Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 sleep,sleep and more sleep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know the problem of falling asleep during meditation has been discussed countless times in the past. But this problem is really causing me a lot of trouble. When my alarm goes off at the end of 20 minutes I realize I have not only been sleeping but also having dreams so I take the meditation session as wasted, and again get into another meditation. And again I fall asleep. Today I had 9 back-to-back sessions for 3 hours and only in the last attempt I succeeded in being awake till the end. Few days ago I had to do 6 back-to-back sessions. This thing is wasting all my time and because of my committment to not skip a meditation session I don't have a choice but keep doing again and again.
This happens only in the morning session so I know for sure this is not some purification thing. Even having a shower doesn't help. Or even waiting for an hour after waking up. Even if I get up without the help of alarm. Can someone give a practical suggestion that worked?

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  08:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You probably have sleep deprivation. How much proper sleep do you get a day? You might want to practice concentration more. Or you could use it to your advantage and try to have lucid dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  08:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus

As long as your getting enough regular sleep it IS purification if you sleep during meditation even deep sleep with dreams you NEED to sleep, the dreams are part of the purification process.

Stop doing back to back practices this is very unproductive and will only make things worse just do your regular meditation session the sleep is good and nothing to worry about it WILL pass I promise.

Edited by - Richard on Mar 10 2009 08:31:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  08:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will agree with Richard. Please just go with the sleep, don't resist it or get frustrated with it. It will pass. I experienced the same thing some time back.. it ran it's course and then went away. Please don't feel like it is a wasted meditation, actually more is happening at a deeper level and the sleep is just what you need for the process to be completed.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  08:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I'm quite convinced it is wasted meditation. How I feel after the meditation is testimony to whether I was meditating or sleeping. Even meditation with racing thoughts has a better after-effect than a slept-off meditation.
I'm planning to play some fast video game before meditating tomorrow morning.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

Sorry, I'm quite convinced it is wasted meditation. How I feel after the meditation is testimony to whether I was meditating or sleeping. Even meditation with racing thoughts has a better after-effect than a slept-off meditation.
I'm planning to play some fast video game before meditating tomorrow morning.

If you are following the AYP system, Yogani is quite explicit in counting sleep within the meditation as part of meditation. Less is definitely more in this case. Going for 9 back to back sessions is unproductive and might actually hamper your progress !! Read the Yogani lessons.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  4:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maximus....

If this problem is bothering you to the point of choosing to do 9 back to back meditation sessions then why don't you try not meditating right away in the morning and maybe get up, shower (cold maybe), have a cup of tea, maybe some fresh air, etc. and THEN sit down to meditate? It is a BAD idea to do as much meditation as you said you did. This is begging for overload issues. Please look for another solution as your "thoughts" on what this is, does not change the "reality" of the situation. And the reality is that this could be outright dangerous. Please reconsider.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
How do you know this is sleep and not samadhi? Almost every session I sit down to ends up in samadhi and is a good sign of progress.Having expectations will lead to disapointment for you.Simply stick to the practices and all will lead to progress.
L&L
Dave

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000