Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 more questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I meditate for twice a day now. 10mins SB followed by 20 mins Deep meditation with the 'I am' mantra. I treat it as a pure exercise, letting go of thoughts and just drifting while keeping with the Mantra.

I expect nothing and simply give the hour, because I know I would only be doing something else less important anyway.

Sometimes I think I am doing the mantra all wrong, concentrating too hard at staying with it, listening to the words too intently and asking it like a question, or trying to force myself into stillness. I let those thoughts go too and keep right on.

Is this the right direction?

Also recently I have noticed a kind of ringing in my ears. It's something I have experienced form time to time anyway, even before meditation, but now it seems I can switch it on or off at will. Does not matter if I am meditating or not. I have read something about sounds of silence in some posts, but nothing specific. What actually is this ? It's certainly not uncomfortable or annoying, but I wondered if this is part of anything, or do I just notice, then ignore it, as I would any other scenery ?

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ringing is a common thing that lots of us have experienced, and can come from both non-spiritual things and spiritual things. So you are correct to just ignore it and continue practicing. Of course if it gets to the point of annoying you, ask your doctor about it just to be safe.
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Yes you are correct in letting all the thoughts go about not doing the mantra right, especially the listening too intently or asking a question feeling. After a while you will find it more valuable than just regular exercise because of the deep peace it gives you for the rest of the day.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi karl

quote:
I expect nothing and simply give the hour, because I know I would only be doing something else less important anyway.

This is a profound insight, karl. Great

quote:
Sometimes I think I am doing the mantra all wrong, concentrating too hard at staying with it, listening to the words too intently and asking it like a question, or trying to force myself into stillness. I let those thoughts go too and keep right on.

Is this the right direction?

Absolutely.

The first and primal attitude is to let all thoughts both come and go. If you feel you are making effort, then simply notice this too - do not speak about it - and easily/gently come back to the mantra. If you find yourself speaking about it - same procedure: Easily come back to the mantra. Neither is the mantra a question nor is it an answer.

quote:
Also recently I have noticed a kind of ringing in my ears. It's something I have experienced form time to time anyway, even before meditation, but now it seems I can switch it on or off at will. Does not matter if I am meditating or not. I have read something about sounds of silence in some posts, but nothing specific. What actually is this ? It's certainly not uncomfortable or annoying, but I wondered if this is part of anything, or do I just notice, then ignore it, as I would any other scenery ?

It is not uncommon to both hear sounds and see lights/colours both during and outside meditation times. The vibrating subtle nerves - nadis - can be heard, or the full sound of Om (Aum). Or ringing/chimes etc. All of these are accepted as natural along the way. On one hand they confirm the reality of our inner space and we can enjoy this proof of it outside meditation time, but while meditating follow your own suggestion:

quote:
or do I just notice, then ignore it, as I would any other scenery

Exactly like that No rejection of it, but neither do we go shopping with it. Just easily come back to the mantra.

Also - you might find it helpful to read Yoganis lessons here:

http://www.aypsite.org/53.html
http://www.aypsite.org/222.html

It sounds like you are doing great, karl!

Keep enjoying

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether

We cross posted
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000