Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 resistence?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  10:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
since there is not a space for the witness, I guess I post it here. Sometimes I find myself resisting things, many things. For example if I am resisting some kind of work it may seem obvious that I am resisting putting forth effort. I dont feel that is the case, I feel there is a deeper resistance. If I say I don't know what the resistance is, I don't believe that is beneficial. I believe I do know, at some level of my being. So how do I let this go into stillness as the witness? How does one ask the question, without letting the words, "I dont know" get into the situation.

also, feelings have faded, some people feel alive and this is something I feel it time to return to. For much of the last 15 years of my life I tried to find God, Myself, tried to be perfect, etc..... I now realize that trying to be perfect is a waste of time, it will never happen, so I have cut myself some slack and accept my imperfections. Now it is time to get back into the feel of life. I had criticized and ridiculed people for the ordinary lives they have lived and now find myself appreciating their "normalcy" It is one of those things that come full circle if you know what I mean.

I do believe that my journey has a lot of value to it, by trying to be perfect, I now can appreciate more how it is impossible and the way I look at people now is "if it makes them happy, good for them" my advice to anyone trying to be perfect, is that if you feel you must try then go ahead, but you will fall short.
Jesus once said, "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and loose his own soul" The opposite, but similar to that, is what does it profit a man to deny the whole world, and still loose his own soul"
buddha said, it is better to travel well then to arrive. I can appreciate that now more then ever.

thanks my friends
with love
Brother Neil

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  06:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brother Neil

I may be wrong but it seems you may be experiencing the dilemma of letting go of perfection and then experiencing the aftermath of not having anything to replace the disipline that this drive for perfection can give.
In not having this drive any longer it can sometimes be difficult to get motivated, we can be left with a motivation vacuum.

Is this what you are talking about?
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  9:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes sparkle that seems as if it is a good term for it. There are some things I am doing for this, like spending more time with family, and some other stuff. any thoughts on to how to get out of this motivation vacum. I honestly believe I have a lot to offer people and the world. Now when I see people who drink, instead of thinking they are bad, my wish is that they enjoy the beer without guilt. A year ago I did not feel this way :)
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  05:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neil

This kind of thing has been a struggle for me for many years
I have varied success and sometimes it appears like nothing is happening but then when I look back over say the past 6 months or a year I wonder at the amount that has occured.

One thing to watch for is a subtle form of overloading;
A typical example of this is if one does samyama on "love" only and nothing else. Both myself and many others have found that this can put you into a sort of reverie of lovely peace, which is very nice, but unfortunately it also seems to de-motivate and when things need to get done it is an uphill battle.
How to counter this, is to complete the nine sutras of samyama, or at least a good balance of them. This generally solves this particular problem.

So if we recognise this feeling we get when we experience this de-motivating love feeling, and look at how it can be experienced in other parts of the meditation process we can get a clue about whether we are being subtly overloaded or not.

One of the ways I have found where this can happen is if I get caught in the nice feelings of meditation and dwell on them even for a short time. It is important to recognise that when we go off the mantra and experience nice feelings of love or whatever, to NOT dwell on these, but to return gently to the mantra as usual. This is a trap I have fallen into many times

If this is happening it may be a good idea to also cut back on practices, just to get a handle on what is going on. In other words try the aspect that this de-motivation is overloading and self pace accordingly.

There are other things I could recommend too, but would be interested in hearing some feedback on the above.

Cheers
Louis
Go to Top of Page

joacub

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  03:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit joacub's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Having read this, i think i may be a classic case of........... yeah, Ja Ja Bigs! (star wars 1, new moveis!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000