New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Folks, I just thought I'd toss up this thread for my on-going new experiences with the Drikung Kagyu meditation system of Mahamudra and the Six Yogas of Naropa. There's a Tibetan Rinpoche who's just arrived in San Francisco where I'm going to learn.

So far, I've studied most of the background.

Two profound things have happened. Twice after returning home from my visit with the lama, my abdominal chakra felt zapped, and took my breath away. These were brief experiences, but very intense and sharp.

Then, in meditation I've experienced a sense of falling fast. In AYP terms, the observer just observes everything, thoughts, feelings, all without attachment, thinking, "I am not this thought; I am not that pain in my ankle."

(I'm also doing Tai Chi with a Taiwanese Buddhist nun in Golden Gate Park; she's corrects my sitting posture and helps me understand the role of physical balance in all of this).

In the meantime, I study the important treatises in the Kagyu lineage. Cool stuff.

Love,

TMS

P.S. Oh yeah, every single night for the past several weeks, I've had some dream about a boat, the ocean and waves, in many different variations. Sometimes, I'm in the boat, sometimes I'm in the water. I'm aware of the boat as metaphor for the middle way, and the ocean as metaphor for samsara. I've had like twenty or more boat/ocean dreams now. Trippy.

Edited by - themysticseeker on Jan 07 2009 6:47:11 PM

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, developments. So I've sat through about 10 hrs of questioning by the lama and another monk. They asked many questions about dharma, emptiness and the buddhist history. It was like, "do you have time, we have a few questions?" Apparently, they've got it through their head that my knowledge is really high level, and that I'm some kind of rare dharma savant. I've been recruited into the Saturday 9:30am class on Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation as sort of a Teacher's Assistant. The students are coming up to me and saying, "we heard you are so knowledgeable..." I was like, "not really."

After class, the lama kept me for a "private session," where he showed me something that I'm not even sure I can mention. He didn't specifically tell me to keep it a secret. He just showed me something which he described as "secret." Something he said the Dalai Lama doesn't know about. He said what he showed me was "very serious" because it could be exploited. I was just blown away. Apparently, this lama is entrusted with the preservation of secrets.

He said he's going to teach these things to me if I can make time to do one week retreats with him from time to time.

Love,

TMS
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  11:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lucky you TMS! Just remember that attachment to praise or attachment to thinking you are special is just as much of an attachment as anything else. I'm sure you are readily aware of this, just thought I'd mention it.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 12 2009 11:22:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  8:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Lucky you TMS! Just remember that attachment to praise or attachment to thinking you are special is just as much of an attachment as anything else. I'm sure you are readily aware of this, just thought I'd mention it.

Love,
Carson

You are right. This is on my mind a lot. I'll take a middle way approach; I have to think I'm special enough to teach, otherwise I would be so humble that I wouldn't speak up and no one would benefit. But I can't be so special that I lead myself and others astray.

Somehow I think I'm in the right frame of mind, because I have a strong sense of being humbled, and the ease with which the universe can slap a fool. I even got slapped today and put in my place. I'm still learning.

Love,

TMS
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  9:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's all about grace my friend. At least that is what I am learning. Even though I never feel adequate, I always end up being shown grace by being able to help others from my spot of inadequacy. This is grace and it helps keep ME humble anyways. Not that my ego is on overdrive or anything, but when people tell you you are "special" sometimes humility can be hard.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jan 12 2009 9:25:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  11:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by themysticseeker

Wow, developments. So I've sat through about 10 hrs of questioning by the lama and another monk. They asked many questions about dharma, emptiness and the buddhist history. It was like, "do you have time, we have a few questions?" Apparently, they've got it through their head that my knowledge is really high level, and that I'm some kind of rare dharma savant. I've been recruited into the Saturday 9:30am class on Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation as sort of a Teacher's Assistant. The students are coming up to me and saying, "we heard you are so knowledgeable..." I was like, "not really."

After class, the lama kept me for a "private session," where he showed me something that I'm not even sure I can mention. He didn't specifically tell me to keep it a secret. He just showed me something which he described as "secret." Something he said the Dalai Lama doesn't know about. He said what he showed me was "very serious" because it could be exploited. I was just blown away. Apparently, this lama is entrusted with the preservation of secrets.

He said he's going to teach these things to me if I can make time to do one week retreats with him from time to time.

Love,

TMS

Something the Dalai Lama does not know about? If you feel comfortable, could you email me about it? If its a secret, I understand. Did you take samaya vows? I don't understand...is it an object such as a book? Or was it knowledge?

Anyway, if I were you, I would really try to obtain full Perfect Buddhahood in this lifetime (how old are you by the way?), and would tell your Lama that you are interested in that. I would get as much kundalini type teachings as possible.

Although your school is famous for Mahamudra, your lama may also be knowledgeable about thogal. Dzogchen is part of all 4 schools of Tibetan Buddism. You could use him for authorization to buy this book here:

http://www.snowlionpub.com/search_p...ama&submit=1

Edited by - alwayson on Jan 13 2009 12:48:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  09:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson

quote:

Love,

TMS

Something the Dalai Lama does not know about? If you feel comfortable, could you email me about it? If its a secret, I understand. Did you take samaya vows? I don't understand...is it an object such as a book? Or was it knowledge?

Anyway, if I were you, I would really try to obtain full Perfect Buddhahood in this lifetime (how old are you by the way?), and would tell your Lama that you are interested in that. I would get as much kundalini type teachings as possible.

Although your school is famous for Mahamudra, your lama may also be knowledgeable about thogal. Dzogchen is part of all 4 schools of Tibetan Buddism. You could use him for authorization to buy this book here:

It was just one page of a book, written in Tibetan, on black paper, with 24-karat gold writing. He's supposed to preserve the secrets of his lineage. It's about siddhis. I haven't taken refuge yet. He's wants me to take another 14-days. I'd be a lay-person disciple. But I will take the Bodhisattva vow. I'm 34. He said he's going to give me the "high-high-methods." He thinks really highly of me, which is a surprise. All-ego BS aside, I generally feel pretty small, and my study of dharma is like six-months old. I guess my meditation practices from my hindu roots took me pretty far. I think I've mentioned this before, but I have been meditating and doing pranayam since I was five years old. My grandfather was a yogi from Benares who studied the Gita, the Upanishads, Vedanta, the Yoga Sutras, etc., etc.

Love,

TMS

Edited by - themysticseeker on Jan 13 2009 09:49:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  12:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
34 is not that old, I am sure you have enough time to obtain rainbow body

Make sure you understand your vows, and keep them.

Edited by - alwayson on Jan 13 2009 12:13:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad I'm not that old. I will ardently strive to end my karma and return to the natural state. Yes, sir. I will attend to my vows. Gracias.

TMS
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alwayson, A book I'm reading "Moonlight of Mahamudra" describes Dzogchen as the Tibetan word for "Mahasandhi" or "Atiyoga." Which is the highest yoga, and of Indian origin. So I think you are right. Dzogchen is Indian.
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Love,

TMS

You don't have an email on your profile.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  4:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you want to email me?
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by themysticseeker

I clicked that link and that book cannot be purchased unless you have some special clearance. In other words this is some secret information.

This is just the sort of thing that is despicable and antiquated. Nothing should be secret. This website stands for free access to all people to obtain any spiritual teachings whatsoever. That's our birthright as human beings. The Buddha himself was pretty clear about this. So what is so mysterious and deserving of secrecy regarding this book pray tell?
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  5:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The practice of thogal

That is why I told TMS, he could get authorization, because he has a lama.
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  5:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The practice of thogal

I don't think you're getting my point. The point is that we should all have free access to any information of a spiritual nature. We all have our inner lama at Advanced Yoga Practices website, right?
Besides the historical Buddha himself was strongly opposed to secret practices. The whole premise of this website is also for freedom to know these things.

Edited by - Neptune on Jan 13 2009 9:09:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  6:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
but what can you do?
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From the little information I have about dzogchen and from what I've read about the practices of thogal and trekchod, they seem to be instructions for further development in the more advanced stages of the witness (discrimination and later).
So they are specific instructions for more advanced self-inquiry.
Is that right?

It seems to me, though, that practitioners on this level can quite easily navigate the territory by themselves. In other words, the self-inquiry process unfolds by itself and no specific instructions are really needed.
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

quote:

The practice of thogal

I don't think you're getting my point. The point is that we should all have free access to any information of a spiritual nature. We all have our inner lama at Advanced Yoga Practices website, right?
Besides the historical Buddha himself was strongly opposed to secret practices. The whole premise of this website is also for freedom to know these things. Secrets be damned.

It's not a secret. They merely want you to go to a lama and take refuge in the dharma, the sangha and the buddha. You just have to join the buddhist community. Don't get upset by it. Some practices are serious and can give you abilities that would make you the subject of public eye. Look at what the "Buddha Boy" has done with going without food for 7 days. There are many practices more amazing than that. Care must be taken. One can only share with the sincere. Even Jesus said, "Don't throw you pearls before swine."

TMS
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Do you want to email me?

I didn't ask for your phone number.
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by themysticseeker

I clicked that link and that book cannot be purchased unless you have some special clearance. In other words this is some secret information.

This is just the sort of thing that is despicable and antiquated. Nothing should be secret. This website stands for free access to all people to obtain any spiritual teachings whatsoever. That's our birthright as human beings. The Buddha himself was pretty clear about this. So what is so mysterious and deserving of secrecy regarding this book pray tell?

If I get the book, I'll share. How's that?

In defense of gurus, there is a liveliness and an energetic dynamism one FEELS in the presence of a master that is not transmitted in writing. I also study Bagua with a Taiwanese nun; she has a very Zen/Taoist "no thinking" approach to mind. Agree or disagree, when she corrects my posture, or slightly tilts me this way or that, I feel the flow improve. When I'm in her presence, my movements flow much better than when I practice at home. The Tao sparkles all around my fingers and toes.

Same with the lama, when I'm in his presence, my mind settles; my gaze deepens. I absorb energy. My dreams are symbolic and profound. It's called blessings.

Just studying words doesn't give you the full flavor. You couldn't buy Yeshe Lama, read it and put it into practice. Without a tutor the meaning of the words decays. The pages become rotten with scrutinizing critics. It's not good.

These books are meant to supplement an already developed practice. If you are interested in Dzogchen, trust me, you will not learn it from books. There are many Dzogchen books, but it's clear to me from reading them that without a teacher, you will get stuck. You have to find a Dzogchen teacher. You have to do the retreats. Books and writing is just not good enough. You can't learn Kung Fu by reading a book can you? Why should meditation be any different?

Love,

TMS

Edited by - themysticseeker on Jan 13 2009 7:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Neptune

99 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  8:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neptune's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem. Don't need to read secret and technical manual. Will just follow historical Buddha's instructions... And my own intuition. That should suffice. It has served well so far. Rainbow already here.

Edited by - Neptune on Jan 13 2009 9:13:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  9:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

No problem. Don't need to read secret and technical manual. Will just follow historical Buddha's instructions... And my own intuition. That should suffice. It has served well so far. Rainbow already here.

From your perspective, why is bodhi important?
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TMS

email me at powerover9000@aim.com
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

From the little information I have about dzogchen and from what I've read about the practices of thogal and trekchod, they seem to be instructions for further development in the more advanced stages of the witness (discrimination and later).
So they are specific instructions for more advanced self-inquiry.
Is that right?

Thogal is a like a yoga process which uses certain channels in the body.

Edited by - alwayson on Jan 14 2009 01:09:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So the lama is consulting with a Tibetan astrologer to pick an auspicious day when I will "take refuge" in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. Then, he will give me the "passwords" as he calls them. These are not secret mantra, rather they are, as he describes them, the "pith instructions."

The other night I had another "4:20" dream. From time to time I will wake up at exactly 4:20 a.m. (Pacific) at the very end of a lucid dream which becomes prophetic. In the past, I've drempt of the market crash in Oct. '07, and other things related to my life.

The night before last, I drempt I was meditating at the vajra yoga center; I was deep in samadhi, and as I was coming out of samadhi; my eyes opened and the lama came up, pointed at my head and said, "that's it." I looked at the clock and it was 4:20 a.m.

I expressed this dream to the lama who had told me about one month ago to see what happens in my dreams while decided whether he should be my lama. So he was very happy about this auspicious dream.

I asked him more questions about my meditation practice. I explained things I had experienced recently. He told me just to relax now. He said I should meditate any longer until I receive the "pith instructions." He said all the things I experienced and learned till now are from my own karma and my own wisdom. But that's as far as I can go by myself. Now I have to rely on the blessings of the sangha, the Drikung Kagyu lineage, to remove the obstacles remaining in my karma. From the blessings and the pith instructions, he said, my remaining meditations will be much easier. He said, I don't have much farther on this journey to go. So I don't need any more study or work. Just relax, and the blessing are on their way.

So I've been reading the book "Astral Dynamics" and Saraha's "Dohas." These are light reading, I guess, no more serious inquiry into esoterics.

To address something Alwayson and I have been discussing. The lama said that Dzogchen's "Thogal" practice is analogous to Mahamudra's "Magical Body" practice, which in most of the texts I read is translated as "Illusory Body," the final Yoga in the Six Yogas of Naropa.

Last night I had a recurrent dream. I've been having ocean dreams a lot. Either floating on a boat, or (recently flying over) in the water up to my neck. Previously, I had a dream where huge whales were jumping out of the water. One hit my boat and sent it flying to the beach. Last night, I drempt I was in the water up to my neck and the huge whales were jumping up all around me like dolphins. This time I wasn't afraid. It was very pleasant. I read somewhere that giant sea creatures represent desire.

The cosmos is the guru and we are the cosmos.

Love,

TMS
Go to Top of Page

alwayson

Canada
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  12:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Astral Dynamics is light reading?

Edited by - alwayson on Jan 18 2009 4:30:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000