Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 20 and 2 mins or 10 and 10 mins?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have been faithfully doing 20 mins meditation in the morning with varying amounts at night. Initially I went very quickly and realized I had to scale way back, so I went down to 20 mins in the morning and 2 or more mins at night.

Then I increased again; I have been doing 20 mins/twice a day since at least the beginning of February. It was great at first, but I am finding this doesn't work at all for me right now, I'm way too sensitive. I have classic overdoing symptoms. Eating a lot/heavy food helps somewhat to ground myself, but it taxes my digestion and I don't want to gain weight just because I'm meditating too much

Anyway, I was going to go back to 20 and then just 2 mins at night as a placeholder, which is what I did before. But maybe I should do ten and ten? I feel reluctant to go down from 20 mins in the morning, but maybe I should split it evenly? I canNOT do 20 mins twice a day; my bhakti is strong but my mind/body can't take it right now.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  9:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lacinato,
I would go with 20 and 2. I did that for a while too, 20 min in the morning and 5 min in the evening. I think one full session and a second short session works well. Later as comfortable, you can increase the second session to 5 min, then 7 min and so on.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  11:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Shanti
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lacinto,

If you find that you are unable to increase your time in the evening session the way Shanti suggests without symptoms of over-doing persisting, then two 10 minute sessions might be the way to go for you. I haven't been able to do 20 minutes of meditation in one session for over 2 years now without going over so currently do two 12 minute sitting sessions ( a combination of practices) per day.

May Grace help you find your way!
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't that funny, that you've been doing it for so long and get such effects from a short practice? I keep trying to decide if the sensitivity is good or bad, but I think it just is. I never would have pegged myself as sensitive before starting this practice. Proof right there that the practice is very powerful.
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  7:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend doing short 5 minute sessions in as many sessions as you can with two minute breaks in between. Don't try to focus too much; just let your mind be open and awake. Let the transitory storm clouds in our life come and go...
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  7:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to qualify though TMS, that your suggestion isn't in keeping with the protocol of the AYP program just to avoid confusion for new practitioners.

Edited by - Anthem on Feb 23 2009 7:25:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  12:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Good to qualify though TMS, that your suggestion isn't in keeping with the protocol of the AYP program just to avoid confusion for new practitioners.

I will consider myself policed. Indeed, as you say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000