Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 How to lower resting pulse?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  03:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So far in my searches on the internet it seems that the only way of reducing the heart rate is by rigorous exercise over the long term. I am interested in whether yoga and meditation can also reduce the resting pulse.

It seems that in order for metabolism to slow down the heart needs to be able to pump blood through the body unobstructed. This means that excess fat needs to be burnt off and smoking needs to stop. Taking caffene and alcohol, as well as too much salt and sugar, retard the hearts ability to unobstructively pump blood around the body.

In my experimentation with yoga and meditation i have found that relaxation only returns my heart rate to its normal resting level. It doesn't drop further than that. The reason i want to be able to make it drop further is because it seems sensible in terms of the breathless state. Some people might say the breathless state happens by itself but i have seen no evidence of this.

Fasting apparently can help reduce metabolism but i wonder if it lowers the resting pulse or just returns the body to the resting pulse state.

Also older people have lower heart rates because of the aging process.

Slow, deep breathing returns the heart rate to its normal resting rate. But no further than that.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  07:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are all good things for the body, but I think the most difference can be made by eating less or no animal products. This reduces the buildup of fat and minerals that obstruct your arteries, thereby making it easier for your heart to pump blood through them. So high vegetable diet in conjunction with regular, strenuous exercise is good.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read an experiment where Swami Rama slowed his heart rate on command. It was documented in a great booK I read you might like called Yoga and Psychotherapy by Swami Rama.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some people have the "knack" of being able to manipulate the body in these ways. You don't have to learn meditation to be able to do it.

as far as the other claims about Swami Rama are concerned, like using supernatural powers like psychokinesis to move a needle with his mind, and to get someone to photograph him producing a chakra light, these things are bogus. How can a chakra produce a light externally and be recorded on a regular camera? Don't get me started on how rubbish that is.

Actually, Swami Rama didn't slow his heart, he speeded it up. That is much easier to do.

It's probably just as i said before: exercise, relaxation, and fasting slows the resting pulse. The idea that people can make their resting pulse slow down or completely stop by meditating is false, and it panders to the "mystery" of eastern yogic masters who seem to have control over their bodies in miraculous ways. When these "masters" are actually tested in the laboratory they cannot deliver the goods. They either perform the valsalva maneouvre to temporarily stop the heart or they engage in magic tricks.
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  6:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi,

Just a sincere question for you: if you already know all the answers, why do you ask the question? You have people on this forum that are genuinely trying you help you with inquiries that you have; why do you feel the need to insult them (and others on this site) by labeling their ideas as "rubbish".

It is possible to disagree with someone without being "disagreeable"

Personally, I don't have a feeling one way or another about Swami Rama, but when we start labeling people's views and opinions as "rubbish" it starts to cross the line of proper forum decorum. And I'm not just saying this because it rhymes. This is a SUPPORT forum after all!!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  7:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Some people might say the breathless state happens by itself but i have seen no evidence of this.

I think it happens spontaneously and naturally, more and more, as a result of relaxing into your practice routine.

The heart rate definitely gets very low in the breathless state, but that doesn't necessarily mean the resting heart rate will be lowered as a result (resting meaning the normal heart rate when not doing anything including meditation). At least I haven't found a correlation between the two. But maybe if you're in deep samadhi a lot of the time, it trains your body to be closer to that state...so it's possible.

Otherwise, for whoever is interested: exercise is a great way to lower the resting heart rate. Remember that yoga asanas can be a form of exercise, and it doesn't need to be intense. I think the key is the duration of the workout. For intensity, enough to give you a light sweat would be good enough (no need to really push it). After an hour of exercise, the body adapts and the ability to absorb oxygen is increased. After two hours, the rate of absorption begins to go up almost exponentially. Three hours, you start to get (at least what I consider to be) super human training effects. That'd be a lot of yoga. Doing some form of exercise daily is essential...after 24 hours you begin to lose the training effect.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  08:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this an effort to conserve prana? I am curious ot know why you have a goal of reducing your heart rate. Is yours very high, say in the unhealthy range? Or is this more a spiritual pursuit? No judgment, just curious.

Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  11:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been trying to find evidence of the breathless state by looking extensively through the internet and i haven't found any evidence. What there IS is the idea that lowered metabolism accounts for short durations of non-breathing and there are various ways of lowering metabolism.

So the breathless state is said to be samadhi and i am looking for proof of this.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I have been trying to find evidence of the breathless state by looking extensively through the internet and i haven't found any evidence.

Wow....big surprise there! What kind of evidence for the breathless state do you think could be posted on the internet? Especially evidence that YOU would accept?
quote:

What there IS is the idea that lowered metabolism accounts for short durations of non-breathing and there are various ways of lowering metabolism.

And who is that idea attributed to? What is your reference for that? I've never heard that lowering the heart rate causes a "breathless state".
quote:

So the breathless state is said to be samadhi and i am looking for proof of this.

Again...who exactly said that samadhi and the breathless state were synonomous? I'd never heard that before. Please state your references.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Come on Carson,

You're not playing the game right. The way it works is this:

Step 1: You take all of your opinions and state them as irrefutable facts, without providing anything specific to back-up your statements of "fact".

Step 2: You take anyone who disagrees with you and label their input as "rubbish"

Step 3: You get extra points if you can be rude or dismissive to anyone trying to respond to your queries

Based on the above I've decided that this game isn't so much fun, so I'm not playing anymore

Peace & Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i scd that Parallax, sad but true it seems as a dead end never mention the sudden 360 turn arrounds.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys....I'm just not very into "games"

Love,
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
your time!
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ROTFL (Rolling on the floor laughing)...could not control myself

You guys are very funny !

Edited by - sushman on Mar 10 2009 2:39:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  2:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson,

You know I'm just goofing; I appreciate all of your posts (I look forward to them actually)...it wasn't directed at you, just reemphasizing your points in a different way

Ananda,

You are one of my favs on here as well; your light shines bright (that's why the smiley needs sunglasses)

Peace & Love
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sushman,

ROTFL...is that one of the "Automatic Kriyas" I keep hearing about?

"A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing."
-- Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867–1957), American author

I would put meditation right up there with it!!!

Love & Laughs!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000