Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Identification with Pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pranavhs30

India
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  08:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was going through some articles which said that we feel pain because we "identify with it". The article says that the minute we stop identifying ourselves with pain, we can no longer feel it. Can the same process be applied to other external factors such as heat and cold? Can we stop ourselves from identifying external factors such as cold weather and not feel cold again at all? If so, please elaborate on it.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  10:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranavhs30,

I've tried to disidentify with pain, heat and cold but what I have found is that the sensations still arise. When we disidentify with the *suffering* around the sensations however we seem to be able to withstand things that would normally be too much to tolerate. Just my experience though, your mileage may vary.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranavhs30:

The experience Carson describes is yogic -- decreasing identification with perceptions of all kinds -- pain, pleasure, heat, cold, and the body/mind in general, which brings freedom while still experiencing them, and continuing fully engaged in the world.

A misunderstanding about yoga, and enlightenment in general, is that we no longer will experience the ups and downs of life. It is quite the opposite, actually. We become more perceptive in many ways, particularly as our sense of self expands in stillness, bringing us to regard the experiences of others as our own, even as we are beyond them in abiding inner silence/witness.

So there we are, free in stillness, experiencing as our own the ups and downs of everyone around us, and the world. This situation is what gives rise to "compassion," moving us to do what we can to help others find the freedom that is inherent within all of us.

As far as our local body aches, pains and travails are concerned, yoga will move us beyond them, but it will not block them without the application of other means. Modern medicine is quite expert at blocking symptoms of discomfort (with side effects), and there are also natural techniques for dealing with pain by systematically redirecting attention away from it (Lamaze childbirth method comes to mind). But none of these have much to do with the core means and aims of yoga, which are looking far beyond.

To block pain, take a pain pill. To steadily move beyond identification with pain, meditate. One is a short term solution for excessive discomfort. Nothing wrong with that if used in moderation. The other is for cultivating permanent freedom, a greater appreciation of the human condition (as our own), and an ability to do more to help.

It should also be mentioned that because yoga involves the purification, opening and balancing of the nervous system, it can also have a positive effect on our physical health and resilience in any environment. If we are doing daily yoga practices, we may find we are less prone to disease and discomfort.

Yoga is often sold on this basis, even in some ancient scriptures -- "Do yoga for health, beauty and longevity!" The popular and formerly serious spiritual publication, "Yoga Journal," has climbed on that band wagon in a big way. Good physicality sells. But, in fact, it is an incidental part of the real aim of yoga, which is eternal freedom in this life, and beyond. If a painless beautiful life is what people want, yoga can often deliver it. Oh, and by the way, it can deliver enlightenment too. Sooner or later, everyone gets around to it.

The guru is in you.

PS: There are also techniques for withstanding extreme heat and cold (tummo yogis come to mind). These methods may have some practical benefit for coping with a harsh physical environment, but ultimately it is dissolving the bondage of identification with sensations that is the far greater achievement.

Go to Top of Page

arti

Christmas Island
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  07:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Person puts jacket on and feel warmer. Human who is able to, changes his body and surrounding air temperature even. Attention is attractive in nature, when you want to drive to town b or be in town b it helps to focus on town b.

If some one told you that been yogi requires you to eat alot of salt ocasionally would you believe it?

From infinite variety of possible experiences do you think some are forced upon humans to be experienced or rather is a matter of focus, choise, habits?

Imo yes yoga is more than been super eternal physical human yet when person due to whatever reason starts to sneeze etc who is to say that sneeze to be left alone or cured in instant. To each its own as per choice and awarness:D
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  08:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that fine clarification, Yogani. What I have found is an increasing "detached sensitivity" in which I'm more keenly aware of my own emotional flow (including pain), and therefore, I see reflective emotions and desires in other people. No one seems "alien" to me anymore. Even people who are on a different end of the spectrum in terms of likes and dislikes still feel deeply connected to me through naked, unshakable awareness. In this nakedness, there is no more room for hard-lined segregation. There is only room for reconciliation, harmony, acceptance, and continued opening.

Even my enemies have become my greatest teachers.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2013 :  09:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Thank you for that fine clarification, Yogani. What I have found is an increasing "detached sensitivity" in which I'm more keenly aware of my own emotional flow (including pain), and therefore, I see reflective emotions and desires in other people. No one seems "alien" to me anymore. Even people who are on a different end of the spectrum in terms of likes and dislikes still feel deeply connected to me through naked, unshakable awareness. In this nakedness, there is no more room for hard-lined segregation. There is only room for reconciliation, harmony, acceptance, and continued opening.

Even my enemies have become my greatest teachers.

Experiencing the same thing here
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000