Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Changing my mantra from TM one to I Am
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UniversalMind

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  6:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit UniversalMind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! i would like to ask if it is alright to change my mantra? I currently use a TM mantra i received some years ago and the thing is i feel like i could do with a change, a boost if you like. Would it be alright for me to start the I am mantra an progress to the enhancements?
If so how long should i practice the I am mantra before progressing? I have been doing TM meditation pretty consistently for around 3yrs now.

Thanks all.

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  01:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear UniversalMind,

I, like you, started with TM and a different mantra, years ago. I wrote to Yogani about it and asked whether I should keep my TM mantra, which was so close to "I AM" or change over to the 'I AM' mantra.

He said that it would be preferable to switch over to the "I AM " mantra, which I did...and have since progressed into other practices.

I did try to move to the advanced AYP mantra too quickly and was rewarded with a migraine.....I dropped back to the basic mantra for a while after that. So take your time and when you feel it might be right for another progression, after some time with "I AM", try it...

in light, life and love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

UniversalMind

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  03:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit UniversalMind's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Kathy, i actually tried the I Am mantra for a little while but wasn't sure whether to keep it, but if Yogani recommends maybe changing over then that's good enough for me. I just felt as though i was missing out on enhancements etc and wanted a bit more from my mantra. I will continue slowly with I Am and see how it goes. Thanks again Kathy.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  08:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi UniversalMind and Kathy:

For going to AYP mantra enhancements, being well-established with the I AM mantra is obviously the logical place to be coming from for known results, since the enhancements are designed for that. So when people come asking about mantra enhancements, I point to that.

On the other hand, I would not recommend outright that anyone change their practice or mantra if following another teaching, since that would be interference with another path, which we avoid doing.

For those who are committed to another path and wanting to add something from AYP, it is possible to use a mantra like a TM one and build the AYP mantra enhancements around that. But the results will be unknown and it would be the practitioner's experiment. So there are several ways to approach it -- some that are straight up and known AYP, and many more that are hybrids with other systems and should be regarded as experimental.

While on the subject of TM and other forms of meditation, AYP spinal breathing pranayama before meditation is a much more clearly defined and easy add-on that can make a substantial difference in results. A lot of bang for the buck available there, with less chance for an unknown outcome. Spinal breathing makes most forms of meditation more powerful. Then self-pacing will likely become the next step on the learning curve.

In applying the AYP methods, it is always the practitioner's choice. What is known (straight up AYP), we can verify and support. What may not be known (innumerable hybrid approaches), we will learn about in time, and share. And the knowledge-base keeps growing. So it goes.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  2:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani for clarifying that.

I should have mentioned that when I switched to the "I AM" mantra, I left my TM practices behind and embraced the AYP practices....

blessings to you both,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000