writings and radio interviews. He recommends that you do not change whatever the confortable degree of your current sexual activity is, but only consider the perservation and cultivation of sexual energy by staying pre-orgasmic for most of the time since this can help on the path.

For me this is also a confusing factor at the moment - the very relationship between sex and enlightenment.

You can read more about this (more related to your questions) here:

The relationship between sex and enlightenmet:
http://www.aypsite.org/54.html

Where tantric sex fits in the overall yoga routine:
http://www.aypsite.org/54.html

Hope this helps! I am sure as you read and think more about this and, more importantly, asyou keep on practice and advance in your practice, all will become increasingly clear to you.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  7:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as with most everything Yogani teaches - aside from doing your core practices of meditation and/or pranayama let "lifestyle yoga" come of its own accord without forcing anything. If it is meant for you then your body will take you in that direction.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000