Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra creation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  6:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have read the lesson on mantra and how more syllables sweep the subcosciously differently and how different vibrations target different centers in the body and go in different directions.

All that said, what about other mantras, say in English? What if someone wanted to use the words like love,compassion,joy, happiness, wisdom, fortitude, equanimity, health, healing, wisdom, Christ, Jesus, etc? Could words like these achieve the desired result as well? Could using words like these as mantra enable them to manifest more fully in your day to day life?

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Could using words like these as mantra enable them to manifest more fully in your day to day life?

Hi Solo,

This, apparentely, is Samyama. Lesson here: http://www.aypsite.org/150.html

Also apparently you can meditate on any word really and achieve good concentration and meditative states. Any word that you like you can do it. Apparently the only thing to do is to be consistent in its use, like in AYP deep meditation with the I AM mantra.

That said, the I AM mantra has been researched by Yogani and has other effects as he describes and as you have read, resonating with parts of our spiritual anatomy. Meditation is a vast subject and we are still scraping the surface in its understanding I believe. The fact is that some techniques (old and new) work well, like AYP meditation, but each person should find a technique that they resonate with and can use it regularly and safely over the long term.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  10:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This brings up a question I have.

I tried "ayam" for a couple of weeks, and it felt extremely uncomfortable to me (especially the "y"), to the point where I was going to abandon mantra meditation and go back to breath meditation.

I asked for spiritual guidance, and have ended up with a mantra that sounds like "ah-hoom" or "ah-hoong" sometimes morphing into "alla-hoom".

Are these sounds just reverberating with different blocks or pathways in my body? How can one mantra "feel right" and another not?

Or are these just mind/ego games I'm playing with myself?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Namaste :)
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  03:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Yes the different sounds reverbarate in different ways to our bodies and it differs for all of us depending on our individual requirements for purification.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wigswest

This brings up a question I have.

I tried "ayam" for a couple of weeks, and it felt extremely uncomfortable to me (especially the "y"), to the point where I was going to abandon mantra meditation and go back to breath meditation.

I asked for spiritual guidance, and have ended up with a mantra that sounds like "ah-hoom" or "ah-hoong" sometimes morphing into "alla-hoom".

Are these sounds just reverberating with different blocks or pathways in my body? How can one mantra "feel right" and another not?

Or are these just mind/ego games I'm playing with myself?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Namaste :)

hi wigswest,

what you were going through with the IAM mantra was something usual and it will pass and it actually shows that deep meditation really works.

smthg like that usually happens when a lot of obstructions are being purified at the same time.

so to take on an easier trip it is best to self pace, and shorten the deep meditation time which seems to have been really working for you.

instead of twenty minutes shorten the time down to 15 and if the symptoms persist then make it ten minutes and shorten the time of your pranayamas and other yoga practices in case you are doing any; sometimes you might even have to cut off some practices.

now you might be one of them sensitive practitioners or just having too much of a good thing but to figure that out i need to know what have you been practicing up till now.

and in case you are happy with your new mantra practice then by all means stick to it and consider what i said and the ayp lessons as food for thought.

light and love,

Ananda

p.s: alla - hoom might turn up during the repetition in the heart of the name of god in arabic (Allah.)
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I am also quite sensitive to the I AM mantra and, for example, now, after 10 months or more of regular practice, am also "regressing" back to breath as the object. It feels much smoother. I also could not do more than 10min per sitting with the ayam mantra so maybe it's sensitivity to practices? I will continue with the breath for a few more weeks and see how this goes. For the moment it feels more "natural". I guess each person just has to find what feels right for them and what works bets. "Different strokes for differents folks" as they say

Not sure if this helps but just to let you know you are not alone.

In what regards different sounds or objects I think it works best to stick to one. Choose one you like and are confortable with (mantra or breath, etc.) and stick with it. If you use a mantra, from my perspective, I would use one that has been fairly tested, like Yogani's, for example, and not one 'made up'. Maybe nothing worng wiht it but just in case you run into problems you know where to knock.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000