Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama for the Masses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  12:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

I perform Samyama at the end of my sitting practices twice a day, and have found them to be a very powerful practice.

I am also performing Samyama prayer for 1 or 2 family members at the end of the 9 sutras...becoming conscious of their name and then letting it go into silence. There are plenty of other family members/friends/acquaintences that I would love to pray for Samyama- style, but quite simply don't have the time to perform it for each of their names.

Is it possible to combine people into "groups", ie 'Family' or 'Friends' knowing ahead of time the specific people you want to pray for in each group?

Does this dilute the effectiveness? Would it even work?
Would love to be able to help as many people as possible with this, without watering down the impact or spending all day going through every single name, one by one...

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Peace and Namaste

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is it possible to combine people into "groups", ie 'Family' or 'Friends' knowing ahead of time the specific people you want to pray for in each group?

That would work absolutely fine Parallax with samyama its the intent that counts when you think for example family your mind knows instinctively who you mean.

As long as the intent is clear and in this case it would be everything would be fine.

Samyama would not and could not be watered down by being directed at more than one person at the time
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  02:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that true, Richard? I'm just wondering... after an experience...

When I was on Fiji and did samyama... I had the most profound experience one day, that when I released the sutras and believed them to be about "me" - how they would manifest in "my life" - I suddenly got this almost ridiculous feeling of how small I made the effect of it, and how wrong it was, since I as a person really don't exist. It was like a knowing that when I released the sutras for "me" I actually did it for all of humanity - the raising of consciuosness globally in all human beings. It struck me that Oneness actually is Oneness whether I believe it or not or are aware of it or not.

That is probably not in contrast to being able to direct more intention towards a specific being or situation... It's the double sided mystery all the time, and I wouldn't be up for a resolution or explanation for it. I just wonder if it actually "waters it down" to have no effect, as you suggest? Or if it becomes even more powerful?
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I just wonder if it actually "waters it down" to have no effect, as you suggest? Or if it becomes even more powerful?

Sorry emc I am not quite with you I said samyama couldent be watered down not that it would.

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I see what you wrote now, Richard! My eyes are a bit foggy at the moment. I immediately take everything back and with emphasis claim the opposite!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Parallax,

I agree with Richard. Also, doing Samyama on your family is like a one-two puch combo, because the 9 sutras will also have a positive effect on them. Later on, you may find that you're not doing Samyama for yourself anyways

So it's hard to go wrong here.

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  10:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Sorry, I see what you wrote now, Richard! My eyes are a bit foggy at the moment. I immediately take everything back and with emphasis claim the opposite!

My eyes often get foggy senility is my excuse whats yours
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Heartfelt thanks to everyone for their input.

And I know that performing Samyama for just my select "Friends and Family" probably seems a bit exclusive (aren't we all part of the "family"? ) but haven't quite given up all of my attachments yet...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000