Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is it possible obtain siddhis with autosuggestion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deicide

Belarus
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  01:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit deicide's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It could be possible?

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  04:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello deicide!

Yes, it is most likely possible, but if you feel drawn to that path, then take a great care of yourself.

I'm by no means an expert on this matter, but the consensus of spiritual teachers seems to be that siddhis are inferior to gaining an enlightened detachment: One should not crave for the fruits of labor because it encourages conceit and regress of development. On the other hand, Taoist texts warn against overloading oneself with autosuggestive practises.

All the best to you.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  07:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, and it is a dangerous path for other reasons also. When you start making your own belief systems different than what is considered "normal"; you will find that it effects many other areas of your life that you did not expect.
People around you will reject you and find you "unacceptable" in other ways that seem to have nothing to do with your autosuggestion practices, even if they are kept secret. People "feel" your departure from the norm and reject you.
I don't understand the mechanics of it, but I have seen it happen, and it can make your life quite miserable. There is something about belief systems that unites people in an invisible way. This problem doesn't occur if siddhis are a byproduct of purification by meditation etc. I don't know why.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  08:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by onomatopoios

Hello deicide!

Yes, it is most likely possible, but if you feel drawn to that path, then take a great care of yourself.

I'm by no means an expert on this matter, but the consensus of spiritual teachers seems to be that siddhis are inferior to gaining an enlightened detachment: One should not crave for the fruits of labor because it encourages conceit and regress of development. On the other hand, Taoist texts warn against overloading oneself with autosuggestive practises.

All the best to you.

I think perhaps some siddhis could come to my rescue. I'm totally at the mercy of something. I don't know how I came to be born, how the senses of hearing, sight etc work. I'm seized with fear when I think that once I die I will be blind, deaf, dumb, etc. No, there is no love "out there in the universe" like some people proudly proclaim. There is so much mystery and just being at the mercy of the unknown. It would be helpful to gain mastery over some of these mysteries. I don't care if it is called siddhi or what some spiritual teacher talks about it.
Go to Top of Page

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
I think perhaps some siddhis could come to my rescue. I'm totally at the mercy of something. I don't know how I came to be born, how the senses of hearing, sight etc work. I'm seized with fear when I think that once I die I will be blind, deaf, dumb, etc. No, there is no love "out there in the universe" like some people proudly proclaim. There is so much mystery and just being at the mercy of the unknown. It would be helpful to gain mastery over some of these mysteries. I don't care if it is called siddhi or what some spiritual teacher talks about it.

Mercy is such an interesting choice of words.

quote:
Dictionary definition
1. Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency.
2. A disposition to be kind and forgiving: a heart full of mercy.
3. Something for which to be thankful; a blessing: It was a mercy that no one was hurt.
4. Alleviation of distress; relief: Taking in the refugees was an act of mercy.

In the light of this, wouldn't it be correct to say that mercy is a property of love?

In my humble opinion, striving for mastery isn't a way to gain understanding. This path had failed me, but as a consequence I learned that all understanding simply proceeds from union.

When one is able to give mercy, then he has already got a power greater than any siddhi may ever grant: He understands!

Please, do not consider this as a discouragement for anything you are up to. Direct experience is the surest way to sagacity, which is something that every fool, apprentice, and master admits.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by onomatopoios
In the light of this, wouldn't it be correct to say that mercy is a property of love?

In my humble opinion, striving for mastery isn't a way to gain understanding. This path had failed me, but as a consequence I learned that all understanding simply proceeds from union.

It doesn't matter if you call it a property of love. The thing is, it is not an endless love that will nurture you no matter what path you go in. You are gifted eyes, ears etc and they are only for a limited time. Nobody guarantees you those gifts for a second time. Not even that whatever you consider as your soul will still be even together in one piece. Every single thing, including understanding comes from personal effort alone. There are just principles of operation in the universe, not love.
Go to Top of Page

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  2:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Maximus,

quote:
It doesn't matter if you call it a property of love. The thing is, it is not an endless love that will nurture you no matter what path you go in. You are gifted eyes, ears etc and they are only for a limited time. Nobody guarantees you those gifts for a second time. Not even that whatever you consider as your soul will still be even together in one piece. Every single thing, including understanding comes from personal effort alone. There are just principles of operation in the universe, not love.

Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer proved that thing-in-itself, the metaphysical being which is beyond reason and manifests all the phenomena we sense, is in fact will: inclination, urge, disposition, attraction, change, etc. You are not the temporary gifts that your will to live imparts you. You are your will, and as a thing-in-itself will is eternal and indestructible. Gifts and siddhis mean little to the will -- or Dao, Atman, or Brahman, if you prefer -- because the true nature of man is unlimited.

quote:
Tao Te Ching, chapter 1
The Tao that can be trodden is not the enduring and
unchanging Tao. The name that can be named is not the enduring and
unchanging name.

(Conceived of as) having no name, it is the Originator of heaven
and earth; (conceived of as) having a name, it is the Mother of all
things.

Always without desire we must be found,
If its deep mystery we would sound;
But if desire always within us be,
Its outer fringe is all that we shall see.

Under these two aspects, it is really the same; but as development
takes place, it receives the different names. Together we call them
the Mystery. Where the Mystery is the deepest is the gate of all that
is subtle and wonderful.

Remember: The way of Dao (will) is effortless action. It has nothing to do with "person" or "ego."

I have a little something in the making, highly related to Arthur Schopenhauer, which may provide more clarity to these words. Stay tuned, it should be ready soon enough.

Cheers!

Edited by - onomatopoios on Mar 10 2009 2:29:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  08:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was continuing my work with Schopenhauer and this particular passage stood up. Just compare it with the Tao Te Ching passage!

quote:
We, however, have now entered even deeper into the secret, since by what has already been said we have been led to the insight that when in any phenomenon a knowing consciousness is added to that inner being which lies at the foundation of all phenomena, a consciousness which when directed inwardly becomes self-consciousness, then that inner being presents itself to this self-consciousness as that which is so familiar and so mysterious, and is denoted by the word will. Accordingly we have called that universal fundamental nature of all phenomena the will, after that manifestation in which it unveils itself to us most fully; and by this word nothing is further from our intention than to denote an unknown x; but, on the contrary, we denote that which at least on one side is infinitely better known and more intimate than anything else.

Thus wrote Arthur Schopenhauer in his masterwork The World as Will and Representation, Chapter XXV. of the Supplement: Transcendent Considerations Concerning the Will as Thing in Itself.
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are those among us I believe that utilise these "siddhis", I am somewhat attracted to them as you could gift people with healing etc and also defend against those that use them for selfish reasons as oppossed to selfless reasons.

I want to achieve union and finally go back to where ever it is that I hail from, but and this is a big but I am fated not to knowing that the possiblity exists of these "dark" ones.

They are real.

Edited by - mahabaratara on Mar 12 2009 7:05:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  10:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The ironic thing is this: siddhis happen sometimes as scenery. But what I have found is we will be blessed with siddhis off and on, when we have proved that we can use them unselfishly, and when the time is right to use them for the universal good.
That's why pursuing siddhis is useless. Because your reasons for pursuing are selfish.
If you pursue unselfish service to mankind or god, siddhis may be provided as needed.
My experience is that powers are not bestowed like in the comics, where one man has the power to fly, for instance.
Rather any siddhi can be given to one person for the period of time it is needed. Then the next day it is gone.
Anybody else experience it like this?
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  03:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I think perhaps some siddhis could come to my rescue. I'm totally at the mercy of something. I don't know how I came to be born, how the senses of hearing, sight etc work. I'm seized with fear when I think that once I die I will be blind, deaf, dumb, etc.

Hi Maximus,

what makes you think that you will be blind, deaf, dumb etc. when you die ?
Let go of your fear and rest assured that consciousness does not cease to exist.
One great siddhi we all can have is, to know and to be aware that we are alive !

So, Love and Light to all of us

Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page

Serpent

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  03:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Serpent's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I would bump this thread since it is an interesting topic.

Regarding "autosuggestion", I do find that it is a similar practice to the method of "sutras" which Yogani outlines in his Samyama teachings. Although there is an interesting difference in methodology which is unique to AYP. That being what Yogani describes as "non relational" and "relational".

Most autosuggestion tools that I have come across are non relational. That is, constructing a phase such as, "I am this or I am that". Phrasing it in the present tense and visualizing that which you are attempting to attain. Then repeating it as a form of mantra / hypnotism.

One thing I have pondered deeply about this method is how one might be using a false sense of ego in trying to visualize the quality one is trying to achieve. I think this is what Yogani meant about "Neti Neti", (not this not this). Because one can get carried away trying to define what one is or is trying to become, when there is nothing consistent or foundational to "relate" it to.

Like autosuggestion techniques, AYP samyama repeats certain words, but "relates" them to silence. Or more accurately dissolves them into silence. I found this to be quite revealing when I first read about it. As he described, in essence letting silence direct the outcome of the quality one is trying to obtain, instead of the "false" ego.

It is something I am still trying to get a deeper understanding about. But it made me think, especially since working with methods in which one strictly tries to visualize, and in a sense, have a strong expectation of the outcome.

Dante.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000