AYPsite.org Forum
 Enlightenment Milestones
 Taste and attachment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  3:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
By taste I mean an acquired taste or preference.

I used to like music really much, and I had a startling collection of death metal, electronic, and classical music. Then, when the heart expansions began, it was soon all gone.

Today no matter what music I listen it sounds the same. I have lost my sense of taste in music, and if my observations stand correct, many other preferences are similarly fading away. Not that it bothers me anyway, but it's an exquisite phenomenon if any.

It runs connected with a larger process that the living becomes more detached to material possessions. I sold my CDs, but I only use the money for rent and food. Extra clothes, books, and electronics were also sold or given away. It felt perfectly natural to renounce them all, but for an ego which limits itself to possessions such would be a disaster.

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  3:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can report similar findings in another aspect.

I used to make music and songs would just pour out because I was suffering and I was not understanding my suffering. With meditation I feel calmer and more balanced and joyful but, regretfully, I no longer write the heartfelt music I did before. Where did it go, I don't know. Hopefully it will come back. Maybe music is prana, movement, energy and now I need inner silence, emptiness, silence. Maybe later, as silence becomes established, the flow can start again in a more grounded way and expression will flourish again from deep. One can always hope. I am not feeling as miserable as I used to feel though. But a part of me is sad that I seemed to lose that sensitivity to create from the core...strange...
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  7:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can relate to that YogaIsLife. I used to be a machine at cranking out poetry, music, and art when I was sad all the time. Now, I feel like I got nothin! I'm not saying I don't still get down and sad...but it just doesn't translate into music and art anymore. It is like I don't feel the need to express it outwardly anymore.
Go to Top of Page

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  01:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My music teacher once said that "Music is an empathic art." Melodies, motifs, and themes tickle our imagination and mood. Perhaps it is true that in a certain sense universe is vibrations: there is hardly any other way to explain the magical influence of music and shaktipat, for example.

Once detached enough, no matter how dramatic or subtle the expression becomes, it appears only to communicate the very basic emotions of fear and love. Musical progressions might be technically impressive and finger-breaking, but appreciating them requires the sense that interpersonal competition makes art more developed and valid. Thus everything sounds the same.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000