Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Too much coughing during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeekingShiva

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  11:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit SeekingShiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have been very stable in meditation but lately after doing good round of spinal breathing when I am doing meditation and the moment I start diving deep, I get urge to cough and this continues for a while.

What should I do? All day long I would not cough but just during meditation.

I miss my sessions or deep dives...

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  1:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
that might be due to respitory problems, it might be happening when the breath slows down a lot.

take it easy on your spinal breathing you might be pushing it a little.

plus better being safe than sorry it would be good to ask for a doctor's advise on the matter wether you should or you shouldn't do breathing exercises.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see two possiblities:
1. The cough could be due to medical causes. Do you smoke? Do you have allergies?
2. A cough can be due to Vishuddhi chakra. In which case it will clear eventually. Do you have conflicts in your life?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  1:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeekingShiva

Hi,

I have been very stable in meditation but lately after doing good round of spinal breathing when I am doing meditation and the moment I start diving deep, I get urge to cough and this continues for a while.

What should I do? All day long I would not cough but just during meditation.

I miss my sessions or deep dives...

I will agree with Ananda. Get it checked out by a doctor if it concerns you or if it persists for long.

I personally think, this is a purification phase and will pass. So just remember, what is happening is for the better.. something is trying to release, so don't label your meditations as "not deep".. then the mind will try to create what it thinks is "deep" states. Just go with whatever happens.. the less you resist it and try to control it and try to change it, the sooner the phase will pass.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  2:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SeekingShiva,

I have had a couple different phases in my AYP "career" where near the end of SBP I will get a "tickle" in my throat and I won't be able to stop coughing. It is not a "chest" cough though, but merely a throat cough...Is this similar to what you are experiencing?? In my experience this was caused by having a dry throat and then doing spinal breathing pranayama. I also found this was exasperated by smoking as was suggested above. I suggest maybe having a glass of water close by so that if this starts happening you can take a sip and hopefully moisten up your dry throat. (if that is indeed the cause). Hope this helps even just a little.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

SeekingShiva

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  2:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeekingShiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the reply.

I do not smoke and yes I do feel a tickle in the throat.

But today I am actually coughing outside the meditation like right now so looks like it is due to actual cough but based on your answers I also think it is due to the chakra purifications where when I am deep zone my throat is just dry and then the whole thing kicks in.

Once again thanks for your answers.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shiva,
- what's the January weather like, where you live? Jan. 09 might bring cold/dry air outdoors which turns extremely dry as you heat it indoors. This (and perhaps dust) might be a part of it. Many people drink less water in the winter, but in dry air you might even need more than in the fall.

Also, as you develop a straight sitting posture, elongating the spine upward, your heart area tends to move a bit forward, making a slight backward bend (compared to a classical white-collar-desktop-hunchback pose :-) - which sometimes tickles the throat a little. So, if you tend to sit facing slightly up, try to bring the chin to horizontal, giving it almost a nice double-chinned "fat authoritarian Mayor":-) look-and-feel; that will relax the front of your throat more (rather than extending it) while still keeping the spine straight.

I often let potential coughs out during my physical sadhana (ahead of meditation) ; often, by pressing onto the small "pit" in front of the Vishudhi chakra while leaning my head backwards. Sometimes it even happens automatically in a low cobra (when you move the bend to that area) or in a fish pose; fish extends the chest and the front of the throat a lot - which makes it a good prevention of asthma and also a good Anahata-opener.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  12:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am coughing the very same moments you do. When you dive deep inbetween mind ativity, the whole body coughes with full force and it hurts afterwards . Normally I only have this after being in smoke-box locations for 1-2 days afterwards and then the lungs are fine again. But these days, it seems to be because of something else. It comes also during the day, especially in moments of mental calmness. It will surely pass, I wouldn't mind too much.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  11:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@SeekingShiva

wht about your coughing? Still there? Mine is gone.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lately, I have had a mild throat problem. No coughing or soreness...just a persistent tickle that I've never really had. I can't say anymore whether I think physiological things are due to chakras or visa versa...but it's so odd because all day I never really notice it. When I sit for sadhana I don't notice it much during SB but right when I get into DM it because REALLY annoying. In fact, I notice that the deeper I get with the mantra the more it acts up. I theorized that maybe it is a throat chakra thing so I resisted the urge to swallow or cough (which only leads to more and more of each) and I would find that I would start to tear up and it would feel like a rope is tightening around my neck. Then, because it was SO obvious I couldnt ignore it I decided to focus the mantra on the throat and I started pouring tears (non emotional) and it felt like my neck was going to explode...or implode, I don't know. It was reallly wierd. Mainly, how it got worse when I got deeper with the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Srinivas_Mallya

Singapore
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  11:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Srinivas_Mallya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I find more Throat Irritation during Deep Meditation and Feeling of Lump or Congestion in the Throat throughout the day. I notice this many months after Second Enhancement of Mantra.
As per AYP instructions, it is not necessary to focus Mantra on any area.
This might be eventually Cleared with our Practice.
I have found from other source that Karmic Obstructions are mostly accumulated around this Vishudhi Chakra.
This is a good sign of our Practice which helps to remove the Blockages in the system.

Srinivas
Go to Top of Page

SeekingShiva

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  4:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeekingShiva's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Holy

@SeekingShiva

wht about your coughing? Still there? Mine is gone.

Sorry I could not respond earlier, Yes my cough is gone.

It was something to do with meditation and purification.

Nowadays I am going through a session where I will just go in zone where I do not remember anything :)
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  5:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm coming in late here, but I had something similar for a while, and it passed too.
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  6:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too. I think it is just an adjustment. However, if you have any mucus that needs to come up I highly recommend eucalyptus oil as an expectorant. I love the way it clears out my lungs. Nauli pot too for getting the post nasal drip cleared out.

Love,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

rajdxb

United Arab Emirates
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  08:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
if you are not infected due to throat infections and still u got throat irritation then it is due to cleasing process inciated by throat chakra...
to normalized it before medidation in lukewarm water add honey and drink it will help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000