New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  5:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
farook said:
>> Right now I'm giving time to both iam and allah. Since i also pray 5x a day i chant (ziker in Arabic) allah after prayer for a few minutes. iam is done in the morning and evening.

>> There is definately a different vibration that each has - allah is more 'heavier' and iam is 'lighter'

Farooq,

let me offer you some more perspective on choosing your mantra.

>> The iam mantra really resonates with me, but as a muslim, my heart is telling me to substitute it for.... al la (In Arabic, Allah means The One).

'Meditation' as meant in AYP is not at all the same thing as prayer. By all means, if you are a muslim, it makes sense that your heart is telling you to use the name Allah in prayer.

Mind you, there are many schools and traditions that blur the distinction between meditation and prayer. This means that they are using different language to what we are using when they say 'meditation'. It is a thing to be very aware of.

If you understand that our meditation is not prayer at all, will your heart still tell you to use the name Allah in it?

Let me make an analogy. If you heard of an activity called 'washing our clothes' in which we add washing powder to the washing machine, you would have no inclination to subsititue the name of Allah for the washing powder. However, if because of ambiguity, this was described as 'praying' rather than 'washing our clothes', there might be a feeling that the name of Allah should be involved somewhere..... It might sound absurd to call 'washing our clothes', 'praying' but not necessarily so --- what if there was an ancient ritual which involved washing the clothes and praying at the same time, and it was called 'prayer'. We alter this ritual, separating the prayer away, and doing it a different time, and just wash the clothes when they need to be washed... and suppose the 'washing the clothes' still has the association of 'prayer' for many people, because there are many traditions which still do the clothes-washing and the prayer at the same time...

I think if you understand the spirit and philosophy of this mantra yoga, according to AYP, and understand that it is not prayer, you may take a view that Allah no more 'wants' you to subsitute the name of Allah in your mantra yoga than wants you put the name of Allah into your washing machine, rather than the washing powder.

The mantras have a specific organic function, just as the washing powder does. The washing powder is not designed or chosen to be 'holy' or godly --- neither is the mantra. No more than washing powder, or a spring for your bed, or oil for your car -- the good mantras are works of good engineering, not works of piety.

And regarding Rajneesh's comments about 'Allah' as a mantra, I'd take Yogani's advice here before Rajneesh's. Ask yourself which of the two of them wrote the best, most-integrated and complete set of yoga practices?

Cheers,

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Nov 12 2005 11:35:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

farooq

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit farooq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

[red]
The mantras have a specific organic function, just as the washing powder does. The washing powder is not designed or chosen to be 'holy' or godly --- neither is the mantra. No more than washing powder, or a spring for your bed, or oil for your car -- the good mantras are works of good engineering, not works of piety.

And regarding Rajneesh's comments about 'Allah' as a mantra, I'd take Yogani's advice here before Rajneesh's. Ask yourself which of the two of them wrote the best, most-integrated and complete set of yoga practices?

Cheers,

-D

Hi David,

Thank you for your thoughtful advice.

I like your washing powder analogy very much

I agree with you that the AYP meditation is different from my prayer. So as i mentioned earlier, i am now not using allah in the ayp meditation.

What i realized from AYP is that chanting is very powerful, and since i pray anyways, i've started putting more emphasis in chanting at the end of my prayer. And by emphasis, i mean that i am being more 'mindful' (ie. not thinking about who won last nights hockey game)as i do it.

Ultimately, i think that both prayer and meditation( if done with a true heart) even though they are different techniques or paths; they lead to the same destination: the Source of all that is.

Your point on Rajneesh is well taken

He was quite the controversial figure wasnt he?

Well, thank you once again for your insight on what i am going through as i get more into AYP.

I must say i feel priviledged to be learning stuff that is so wonderful for my mind body and soul.

All the best David

peace and smiles
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  3:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Osho's Book of Secrets is an amazing work, and AYP references it, but it doesn't hold a candle to AYP itself. It's free online, and a fun read.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yoda

Osho's Book of Secrets is an amazing work, and AYP references it, but it doesn't hold a candle to AYP itself. It's free online, and a fun read.

Thanks guys.

Yes, Osho is one hell of a mix of Light and Shadow. He didn't do either in half-measures!

Yoda, is the full text of The Book of Secrets free online somewhere?

-D
Go to Top of Page

thomas

USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  3:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
quote:
I have some reservations about trying to peg the pronunciation of the mantra exactly. It is fine to offer some suggestions, written or oral, but you should keep in mind that the mantra is yours and best kept internal to your process of deep meditation. This is part of why traditional mantra initiations are often kept secret. The personal internal aspect of it is pretty important. Otherwise, we can be digging things up too much.

I hesitate to ask the question given your above response, but anyway I am seeking clarificatin on the correct pronunciation of OM in the second mantra enhancement ...

In the second mantra enhancement 'SHREE OM SHREE OM I AM I AM NAMAH' as a starting point when we first move from the first to the second enhancement in our practice how is OM pronounced.

1) Is the O in OM pronounced with a long 'o' like 'show' or
2) Is the O in OM pronounced like 'aw' in saw.
3) or neither, something else ?

Thanks,
Thomas
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thomas:

It can be either, according to your choice. Some go for the ooo..., and others go for the aaww...

It was discussed in some detail beginning here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#30249

Pronunciation is less important than the systematic refinement of the mantra to stillness in deep meditation. If pronunciation is focused on too much, the refinement can be disrupted as the mind keeps grasping for the object near the surface. Meditation is the dissolving of the mantra to stillness/samadhi over and over again. So pick your starting point and go. It will be faint and fuzzy soon enough, and that is good.

If I offer a particular starting pronunciation, someone is sure to get overly concerned about this, and no one should. So the advice is to make it your own ... it will be very good.

Enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

thomas

USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  4:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thanks ... that clears things up ... much appreciated.

Thomas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000