Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 First week,first questions.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  11:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello my friends,it has passed one week since i took the decision to begin seriously with ayp after a long time tasting it.I ve been doing kriya yoga since october 2007,but not constant practice (because of continuous overloads).I must say that i began meditation path in year 2006 (osho,visualitation cd's,and other meditations like this).
I think that now i begin a constant daily practice for the first time.Self-pacing instructions have change my attitude about my sadhana.Less is more.
I dont practice kriya yoga now.Only ayp.
Ok.Now im doing every day since a week,two meditations,each of 10 mtes.I feel confortable with this and no overloadings.
My questions:

-How much adaptation time is the minimum before adding a new step?
-What new step is better for adding now,5 mtes more of meditation
(15 mtes twice a day) or some pranayama (only 5 mes,without mulabanda and sambhavi for the moment).

Im very afraid about overloads,i suffered a lot of it in the past because of ignorance,and i want to respect self-pacing principle above all.

Thanks ayper's
Big hughes.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 11 2009 11:27:08 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  11:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,

Yogani discusses this here:

http://www.aypsite.org/81.html

"All of these practices are very powerful, especially when integrated as we are doing, and should be done easily and precisely. If you are inclined to extend the time of your practices, do so very sparingly to see what happens at each step. Limiting yourself to not adding more than five minutes of anything in a month, is a reasonable approach. Even then you could creep yourself into an unstable situation. So use your common sense. If activity outside practices is smooth, you are doing okay. If it isn't, then chances are you are pressing too hard or too long. Be sure and keep active in your regular daily life. That is as much a part of it as the practices. Activity stabilizes the pure bliss consciousness and divine ecstasy we gain in practices."

He says elsewhere that as a general rule leave at least a month between adding new practices. I believe each bandha and mudra would count as a seperate practice. Of course everyone is different and some people press ahead faster, and others take much more than one month before adding anything new. If you are a sensative type (and it sounds like you are) I would stick to the one month rule, and leave more time if you get any symptoms of overload.

See also here:
http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

Christi

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,

Great advice and info from Christi.

I would add that as Yogani always says, "The guru is in you", meaning you will know when the time is right. If you are of the "sensitive" type as you seem to be, it won't be difficult to recognize when you are going over, and if you are meticulous about only adding one new practice at a time it will be easy to tell which practice it is that is pushing you over the edge when it happens. So basically, I would suggest that you stick with DM as you are until you get to a point where you feel you are ready for more. Then add 5 minutes more of DM and see how that feels for a week or so...if no symptoms of overload appear then I would continue for a little while longer with 15 minutes of DM. Once you are stable at that level and feel you are ready for more once again, you could add another 5 minutes of DM or add 5 minutes of SBP. If that pushes you over the edge then back off back to 15 minutes of DM for a while and try again later. There is no set amount of time necessary before adding new practices as everyone is different, and you are the only one who truly knows your symptoms so it is important that you pay attention to what is happening with yourself and adjust accordingly. And of course we are always here for you at the forum to help when you have questions or concerns. Hope this helps a little. Best of luck.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Mar 11 2009 11:50:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  1:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thnaks christi and Carson for answering.You advices have helped me very much.
OM.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 11 2009 1:43:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  1:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,

I think it should be added that there can be delayed effects from practices, meaning that it may take a couple of weeks for the overload to show up after adding a new practice. In fact, for myself personally I went through a period where I added too many practices, but it took me two full months before I felt the overload from it. So take your time in adding new practices as there can be delayed effects from this.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  1:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson-Yes i know.And i think the one month period is a great advice.Its great to have peolple around in this path.
Thanks!

Edited by - miguel on Mar 11 2009 2:01:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  07:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.After some DM twice a day,10 mtes each.I began to feel very bad.Yesterday i reduced to five mtes.But i began to feel bad soon (today in the morning afetrer meditation i felt euforia).
What do you think about trying this:

"So with some feedback from Yogani, the idea for her to do a "lite" version of meditation was introduced where she simply sat for 6 minutes a day bringing attention back to the breath whenever she noticed the mind wandering. I have since learned that this is similar or the same way that the Buddha taught meditation.
She practiced this "lite" method of meditation for approximately 3 months and was extremely stable the entire time."

My idea is to do this practice five mtes twice a day.
I dont know why,but this time of my life im too very sensitive to meditation.If this type of self-pacing doesnt work for me,then i dont know what to do in the future.

opinions?
Thanks.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 13 2009 08:05:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  10:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,
What do you mean by "I began to feel very bad"? Did you feel energy overload or "high" or depressed? I know you said you felt euphoria the last time, but can you explain in a bit more detail what that "euphoria" actually felt like? Was it like a "high" on drugs or was it a feeling of being happy and everything was great.. reason I ask, I don't associate a feeling of euphoria with a bad feeling.

AYP "Lite" for very sensitive meditators sounds like a great idea to go with for now. Along with this, do make sure your take a good amount of rest after meditation. Make sure you stay active during the day, because that helps ground the energy high that make you uncomfortable.

Wish you the best Miguel. It will all work out fine. We have had many meditators with us who are really sensitive to meditation, Katrine comes to mind.. and she had to go real slow in the beginning because the ecstasy was so high.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4351#36884
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Just thought I'd mention that up until ca March/April I did 2 min of Pranayama and 5-10 min of meditation. But then something changed.....I worked through the last grief after leaving my ex husband (it was initiated by a pivotal meeting) and all of a sudden I was able to meditate 20 min.

So you see it is a matter of taking it slow and finding a balance that works.

Also look up these lessons, maybe they will help:
Lesson 160 - Q&A – Extreme sensitivity to meditation - what to do?

Lesson 200 - Q&A – Follow-up on a sensitive meditator

Lesson 218 - Q&A – Meditation sensitivity and head movements
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks shanti for your answering and helping.
Ok,iam going to explain you with more detail:
Bad feeling occurs me above all in the mornings,after meditation.In the afternoon meditation i dont have much problems.
In the morning after meditation,first i feel "euforia".I mean i feel very happy and optimist,joy...but it increases and increases and soon after it goes down very quickly.It reaches a higher point too fast and it suddenly drecreases and i begin to feel lot of anxiety and above all:depression.Its like my body cant carry on with all that suddenly joy.Its not like a mistic joy or bliss,no,its only happiness and optimism.But when i go for the first daily activity i dont know why i begin to feel depressed,like cant find the meaning of this life and its daily efforts (anly if i do meditation before).
I have to say that i work in the afternoons and in the mornings i am at home doing nothing.Im a bit lazy.
I know running for the beach in the morning can help me a lot (sometimes i do),i have a tendency to laziness but Ill do it because i think it will help me.
Im afraid,all this morning i ve been really bad.This situation have been a constant in my life since i began with yoga more than one year before.But before i didnt know about self pacing and it was worst.
Im afraid about meditation only following the breathing,because maybe iam going to feel bad again.Im tired of this situation.I love meditation but i have this constant obstacle,and sometimes i think about leaving spiritual path.
Thanks and love.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi miguel,

Do you give yourself adaquate rest time after meditation? If not, this could be a reason why you are feeling as you do...

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This days i have had lot of disconfort in the day and lot of bad and strange dreams (in the night).Ive not rested very well in the night.Yesterday i saw in my dreams somoething like an evil-devil force stuck to my hearth area and sucking my energy from this area.I heard a diavolic sound like "grrrrrrr" when i took atention at it.Only dreams and purification.But strange and scary.
The last week i practiced reiki all the days (now i dont beacause of overloads) since i left it one year ago.I feel after a year doing yoga,much more energy and light going through my body when doing reiki.Much more than one year ago.I can feel love in my hands!
Now i know i have purified a lot my channels this past year with yoga.I see it clearly.
Maybe overloadings are for doing reiki last week and now im paying for an excess?dont know...
Thanks

Edited by - miguel on Mar 13 2009 12:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  12:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi carson.Today i did 5 mtes of meditation and 10 mtes resting.maybe its not enough...
I lie on bed inmediately when i finish DM.Maybe i go out from Dm too fast?
I know all this diconfort can dissapear with more activity in the mornings.I know if i run in the mornings a bit,it can dissapear.I hate exercice...but is a solution.
Thanks.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 13 2009 12:09:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  12:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi miguel...

Sounds like you know what will help and it is just a matter of following through now. 5 mins of DM and 10 mins of rest sounds reasonable, but only you can truly know. If your body feels like it needs more rest, then give it more rest. If it feels like it needs exercise, then give it exercise. Only you can truly know how you are feeling, and it is really up to you to be aware of yourself and your condition. Be aware of your body, how it is feeling and adjust accordingly. This is the best advice I can give. Hope it helps.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  12:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks.
Yes,i know.
Today and other days i felt i needed more rest...ill allow my self to join it in the future...
Today i felt my body wanted exercice.
Maybe i can add this two things and carry on with 5 mtes meditation twice a day (i dont know if using i am or breathing).Ill try it.
Thanks!

Edited by - miguel on Mar 13 2009 12:28:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel,
I agree with Carson, take plenty of rest after meditation.

And I agree with you.. cut back on the reiki.. when you heal others, the process also heals you.. but too much healing (removal of obstructions in your nervous system) all at once will increase the level of energy flowing through you that can make you feel tired and burnt out. I just posted about tiredness due to high energy here, maybe it can help.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  2:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi shati and thanks.
Yes i know.Reiki has that effects in me when healing others.Reiki sessions last week were very powerfull,more than before
I have reduced reiki alot.This is the REASON of my overloads too.
Ill read the post you talk about and thanks!
peace.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 13 2009 2:33:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  2:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Firstly, Activity and Exercise. During these phases, the body feels it is sooooo tired that there is no way it has any energy to exercise."

Yes!its my actual situation.Im learning a lot here!

I have a need for heavy food too,like you explain in that post shanti.

Thanks thanks!

Edited by - miguel on Mar 13 2009 3:02:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  04:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all.
After one week of great inestability,yesterday in the evening i began to experience a relax inside me.for helping me i run yesterday half an hour and it was good for getting back to stability,i am going to stick with this healthy habit.It will help my shadana.
Today i did 5 mtes DM,rested 25 mtes,and after there were no problems.
Now i am good,i think.
I think last week reiki sessions and 10 mts Dm twice a day was the reason of my overload problems.I have stopped reiki now.I am going to do only reiju(a 10 mtes technique) once a week,and initiations once a month (i am joining a spanish reiki group in internet).I think this is a little reiki practice and maybe there will be no much self-pacing problems.(last week i did 40 mtes reiki sessions for4 or 5 days,and that was the cause of overloads)
5 mtes DM twice a day since now.Ill wait one month.
Thanks to all for great advices the last days.
Peace and love.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000