Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Head lights up in meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  3:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

What to do to keep the pineal/pitituary glands sober when in meditation ? My experience with meditation is both rewarding and frustrating because anytime I start entering a subtle state of semi consciousness (awareness flirting with sleep), then suddenly my head lights up massively ! I am extra sensitive since this is the place (center brain) where I had my first energy awakening experience a few years ago. And it was quite a bumpy ride back then.
So...instinctively I pull out of the depths of meditation as soon as I feel the same overwelming sensation in the head. I do it or else I'd seriously fear that my head would blow up, its that strong a current.

Does this sound familiar to you fellow practitioners ? And is there a balanced approach to overcome this energy surge ?

My current routine is 5 min nadi shodana/15 min DM/4 min Samyama

Thanks !

Edited by - thibaud05 on Dec 13 2008 3:46:19 PM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  5:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  5:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool ! how do you manage it ? You dive in the fire or you run for your life ?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  6:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yep it is, and it has to do with premature chakra opening something i had in the past due to nadi shodana.

i think it's best and safer for you now if you would practice spinal breathing pranayama instead of nadi shodana.

and check the main lessons on the topic of premature crown chakra opening.

kindest regards,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  6:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
DM only, dont mess around with the nadis. i also had an awakening in the center of the head, and i got this surge of energy shooting up to the head as well. i have had some energy pooling in the head if u mess around with the nadis, still do have sum around the left eye/temple actually. DM helps blossom the silence, and the silence will awake the kundalini energy when it is vibrant enough. i have learned my lesson about working with the nadis and kundalini the hard way. dont ever try to stir up anything, and remember energy follows thought, so i really recommend doing DM since the goal of that is thoughtless awareness/samadhi. samadhi is beyond all concepts, it is limitless. in the beginning i wanted energy and powerful experiences, but now i realized i dont. silence only grows when the mind is silent. the most important thing i have learned is that DM is the core and u cant go for the nadis/energy unless the silence is vibrating thru your whole body, it acts as a coating so when the energy does awaken (on its own) it will not tear everything apart, it should be smooth. i wish i would have realized this in the beginning, now i am stuck with energy pool on my left temple/and eye. i wish it would go away

Edited by - michaelangelo7 on Dec 13 2008 6:47:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  6:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michaelangelo7,

quote:
now i am stuck with energy pool on my left temple/and eye. i wish it would go away

So if you think about this area around your left temple/ eye as you have noticed, you can add to the energy sensations there, or alternatively, you can breathe the energy from there down the spinal nerve and continue past the root down both legs to the feet.

If you repeat the above every time you notice the tendency to “check” on the area of discomfort (checking pulls the energy back to the area in question) if there is still energy stuck in the eye, temple area, it will eventually move out. You can visualize white light draining out from that area down the body to the feet for more effect. You can also move the energy down the front to the feet as well. I typically do both when I want to move uncomfortable or pooled energy in a particular part of the body. I have noticed that the excess can also be stored in the stomach as described by some of the Taoists.

Overall, as I think you have noticed, moving energy around can be a recipe for disaster, so do so with caution. The more silence, the more easily energy will move.

A safer and often just as effective way is to think of your feet every time you notice yourself "checking" or thinking about the area in question where the energy is stuck. This and a lot of walking, even both simultaneously can do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  8:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks a lot i knew there was a way
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  8:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I dive in...keep meditating in the same fashion. Gradually the shock gets less and less.

If you have energy getting stuck in areas then it's a good idea to try things like cutting down on practice time, grounding techniques, balancing with acupuncture and herbs...massage.
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  11:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
anthemn
i was focusing downward the pingala energy towards the stomach. both of my hands became very cool, clamy and sweaty and eventually ice cold. i think some energy already moved as well lol. can the nadis carry both cooling and hot/intense energy? or am i just tapping into ida? i tried breathing but i noticed some pressure increase in my head but it went away when i cooled down.

edit
actually i found the answer to my question:
Reversing Prana and Apana Vayu: Most significant about the five Vayus are Prana vayu and Apana Vayu. As mentioned above, Prana Vayu is an upward flowing energy and Apana Vayu is a downward flowing energy. One of the ways of describing the process of intentional Kundalini Awakening is that these two energies are intentionally reversed through a variety of practices. Reversing the energy causes the Kundalini at the base of the subtle spine to awaken, and to begin to arise. Although this is not necessarily an easy thing to do, it is very useful to know that there is a basic simplicity to this process, that of reversing these two energy flows. (See also Yoga Sutras, particularly sutras 2.49-2.53 on pranayama.)

cool site:
http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awakening-1.htm

so i guess i have been prana only, and anyone who has pressure in the head this is probably why

Edited by - michaelangelo7 on Dec 14 2008 12:18:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  08:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MichaelA,

What I should have mentioned in my above post first was the number one way to smooth out energy imbalances after DM is to add a little spinal breathing as outlined in the main lessons here:

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

Of course how much you add is a function of what your inner guru suggests and any requirements you have in the self-pacing department.

This will smooth out most energy imbalances in time. If you are doing this regularly over an extended period of time and still notice a problem area, then the suggestions outlined in my above post to move energy can help.

Best of luck.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by thibaud05

And it was quite a bumpy ride back then.
So...instinctively I pull out of the depths of meditation as soon as I feel the same overwhelming sensation in the head. I do it or else I'd seriously fear that my head would blow up, its that strong a current.

Does this sound familiar to you fellow practitioners ? And is there a balanced approach to overcome this energy surge ?

My current routine is 5 min nadi shodana/15 min DM/4 min Samyama

Thanks !

Hi thibaud,
I have experienced this.. not the light in my head.. but I had a premature crown opening and had many negative experiences.. and anytime I felt overloaded in my head, it would bring back memories and scare me.

Three things:
One, do spinal breathing for a few mins instead of nadi shodana. This will help balance out the energy between your head and rest of your body. Don't go to your crown, only move your awareness between your third eye and root.

Second, (and it may not be true for you), bring your attention down to your heart/naval when you meditate. Anytime you realize you are in your head during meditation or during the day, consciously bring your attention down into your heart or naval. We are generally not aware of how much we live in our heads... and consciously bringing attention down will help take us away from living in our heads all the time.

Third, Don't be afraid. We harbor what we fear. This took me the longest to learn.. dropping fear.. We have a way of connecting things that happen to us and making shafts of pain or fear or happiness or sorrow... if you keep in mind, that the crown incident that happened a few years back has nothing to do with your current experience, if you don't allow the shaft to be made, you will be able to relax into your experience. We (and believe me, it took me forever to let of of the crown fear) tend to hold on to negative experiences and hence keep it in place. It's good to be careful, to self pace, to exercise to ground the energy, to eat a heavier diet.. etc.. but it is also important to let go the fear. Take a small example, think of something/someone that makes you angry or scared.. now notice how your body reacts. Even if that danger/person is not in front of you at this min, our body will react based on memory and imagination. So a lot of the discomfort you are feeling are from memory and imagination of what may happen. We don't know what may happen, so letting go or not giving that memory importance will help.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Dec 14 2008 09:39:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  09:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MichaelA,

quote:
DM helps blossom the silence, and the silence will awake the kundalini energy when it is vibrant enough. i have learned my lesson about working with the nadis and kundalini the hard way. dont ever try to stir up anything, and remember energy follows thought, so i really recommend doing DM since the goal of that is thoughtless awareness/samadhi. samadhi is beyond all concepts, it is limitless. in the beginning i wanted energy and powerful experiences, but now i realized i dont. silence only grows when the mind is silent. the most important thing i have learned is that DM is the core and u cant go for the nadis/energy unless the silence is vibrating thru your whole body, it acts as a coating so when the energy does awaken (on its own) it will not tear everything apart, it should be smooth. i wish i would have realized this in the beginning, now i am stuck with energy pool on my left temple/and eye. i wish it would go away

Funny, indeed we seem to be having a similar problem (left eye/temple). I find what you say here very true. I too have been struggling with energy imbalances for years (and also in the particular area you mentioned) and THE ONLY thing that had any positive effect in my condition was deep meditation. You explain it very well why in the above quote.

I stay away from energy work, because even pranayama is very clearly unbalancing to me (feels like I am straining). To relieve the tension/blocks I feel in my neck area, left jaw/eye I now use a simple neck stretch that I explain in this other post (been trying it for some days now):

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4870#42326

In my case, a simple tilting of the head to the right and left (more to the right as it stretches the left side) has an incredible releasing effect. But only works if I keep it there for some time (30sec or so), exactly like you would do in any yoga asana.

I feel, in my case, that energy is working it's way through the neck area and it is a bit unbalanced in the head in general (crown included) but DM seems to be harmonising everything gradually and very smoothly (I currently even only do 10min twice daily and have been doing it for the past 8 months or so). The advantages of having had energy imbalances and working very cautionously through them through DM etc. is that at the end you will have a very clear picture of what works and how in your body. Just don't try to force it, be very gentle and patient.

In the past I had, as you seem to have, energy imbalances in the left side of my body, with particular constrictons in the sole of my foot, the back of the knee, the abdomen area (more or less where the spleen is located, although mine was removed when I was a kid), in the chest area just below the heart, the neck, and, like you, the eye and temple. Actually, in the top of the head it sometimes was alternating sides, with pain/sensations mainly on the right side sometimes. They felt kind of like knots in a root or something like that (like a vine, woody, kind of quality) that ran through the left side of my body. Interesting stuff but not very pleaseant . Like you I want it out and smoothed out. It could be pingala as you say, but I don't see any advantage in trying to figure this out and work with the nadis as it may mess things up more since we don't know very well how the mechanism work. I find it much more advantageous to do DM as it seems to do the best work for me without me interfering, easily and gradually smoothing things out.

Just to let you know to be patient and cautious and, as you very well point out, energy work can mess things up further, a good solid base of inner silence might be what you need first. It seems to be doing the trick for me. All the best!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000