Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The number 108
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enlightenmealready

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  10:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I believe I remember someone asking about the number 108 in a previous thread. Unfortunately I can no longer find that thread but I wanted to post what a local Yoga Studio published about it.

"The108 salutation practice is called a Mala, representing the108 mala beads (prayer beads). In a yoga mala, your body forms the prayer, the 108 sun salutations represent the108 beads and your breath represents the string holding the mala together. It is traditional to set a particular sankalpa (intention) for your mala, the tapas (heat and austerity) of your practice represents the fire that devours impurities and obstacles."

The studios site is at http://www.yogahouse.net/

EMA

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  11:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello EMA!

I have posted previously with some synchronicities I have experienced with the number 108 and was trying to understand the implications so I really appreciate your input.

My hatha teacher is having a charity event this Friday (~winter solstice~) where 108 sun salutations will be done (4 sets of 27).

I'm interpreting your post as a sign I should do this.

I'm coming to believe more and more that for me to progress on the spiritual path there must be more tapas.

~Thanks again for y0ur timely contribution ~~~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  11:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the winter solstice on Sunday December 21rst??
Go to Top of Page

enlightenmealready

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that is the date. The Ashtanga school who's link I posted is also doing 4 sets of 27.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2008 :  9:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the NBA, National basketball assosciation, Chris paul of the new orleans hornets set a record for stealing the ball from an opponent in 108 consecutive games. today, on christmas, he did not extend that streak, so on a holy day a holy number was preserved. Just a thought
with love
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  01:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is an old thread, but I see 108 all the time now. I've been seeing it daily for the last 2 weeks or so, sometimes 3+ times per day.

Dunno what it means that I see it, but I know it's a holy number. I point it out to people so they know I'm not crazy

AUM [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I remember the first Allentown retreat when we were picking up supplies for the retreat and you made Kami and me pick up a box of plastic spoons becasue there were 108 spoons in the box.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  12:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha! I remember that

Dunno if Kirtanman told you this, but the night before that retreat, he stayed in room 108. And the night after the retreat, he stayed in room 216 (108 x 2). I can attest to it

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  12:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...at the motel in Allentown, that is.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  11:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
4+8+15 +16+23+42
"The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts"

Edited by - machart on Apr 01 2012 11:39:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

mukundaspupil

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2012 :  7:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does 333 mean anything?
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  5:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who love synchronicities....

My daughter who is a Hatha yoga instructer is attending Floyd Yoga Jam in Virginia this weekend.

She texted me this morning that when she arrived at her campsite the mileage on her car was exactly 108000 mi...she was thoughtful enough to take a pic for me cause she knew it would blow my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000