Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How exactly meditation should be performed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

equinox

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  3:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit equinox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi to everyone,

I'm starting this topic provoked by seeing the following:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rSmxsVHPE

In short it is a DVD called Spiritual reality.
In this video the authors state that the correct way to do meditation is by sitting quietly (in the same postures as mentioned by yogani)and just observing our breath, WITH NO MANTRA CHANTING- I guess this includes the "I am" thinking. A person who is meditating should simply sit and observe its own breathing and any forthcoming toughs should be CUT as they appear- one should not leave any toughs active and try go beyond them- they should simply be cut as the are born. By doing so the mind becomes quiet and slowly the breath becomes thinner and shallower until it stops.
The reason for not thinking on chanting mantras is that, as the authors of the DVD claim, the mantras (and the I'm) are product of our conscious mind. Since the idea of the meditation is to go beyond the conscious then mantra chanting is not the way.

I address this to all the members of this forum-please feel free to take a part of this discussion.
I'd like also to know what yogani thinks of this.

Thank you!

Edited by - equinox on Jan 18 2009 3:52:31 PM

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi equinox, what you describe would be a different method from the AYP deep meditation we're doing here. There are many different meditation methods and they differ in instructions and in efficiency.

The deep meditation technique is very well desribed in the main lessons. We're thinking the mantra silently (so no chanting), we do not observe the breath. The breath may or may not be there in deep meditation and we don't pay any attention to that and simply let it do what it does naturally. We also do not concetrate or cut any individual thoughts, we just gently return to the mantra everytime we realise we're off it.

The mantra is started at the conscious level, but it naturally refines more and more, until nothing is left. That is where we hit the beggining of samadhi. This is very effective, because we pass by many obstructions in the nervous system and dissolve them from inside.
Go to Top of Page

equinox

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  7:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit equinox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tadeas,
thanx for your answer!
I still got something unclear though.
If as you say there are different techniques, then I guess they should serve different purposes. What exactly is the purpose of the AYP deep meditation- is it simply achieving a certain level of inner silence, which could be used for achieving goals that are otherwise unachievable?
I have tried both methods- the one described in the DVD and the one described on this web site. I'm a bit confused, because by using the meditation technique from the DVD I go in such a deep state I almost feel if I'm either asleep (although I'm sitting) or if I don't have a body- after doing so I have such a vivid dreams as if they are real- and always carry messages about events that will happen within the next few days. The AYP method, how to say, does not get me so much in the "deep" if I can say that- plus I have to watch for the time most of the time- it kinda feels artificial- I'm not saying that it doesn't work, no- it just different. What do think about that?
Thanx!

Edited by - equinox on Jan 18 2009 7:28:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  8:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of deep meditation is to effectively help with purification of the nervous system and the process of human spiritual transformation leading to enlightenment. One of the ever-deepening aspects of this purification is inner silence experienced both in and out of meditation in daily life. The effects of a practice, of a meditation technique are best judged not by the states it produces while one's doing it but by the effect it has on the quality of everyday life. Does it make us more open, relaxed, loving? That tells us more than whether or not it produces a particular state of consciousness. What we're interested in here is not any particular state, but a gradual change in our neurobiological functioning that enables us to see who we are at the deepest level of reality and to live from that place.

The main advantage of AYP is that it's not just about deep meditation, but a really good integrated system of practice. In other words it uses probably every possible way to help with stable purification over the long term. Mainly mental, physical and breathing techniques and more.

Whatever you decide to do in the long term is up to you, but you should consider if the system is effective, what benefits the people who're doing it gain from it and how far it can ultimately take you. It's also good to remember that always switching systems might not be a good idea and that we find water by digging deeply enough in one place with a good set of tools :)

There's one human nervous system and many methods for developing it's potential to the fullest. Here's an integration of methods for your consideration, just check the main lessons :)

Take care.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  8:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Different effects will be observed by different people depending on how their nervous system is purifying itself. It is not a validation of a system to observe effects. Enlightenment is a long process that will include many effects along the way. The reason it is not defined exactly what will happen is because it is different for each person.
So if you feel you are making good progress with the system you are using, then continue with it.
The mantra is usually better for most people because it is the mind you use to "cut" your thoughts and it is better to not use the mind while meditating. The "goal" is to bring up inner silence and create ecstatic conductivity. This is a natural process built into our system, but can be greatly accelerated by various methods. they are all described in the free lessons here. Click "main lessons" at the top of the page.
Or just continue the method you are using until you feel you want more help.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  8:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oops we posted at the same time Tadeas!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  11:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The CUTTING of thoughts is interesting. In my experience that can lead to a real headache! Also, I think you miss the chance to observe the thought and learn a bit about yourself.

Is that a common practice in other methods? I have always heard of observing and letting go, never "cutting"?
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  06:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding of meditation is to "concentrate" on one thing, whether it is the breath or a mantra. Actually, the purpose of meditation, I think, is to try and reach a thoughtless, or near-thoughtless state. In fact, this process is really "Dharana" and not meditation or dhyana.Dharana will happen after reaching Dhyana, and then Samadhi happens. My understanding, therefore, is that what one needs to do is, first to achieve a near thought-less, or one-thought state, and the rest is then supposed to follow automatically over time. The breath awareness kind of concentration is the buddhist way of meditation, called 'ana' (out-breath), 'apana' ( in-breath ) 'sati'(to be with ),or ANAPANA SATI, for short. Since Buddhists did not dwell on the notion of God, but only on what they called "the void", they strictly forbade use of anything connoting "God", like a mantra, or Japa. The Buddhist method recommends "meditation" for many hours everyday, for effectiveness, whereas Yogani says all 8 limbs of "Ashtanga Yoga" must be practiced, for effectiveness in reaching our goal of self-realisation, and this method does not require you to spend many hours everyday on the practices. As per the DVD, the main source of energy for our daily activities is "cosmic energy", which is supposed to come in to us during deep, or thought-less sleep, or during meditation.
Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Jan 19 2009 07:08:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  08:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Dharana will happen after reaching Dhyana, and then Samadhi happens.

Actually there is first concentration on an object (dharana), then as we let go off the object, we are transcending it and that is meditation (dhyana).

The purpose of at least the AYP dep meditation is not any particular (e.g. thoughtless) state, but continual purification. Just doing the procedure and that is all.
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many approaches to meditation. None of them are the be-all-and-end-all methods. Any approach much be experienced by you, and you decide how to proceed. As has been said here, the methods must provide an opportunity for you to experience mind in its natural state aside from discursive and imaginal thinking . Enlightenment is waking up from these modes of thinking where natural innate wisdom flows freely from you. The natural state is an empty awareness (aka stillness) with unfolding phenomena emanating therefrom (aka motion).

IMHO, any approach must be started with a sense of deep compassion to help all living beings overcome the suffering of ignorance. This motivation focuses the mind on what really works rather than on cute theories.

In my experience, any method that forces a transformation of the mind by cutting thoughts or blocking senses is incorrect. Peace and happiness ensues from feeling at ease and natural. Cutting and blocking causes a surge in energy which leads to frustration, anxiety and difficulty.

Meditation is not a sleep-like or dream-like state. It is more awake than you are now. The senses are opened, because the discussions and past-present-future imaginings cease having relevance in the moment of perfect stillness and seeing all. Your daily life is already dream-like; don't make matters worse!

In the moment of stillness and seeing all, you imagination stops talking, and your ego dissolves. At that moment, with no ego, you experience your body-mind as a movement of nature, as an aspect of the environment. At the same time, great joy arises from the loss of ego, because you realize that the ego takes a lot of energy and mental work to support. Letting it go is a big relief. You also experience an observer that is not "you." It, you, is, are, a cosmic supermind. IMO, you would make a mistake to say "this is God, I am God." That's not it; that's ego supercharged. We are not all one God; we are individuals, we are all gods as enlightened superminds.

It is also not to think, "I don't exist, nothing matters." That is nihilism and is just a mental theory; it's not true. The truth is experienced, felt, as something real, a mysterious awareness at the center of it all, and as such, aware of it all. But as awareness itself, it is still, a potential power, not at work, not thinking, and certainly not say "I am." The Great Bliss has no concerns; there are those who have been born who are concerned primarily with your awakening. You apparently are listening.

On the road to this experience, you may encounter visions, OBE and other phenomena. These are all just a product of your mind and your karma. Don't be attached to them, experience them as scenery. The purpose of meditation is not to go to sleep or leave your body. Quite the opposite, it is to be more present and aware of your body as the cosmos this very moment. Such is the experience of great bliss, stress relief, where great compassion arises for others who continue to experience life in darkness.

So mantra helps, deity yoga helps, DM helps, kundalini yoga helps, Zen helps, tantra helps. All help, only if they allow you to experience your mind in its awakened state as an empty awareness. Then all phenomena take on a new quality; they become like an illusion; one does not become attached and they can be enjoyed freely without ego. To the extent that the methods create experiences, and these experiences create attachments, the methods should be dropped in favor of something involving insight and examination; all experiences are illusory, unreal.

Because ultimately, the goal of all of this practice is to integrate the new view into your daily life; so that you can be of some benefit to others and your self, by becoming a source of harmony and relief. You have to stabilize the "new you." You have to be happy. That takes time and experience engaging life without attachments of "old you."

Instead of trying to cut thoughts, instead try to experience them directly. Observe the thoughts, not what they are about. Don't get into the thoughts and the story. Experience their emergence in the mind for what they are, images, appearances. Where are they coming from? From what stuff? When they appear, what do they appear in? When they disappear where do they go? Look directly at them without trying to modify them or investigate what they are about.

Love,

TMS

Edited by - themysticseeker on Jan 19 2009 09:58:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  11:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am aware somewhat that Yogani's approach is that when the mantra is lost inside that is dhyana but in every other book i have read about Patanjali, dhyana is interpreted to mean "meditation" which comes after concentration. Or rather, dhyana is sustained concentration on one thing to the exclusion of everything else, whereas dharana is simply attempting to keep the mind still.

It is not like relaxation and concentration go hand in hand together with each other. It is that relaxation is achieved first and then you concentrate because the mind is then calmly able to focus.

Another thing about watching the breath as opposed to using a mantra is that in my experience anyway, the metabolism slows much more considerably. For some people this is a goal because it is like pranayama which leads to pratyahara and you need the senses to switch off completely in order to concentrate, which means the heart and breath action are considerably slowed. So some people use this method and it is not for everyone.

AYP is structured around Deep Meditation and everything else is about purification and helping purification. But i don't believe that you can have sense withdrawal completely from deep meditation because the sensory nerves are still operating. The motor nerves are completely still and switched off but the senses of smell, touch, and hearing are still operating, and the mind has the tendency to get into sleep states, which may give people the impression that they are in a state of meditation. Pranayama, on the other hand, is all about completely switching off the senses so that the mind automatically goes within to concentrate and becomes free from thoughts in the process.

I want to suggest that people's experiences of spinal breathing probably do not include sense withdrawal who come to this website. I don't believe this is because spinal breathing is not correct but i believe there are other important factors not taken into consideration. Probably the most important one of these is diet. Hypometabolism is when metabolism is very slow and can be seen in hibernation. When people fast, the cells stop decaying after 3 days and the metabolism goes down a lot. If this is combined with eating only fruits and vegetables and nuts and liquids at other times, or even just one meal a day, and pranayama meditation, it should be possible to put the body in a comparative state of suspended animation or hibernation, which is the equivalent of Kevala Khumbaka, or suspension of the breathing for long periods of time.

The rational behind all this is that when we go to sleep the heart's action slows which helps the senses to switch off. So if you can switch off the senses consciously by the above methods you can enter turiya, or the fourth state of consciousness while remaining very lucidly aware.

This is the approach of Kriya yoga.

AYP seems to be about enjoying your senses and being limited in the sense of self in relation to sensory experiences, because it teaches that pratyahara is not really a realistic teaching and that it is ok to enjoy pleasures, which seems to me to be completely wrong with regard to the original teachings of yoga. The whole purpose of Yoga originally is to exhaust material desires and escape reincarnation. It includes happiness but not sensory pleasure. It is a transcendental kind of pleasure, it is samadhi. Even Patanjali says that the goal of Yoga is samadhi. And you don't bypass pranayama with meditations like Transcendental Meditation to get to samadhi, that is not possible. You have to start with pranayama and that automatically leads to samadhi eventually.

One last point. Khumbaka is not a goal of AYP. But a distinction needs to be made between forced holding of the breath and the natural breathless state. The ONLY way of getting proper samadhi is to enter the light at the third eye and this cannot be done unless you are able to achieve the breathless state. So by all means enjoy the scenery outside of practices, and ignore the scenery focus on practice while practising, but if you think this will do much for you i believe you are mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

equinox

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit equinox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that I'm a complete novice in meditation. I don't really know what's wright or wrong.
So, if I got this wright, basically you would advice me to stick to AYP deep meditation (this includes thinking the "I'm" mantra and just to allow my thoughts and observe how they appear, without getting into their meaning-simply look at them as entities. In any case complete state of meditation is not a good idea. SOunds interesting and complicated in the same time.

Thank you for your time people!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by equinox

The problem is that I'm a complete novice in meditation. I don't really know what's wright or wrong.

Oh yes you do The Guru is inside you......you are your own teacher, whatever feels right for you will be your path.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mantra is not "I'M", but "I AM" or "IYAM" and is a sound that is thought during meditation, not a meaning. That's why the contraction "I'm" is not correct.

Sense withdrawal in pranayama is not a prerequisite here because it causes the focus of the senses to move inward rather than try to shut them off on the outside. When the senses move inward, the outside is automatically shut off. The senses are still active, but not outside the body.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi equinox, if you're just starting out it's best to start reading the main lessons: http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html and not worry excessively about the details. It's really not necessary, especially in the beginning. If you want to follow AYP then the main lessons are the primary source of information about practices and then the forums are here for questions and discussion.
Enjoy :)
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  11:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,
I deleted those posts of mine on Buddhism above to conform to your suggestions. Sorry again. Apologies.
N

Edited by - Neptune on Jan 21 2009 03:02:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No apologies needed. You don't need to delete posts; some of us just try to balance things out so as not to confuse newbies. You could post the exact same thing if you want, maybe start a new thread.
I didn't mean to make you feel like you had done something wrong; your posts are fine.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  6:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There may be some confusion here as to the way this website is categorized.
If you click on "All Forums" above, you will see all the Forums in the AYP website.

This forum is under the heading:
"AYP deep meditation and samyama"

You will see another forum that is still part of AYP, called
"Other Systems of Spiritual Practice"

In that section Buddhist, and many other meditations are discussed.
So there are many forums within the AYP website.

This thread (this page titled "how meditation should be performed")is in a forum about AYP style meditation. There are many types of meditation, and none of them would be "the best".
The reason Yogani teaches one particular style is because it has proven to work the easiest for most people. It takes less time, is more powerful, and runs into less obstacles than other types.
Some people like other types of meditation, and many people here only follow some of Yogani's recommendations, and also follow other systems, which are discussed under the "Other Systems" section. Sometimes subjects about AYP will branch off into other systems, like here. But most of the forums are to support the AYP system, most of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  9:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As many times postet above, according to Patanjali, Meditation happens after concentration. But itself cannot be done directly.(It comes out of itelf too). For convenience reasons meditation as a word is used widely for any technique that leads to meditation.

In my experience, meditation is staying the witness. Being aware of what is happening moment for moment including the movement of attention. DM with the mantra develops this witness more and more as it "indirectly forces" the "witness to come out" of the thought stream to be aware of the chanting of the mantra. If the mantra goes on without witnessing it, this has not a big effect for me. But if I consiously say the mantra mentally, no matter how strong the thought-stream is, in that very moment the witness grows as it comes out of the stram(if lost) or stays aware of the stream while spelling the mantra. There is a huge difference if one stays as the witness the whole session repeating the mentra vs. unconsiously repeating it over and over again.

Besides the purification effect of the mentra itself which most of the people doing DM can't verify directly on a level of cause and effect on all levels within themselves, the rising witness within the depths of their thought/dream-streams takes over to the daily life and they remain the witness more and more throughout everyday action too. This is what causes the bliss within daily activity, while the bliss within DM is of a much more refined level in between any thoughts, when the witness is in most intimacy with itself, silently.

There are other approaches which work well too, like just watching the thoughts. It's the very same technique of concentration again, only the witness itself being the object. Thoughts come and go, you stay aware of the thouhts. When you loose yourself and notice it (the witness shines), you again stay aware of the thoughts, more and more. More and more staying the witnes leads to deepening into what you are, the witness. With time, thoughts get less and less, and more of the silence is witnessed that lies in between thoughts. And within these moments of silence, a fragrance of peace spreads within and with longer periods it turns into absorbing bliss. The thoughts come again, you stay the witness(peace and bliss decreases), they get quiet again and peace and bliss deepens. This pure bliss consioussness one experiences more and more speaks or itself.

Once you have reached this depth, you can do any method, like watching your breath and you will land in the very same again. The confusion is just in the beginning, where the results are more on a gross basis of feelings and thoughts. Within time, the more you stay aware and the more you are consiously present in silence, witnesing this silence, the more the "fragrance" of silence is experienced by you. Ultimately you becoming this (which needs to be proven individually). For me I can't say, that I am this, as so far, it comes and goes like everything else. There is diving into pure bliss consiousness and coming out of it. While there is no duality apparent within no thinking, the moment my daily life begins, even if I stay as the witness for longer periods, there is still an apparent "I am the witnes" and "what's happening is witnessed by me". As Yogani says, this distinction dissolves too over the time.

Sticking to one technique and doing it until the results come, then you know by your own experience. The system provided here is Yogani's self experimentation and a crystalization of what worked best. Surely, for most people it's trusting him, but with time and self experience, you become really thankful for all he is sharing.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  06:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, this is a very interesting discussion and it comes at an important crux for me as well as I seem to have been having excessive purification or so it seems) from the I AM mantra and it is the first time this happens to me. It is like if recently a subtle but important shift in cnsciousness happened to me and the I AM mantra seems too strong, too much purification and some irritability in daily life. So I decided to back off a bit.

And now I am trying the breath awareness meditation. And I found what some of you talk about. I feel I seem to go deeper and am more in a kind of sleep state, definitely feeling the metabolism going down, as if I was emptying myself. With the mantra there is energy rushing in from the inside. There are more jerks and jolts. I guess this must be purification...it is like the activity of fixating on the mantra in the mind draws energy from the inside. The simple awareness of the breath has the opposite effect, sort to say, that of withdrawing activity inside, slow down of metablism and less energy. In DM with the I AM mantra there is also a slowing down of the bretah but there noticeably more energy present in the body. What should I do?

It is a pity that we have to deal with all these technicalities...the end state (the awakening) interests me very much but why so many techniques and so many ways? Why not an universal way? It is a pity...

Thank you all for the enlightening discussions.

P.S.: With the breath as well I feel more "on my own", more like an explorer of my insides, on a journey, with risks, etc. MAybe my mind is more active in that situation. I guess I feel more secure when I do AYP as I know a lot of people here do it and I can find support but at the same time the method itself seems to be more "automatic", I feel supported by the mantra itself and the energy that it stimulates...it is interesting. Maybe less mind involved in it.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  09:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The problem is that I'm a complete novice in meditation. I don't really know what's wright or wrong. So, if I got this wright, basically you would advice me to stick to AYP deep meditation (this includes thinking the "I'm" mantra and just to allow my thoughts and observe how they appear, without getting into their meaning-simply look at them as entities. In any case complete state of meditation is not a good idea. SOunds interesting and complicated in the same time.

Hi equinox,

Welcome to the forum.

Just to give you an idea, this is how I approach it.

I stick with deep meditation for 10-20 minutes twice per day, before breakfast and evening meal. If I miss a meditation, which is not often, I don't make a big deal about it. I treat it like I missed taking a prescription medication; I just meditate again at the next prescribed time and continue on from there. But I do try to honor that particular miss with a minute or two of mantra repetition and leave it at that. I repeat the mantra as 'I 'Am, not 'I'm'. I return to the mantra every time I noticed that I wander off from it. I keep in mind that no thought or feeling or experience is more important than any other thought or feeling or experience. I study the AYP lessons and books as needed, post to the forum as desired, add AYP refinements when it feels right, and live and enjoy life the best I know how. I keep it simple because it is. It is just part of my daily routine, like eating and sleeping. Each has its own pleasure.

Here is a lesson on enlightenment: http://www.aypsite.org/35.html

Best wishes for you and your meditation practice, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  12:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@YogaIsLife

It's frustating cause you seek the one best, fast and safest path, isn't it? I felt the same many times too and what happened to me, I tried everything out for some months and see what's going on, never having finihed one to the end. You get more silent and aware over time, even if you jump from one practice to another, but as funny as it is, this too is just a mind game, tricking you to stay low. Don't worry, choose one and go with it patiently. Over time, from the inside, you will get to know your methods. In the end, the formula is the same and worked for many. It's not THE formula for everyone, but it works for most people. Getting some energy more and more moved while becoming more silent, more and more until you can dive into nomind for longer periods of time. There the magic happens, it really doesn't matter how you get there. Yogani's approach is sytematic and timetested through many people around here. Other methods are time tested too and will bring you to this moment more and more with growing awareness.

Perhaps some have heard of him, Maitreya Ishwara, having brought out a book with the name: Unity. His method is very direct, become more and more aware of what is happening now. This boring moment transforms into unimaginable beauty, love an bliss, just by becoming more aware. It's nothing the mind can understand, you can't imagine this. It sounds crazy, but this is what happens. Everything that moves, and that is everything that has form, is perceived as bliss and love, just by becoming more aware. It's not easy to become aware and stay aware by intention and there comes the practice, to start being more aware in a quiet room, in silence. Practicing when it is easy to become and stay aware makes it more and more easier to be more aware during daily action. Becoming more aware and waking up is the same, the word waking up is not chosen by fun, it exactly means that, becoming more aware, more awake. The nervous system and the brain are directly connected to this, and that's the reason you hear many times the word, clean up the channels, make your nerves more durable and elastic to be able to stay more awake. It's hard to stay wide awake and aware, the ystem resists instantly, giving you the feeling of "this is too much, it feels too tense". You relax to your normal lowlevel-awareness again. Through constant stimulization and silence, this resistne dissolves, staying fully aware, being alive becomes natural, easy. That's the reason for all the stress in the beginning, cleaning and heightening the capability of the system.

When people tell, all this is not needed, even this can be witnessed, that is true. It's not absolute what happens through practice, it is relative evolutionary human development. The strange thing is, it is easier to jump into the absolute from a cleaned and stable nervous system than from one that can't hold the high voltage of love and bliss that comes from full awareness.

Take one approach, give it a try for several months and you get to know what suits you and your life circumstances. And yeah, taking it too seriously won't make you happy either ;).
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  1:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Holy,

Great many thanks for your post. It was very helpful to me. I enjoyed very much the paragraph about becoming more aware/awake to life. Yes, that is the goal, isn't it? I think I can safely say that pretty much sums for me the goal and path of Yoga, clearly and without any esoteric/abstract undertones. That helped me a lot at this moment.

I went back to the mantra, just maybe less time and try not to think about it too much, more like listening than voluntariraly reciting it. Can be tricky. I want to stick to that one, but if I get annoyed with it for any reason I know I can always cut back or do breath awareness for a while.

And I don't really want just the best, safest and fastest path , I also want the most confortable one , the one that feels more natural. Yes, too much demands from a simple yet complicated procedure...I'll stick with AYP for the moment, it seems to have the most of all these qualities from my current knowledge. It is also fun for most of the time

Thanks again Holy.

Edited by - YogaIsLife on Feb 05 2009 5:57:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Holy,

Thank you for sharing about Maitreya Ishwara and the book Unity. Much appreciated.

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000