Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Resting with mettá, after dm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  09:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi fellow yogis & yoginis,

just one short question. Would it be considered an appropriate form of taking rest after deep meditation, to do a simple mettá meditation lightly for 5 - 10 minutes, instead of sitting and doing nothing?

Thanks,
Roman

Edited by - mimirom on Jan 20 2009 7:59:56 PM

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  8:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the recommendation in AYP is pretty straightforward :)

If it works for you with metta, then it's probably ok. The main thing is to relax and let the purification process settle down so that there's a smooth transition into activity.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tadeas,

thank you for your reply. I just had the idea, that triggering and cultivating loving kindness a little is certainly something very enjoyable and wholesome, and that it might serve well the transition into outer world too. It seems to be easier to trigger the tenderness and loving attitude right after deep meditation, so I've been thinking of taking advantage of that. It feels like resting well, so far.
I'm just interested in any possible pitfalls.

Roman

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  09:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I would ask you to just rest after your practice session.

I was not sure what is involved in mettá meditation. Looked it up:
quote:
http://info.med.yale.edu/psych/3s/metta.html
To begin, take a few moments to quiet your mind and focus your attention on the experience of loving kindness. You will begin by offering Metta to yourself. If distracting thoughts arise, acknowledge them, make a mental note to return to them after your Metta practice, but quickly move them aside to maintain concentration.

Recite the following phrases to yourself at a pace that keeps you focused and alert.

1. May I be safe and protected.
2. May I be peaceful and happy.
3. May I be healthy and strong.
4. May I have ease of well being (and accept all the conditions of the world)

Continue reciting the phrases in the first person.

This sounds like staying with meditation even after meditation. I am not sure I would consider this as resting. Resting is not doing anything.. just resting.

If mettá meditation feels good, you can do it as a part of your routine.. add it to the end of your routine for a few min... but then rest for a few min.. doing absolutely nothing... just rest in the silence. This will help you adjust back and take the silence into your everyday life... without the rest you may feel slight (or not so slight) irritation and/or feel groggy during the day.

But best is to try it for a bit and see. We are all different.. and maybe mettá meditation is what will work for you.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  10:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Roman....
As you may remember I recently started taking a course on Metta, and I have a decent base in AYPractices now so I feel comfortable answering this....
In my opinion if you want to do a metta meditation after AYPractices, I would say sure, do 10 minutes after DM, but THEN take 10 MORE minutes to rest. Metta meditations will not give the nervous system the proper "space" to transition from meditation to daily life smoothly. You may find after doing this (not resting and doing metta instead) for a month or so, that you are starting to be more irritable then you should be and it might start to seem as if metta meditation is doing the opposite of what it should. If you really want to do a metta meditation after DM, then make sure you rest after that. I don't think there will be any problems with combining metta and DM. There hasn't been for me yet. Best of luck my friend!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 21 2009 10:32:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that it can be frustrating to "just rest and do nothing" after meditation but I take it also as a practice. Honestly, how many times during the day do we have the opportunity to "just rest and do nothing" for 5 or 10min? For me sometimes is hard (I feel restless and want to get up) but I take it as a practice in itself - "just lay and rest 5 minutes" I say to myself :) I always get up before the 5min are over but I like to keep the discipline so I say "come on, lay for the remaining 2min more"...:)
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  6:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

thank you for your kind replies. The truth is, that already when I was posting this question, I thought of the importance of that moment. The moment of letting go of our spiritual efforts, ambitions, and wishes. The moment of accepting everything just as it is, letting the Cosmos give us it's gift. Only in that moment, I think, we are able to receive the Divine Grace.
There is a saying, that an Asana practice without Savasana, will eventually lead to illness...

Namasté,
Roman

Edited by - mimirom on Jan 23 2009 07:58:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mimirom,

If you feel comfortable with the Metta practice, you can always use it as an additional practice along with your AYP meditation. I have done this for about four years now. Just bear in mind that you can get a doubling-up effect from adding additional practices, so remember to self pace well.

Metta meditation is a powerful heart opening practice, but it is fairly gentle on the energy body as a whole. It slots in well between deep meditation and sivasana (savasana).

Christi
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  08:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

very complete and satisfying answer. Thanks.

Roman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000