Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Misc. Stuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  3:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I'm new to AYP (about a month). Came from an SRF (Yogananda) background. I think this website and the books are great. When I'm not working, meditating or running, I find myself on this site reading the lessons and Support Forums. I've been doing Spinal Bastrika (3min), Spinal Breathing (10min), Yoni Mudra (3 reps), and Deep Meditation (20min) twice a day. I just added the chin pump yesterday. I've got a few misc. questions.

Kechari: I've been stretching the tongue this past month and, with the aid of my index finger, can get it just under the uvula. Any idea how much further this has to go back? I haven't done any cutting - I'd rather not do that. Also, when I do spinal breathing, I put the tongue on the roof of the mouth as far as it will go. When I get done and release the tongue, there is a strange smell. The first time I did this, I thought that someone let the dog in the room. Is this smell normal. It's not offensive - just strange.

Running: Anyone have experience tracing the spinal thread while running. I guess this is kind of like Spinal Bastrika with slower breath while running. Would this be a bad thing to do? I did it during miles 11 and and part of 12 of a half marathon and that mile and a half flew by. Usually this is the hardest part of the race.

Inner Sounds: I'm hearing some sounds in the back of my head. I think it is the "metalic cricket" sound that I read in another post. It doesn't appear to be in one ear or the other, more like it's in the back or center of my head. I don't have to be meditating to hear this. I even heard it while running this morning. It almost sounds like high tension power lines on a rainy day, but the pitch is higher. Does this sound like the inner sounds that you guys are talking about or should I make an appointment with an ear doctor?

Two more things: While meditating the other day, I felt something in my forhead that felt like someone was lightly pressing their thumb on my forehead probably where the third eye would be. It felt good. Also, once in a while (every third or forth time I sit down and do Spinal Breathing) I feel at the top of my back or behind my neck either some warmth or strange energy thing going on. It last about a minute or two and goes away. I have not felt the currents going up or down in the spine yet. Any comments or advice on this would be appreciated.

Once again, I love this website and thank you Yogani for developing it and sharing you knowledge and experience with us. I don't feel "out there" alone anymore. I live in Florida and SRF is 3,000 miles away. Also, discussions with other members of SRF regarding practice and experiences are prohibited. But that is a whole other topic of discussion.

Thanks,
Bob

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bob,
Welcome to the AYP forums.

quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Kechari: I've been stretching the tongue this past month and, with the aid of my index finger, can get it just under the uvula. Any idea how much further this has to go back?

This post from Yogani may help http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=4#8056 (read a few posts after that one too.)
quote:
Yogani said "A hint that can be helpful: The journey from stage 1 to stage 2 kechari (going behind the soft palate) is actually a thrust forward with the tongue as soon as it clears the back edge. Not up, but forward. The easiest place to do that from (shortest distance to get behind) is on the left or right side of the edge of the soft palate. The tongue can roll right in from either side, while going up the middle takes more length.

Also, keep in mind that the soft palate is not a rigid boundary. As soon as we are behind it, it folds down and forward like a natural trap door. It returns to normal position just as naturally when the tongue is removed from the pharynx. So the idea of the entrance being an opening "way back there" is somewhat of an illusion. As soon as the pharynx is penetrated, the opening expands all the way forward to the edge of the hard palate. See cross-sectional images of kechari here: http://www.aypsite.org/kechari_image1.html

Another good hint was: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=5#8060
quote:
Just to clarify: The tongue doesn't actually "roll" into stage 2 from the side. It goes in on the side and slides to the center behind the soft palate. A push forward can help once the tip of the tongue has made it behind the edge of the soft palate -- that opens the soft palate trap door (it is usually automatic, but pushing forward with the tongue helps it along). No unusual contortions involved beyond just getting there, which you almost have!

Don't forget, finger help is perfectly legal, especially in the beginning.

quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Kechari: Also, when I do spinal breathing, I put the tongue on the roof of the mouth as far as it will go. When I get done and release the tongue, there is a strange smell. The first time I did this, I thought that someone let the dog in the room. Is this smell normal. It's not offensive - just strange.

This is purification. Yogani talks about it in this lesson (he talks about sweet smell, but any kind of odor that seems to be coming from within is purification.
quote:
Your experiences of inner light, weightlessness, sweet fragrances, inner sounds, etc., are all symptoms of some good purification in your nervous system.

quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Running: Anyone have experience tracing the spinal thread while running. I guess this is kind of like Spinal Bastrika with slower breath while running. Would this be a bad thing to do? I did it during miles 11 and and part of 12 of a half marathon and that mile and a half flew by. Usually this is the hardest part of the race.

Be careful, spinal bhastrika is very powerful, so doing it for a long time may result in more purification than you can handle. However, since you run so much, you may be doing a good job in grounding. If you ask me tho, I would not recommend doing spinal bhastrika for a 12 mile run.

quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Inner Sounds: I'm hearing some sounds in the back of my head. I think it is the "metalic cricket" sound that I read in another post. It doesn't appear to be in one ear or the other, more like it's in the back or center of my head. I don't have to be meditating to hear this. I even heard it while running this morning. It almost sounds like high tension power lines on a rainy day, but the pitch is higher. Does this sound like the inner sounds that you guys are talking about or should I make an appointment with an ear doctor?

It does sound like an inner sound, but again if you ask me, since you hear it all the time, it maybe a good idea to get it checked out by a doctor. When did you start hearing this BTW? How long has this been happening?

quote:
Originally posted by RSS

Two more things: While meditating the other day, I felt something in my forhead that felt like someone was lightly pressing their thumb on my forehead probably where the third eye would be. It felt good. Also, once in a while (every third or forth time I sit down and do Spinal Breathing) I feel at the top of my back or behind my neck either some warmth or strange energy thing going on. It last about a minute or two and goes away. I have not felt the currents going up or down in the spine yet. Any comments or advice on this would be appreciated.

Yep, sounds like the third eye and energy moving. These are good signs. You may have already read these lessons.. but if not, these may help:
Lesson 56 - Sambhavi – Opening the third eye
Lesson 63 - Q&A – Cool and warm currents in pranayama

Keep going, you are doing very well. Wish you all the best

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 09 2009 4:26:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
That was great advice and just what I needed. I tried it and got into stage 2. I had to use my index finger to push my tongue back and it didn't stay there for more than five seconds before it poped out. This really felt weird. I guess you get used to it after a while. Going forward with the tip of the tongue after it cleared the back did the trick. Now I have to work on staying in this position without it popping out, and continue to stretch the tongue so I can do it without the aid of my finger.

The sounds are fairly recent. I started meditating again about 4 months ago after a long lay-off. To jump start my program at the time, I started doing a lot of Kriya (more than I was given permission to do). About 2 months later the sounds started, but very faint and only during or right after meditation. Since switching over to the AYP techniques the sounds have gotten louder and all I have to do to hear them is to be quiet and listen for them. When I heard them during running, it was right after playing around tracing the spinal thread while running (mile 6 of a 10 mile fairly slow run). I was a very peaceful run, early Sunday morning, at sunrise along the river.

I'll reread lessons 56 and 63. Just wanted to let you know that I hit stage 2 right after I read your post.

Thanks,
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  1:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!!!!

That's great Bob. Yes, a bit more length will help the tongue stay there for longer periods. And yes, the weird feeling will go away once you get used to your tongue being there. Please self pace. Kechari is powerful, and I know it's tempting to stay in kechari once you get it. It wont help to overdo.. esp. since you already have the inner sound thing going... which, if you re-read your post above , you will know is because you are over doing spinal breathing. It's better to self pace on this before it gets worse Bob. It's no fun overloading.

Wish you the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 09 2009 4:26:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  09:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One more question about Kechari. Now that I'm able to hit stage 2, I was playing with this off and on yesterday (about 7 times). Each time I did it, I felt like I had a sore throat for the next 10 minutes afterward. Is this normal at the beginning.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  09:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yip.. It's the newness of an area that has never been touched now being touched.

This topic may help:
tender pharynx -- surprising cure

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 10 2009 09:24:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
Thanks for all your help.
I've got another question. I'm trying to figure out where I am with this thing. I looked at the images of stage 1 thru 4 on the website and I'm not sure if I've gone beyond stage 2. I go past the horizontal membrane that attaches to the uvula (forward and up) into what seems to be a large chamber. The tip of my tongue is not touching anything. When I breath, I can feel the air flowing around my tongue (it's pretty cool!). If I move the tip of my tongue back (maybe 3/4" to an 1") I can feel some kind of roof or side wall. The horizontal membrane and uvula are still touching somewhere on the bottom part of my tongue. Any idea where I'm at?
Again, Thanks,
Bob
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Bob,

Sounds like you are right inbetween stage 2 and stage 3 to me.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson's right.. between stage 2 and stage 3. So you are in stage 2

This piece from Yogani's lesson may give you a better idea. As your tongue stretches further you can explore this area.. it's fun. I remember being amazed at how much hidden space there is.

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/108.html
So, in stage 2 kechari, we are just letting our tongue rest easily on the edge of the nasal pharynx, and that sets spiritual processes in motion everywhere in our body.

In the beginning of stage 2 kechari we will be curious. We are in a new place and want to find out what is in the pharynx. There is the sensitive septum, the "altar of bliss." We have no problem finding that, and realizing that the best way to do pranayama and meditation is with our tongue resting on the septum. It is like having a powerful siddhasana working simultaneously on the other end of the spinal nerve, awakening our entire nervous system from the top end. When we are not enjoying bliss at the septum, we will no doubt explore, finding the prominent "trumpets" of the eustachian tubes on either side of the nasal passages. We also can't miss the entrances to the nasal passages on either side of the septum, and quickly find the extremely sensitive erectile tissues inside them. Too much. Better stay away from those for a while. So, we go up the septum on our journey to the top of the pharynx, to stage 3. For some this is a short journey. For others, it can take a long time. In going there we expose the full length of the edge of the septum to our tongue, and prepare ourselves to eventually enter the nasal passages and go higher.

This topic could help too Kechari - where should the tongue rest?
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys,
I guess I was thinking (hoping) that I was closer to 4. This means I've got a lot more stretching to do, because the tip of my tongue is very far away from anything solid.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000