AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Acupuncture and AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theileon

5 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit theileon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i was just wonderýng peoples thoughts on acupuncture wýth regards to the dangers of the crossover between yoga (kundalini) and taoýst methods (chi)....

is ýt safe to be stýmulatýng chi wýth acupuncture when ýnvolved wýth kundalýný work? ý undertsand there ýs a sýmýlar system of poýnt stýmulatýon ýn yoga (ayurvedýc) tradýtýons but wonder how closely they correspond.

ileon

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  12:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's very beneficial if you find a good practitioner.
Go to Top of Page

jgc0929951

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  4:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jgc0929951's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
do you know any good self taught books about accupuncture?
jack
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  5:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi theilion,

I can't answer from direct experience, but I do know that one of the people who attends the Calgary AYP meditation group does regular weekly acupuncture and absolutely swears by it. But I also agree with Scott that it is very important to find the right acupuncturist for you as with this certain practitioner I know he has gone through several different ones to get to the one he is with now, and he thinks she is helping to facilitate his kundalini awakening. I should also mention though that he just started seeing a shaman as well and is unsure if there is some crossover between the effects he is now feeling. At first he was only using acupuncture. He has had some pretty dramatic effects though, so do be careful. There were a few days he actually had to stay home because driving his car wasn't safe. All in all, I'm pretty confident in saying that it will definitely have some effects, but as with all things in AYP self-pacing will have to play a big part. And remember there is no "magic bullet" so don't expect too much! Good luck!

Love,
Carson

Hopefully the person I am talking about will join this thread and give you his perspective right from his own mouth. If not, hope this helps a little.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  10:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's really hard to teach yourself acupuncture, because to be able to do it right you have to understand the theory really well, and it gets very in depth. I've been studying for a few months (got tons of big expensive books) and still know nothing in actuality.

The best place to start, though, is probably the book Between Heaven and Earth.
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  08:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The book that Scott refers to is a good book. In the nineties I studied acupuncture for three years, although I now work in IT.

I am not sure about in the States, but in the UK there tend to be two different approaches - 5 element acupuncture and TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). The 5 element kind is based on the theory that each element, earth, water, fire, air and metal, has associations which include organs, meridians, emotions, personality etc. Obviously everyone has all five, as they are part of a whole, but some elements are stronger/weaker in certain people.

The TCM approach is based on Chinese practice and is more practically orientated. 5 Element acupuncture is often frowned upon by TCM practitioners as being "off with the fairies" but it can have dramatic effects when an accurate diagnosis is made. It usually treats the person using the dominant element - ie the points on the associated meridians. In my own experience, when I am treated on what I consider my element, I get very good results. There are many acupuncture courses which integrate the two approaches nowadays. The nomenclature can be a bit confusing because 5 element acupuncture (the type in the Between Heaven and Earth book) is also sometimes referred to as "Traditional Acupuncture".

Another aspect of 5 element acupuncture is its focus on the emotional and spiritual side of things. A fascinating thing about theories of Chinese Medicine generally is the fact that organs are considered to have their own spirit, which is comprised of a kind of chi. Chi can be anything from the most ethereal substance to the most solid flesh. For example the spirit of the heart is Shen, which can be seen as the shine in the eyes and is sometimes compared to a row of birds sitting on a perch. If there is a shock, the shen scatters.

I could go on for hours about it as I love the theory. One of the great beauties of it for me is the interconnection between different aspects of life. So if someone has a water imbalance, they may have a lot of fear, appear to have a blueish tinge to their complexion, have ear problems (kidney meridian ends there) and hate the winter, which are all associations with the water element. They may also respond really well on all levels when the kidney and bladder meridians are treated.

Anyway, enough of that. My input, for what it is worth is that the theory is relatively easy to understand from books, although you would need to read a lot. What is more difficult is point location and needling techniques. Also it is my own experience that self-treatment is not nearly so effective as seeing the right practitioner and I echo the posts about the importantance of finding the right one. In the UK I would start with the British Acupuncture Council, not sure in the US.

Edited by - k123 on Dec 24 2008 08:56:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2008 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thnak You for that right up Kathy it correlates with other information I have read that each organ has a separate energy signature...

Its something I am considering doing...
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  08:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maha

Do you mean studying, or receiving treatment with?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

mahabaratara

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  11:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit mahabaratara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,

Firstly Happy New Year to yourself and everyone else here at AYP!

I meant recieving treatment with.

I suffer from severe pain in the base of the spine (not as much as before thankfully) and more recentley pressures in my forehead.

I have been through a Kundalini awakening and nearly lost everything although I do want to go through with a full activation- in time mind.

Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A Happy New Year to you too, and to everyone else as well.

Ah ok, that sounds good. Acupuncture can be really helpful in many situations. As Scott says, it is important to find a good practitioner
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  12:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a good acupuncturist can help, and it doesn't affect spirituality. They help balance energies which is good spiritually.
A good acupuncturist is not determined by schooling, but by practice and good intuition. You can go through all the schooling and still not be good because acupuncture depends on being able to feel the energy convergence points, and that can't be taught.
So talk with other patients to find a good one; ask all your friends.
i have a friend who is an acupuncurist, and she says she can cure anything that medicine can cure, but it takes longer. The advantage is that her cure lasts longer too, and doesn't have the bad side effects that medicine always has.
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  7:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi theilion,

I can't answer from direct experience, but I do know that one of the people who attends the Calgary AYP meditation group does regular weekly acupuncture and absolutely swears by it

Hopefully the person I am talking about will join this thread and give you his perspective right from his own mouth. If not, hope this helps a little.

hi theilion and carson

blessings to you both

yes, i like acupuncture fine.. i've worked with two practitioners in calgary; one is a cancer, and very good with emotions and sacred geometry.. the other is an aquarius, and quite intuitive regarding energy balance. we have been working on unblocking emotional conditionings/karmas, opening the heart, and keeping energies (chi) centered/channeled

in my humble observation, acupuncture adds a spirit/emotional energy input on top of the physical/yoga and mental/meditative practices.. the cancer practitioner laughed when he referred to the acupuncture needles as 'antennas' on my second visit.. i didn't know what he meant at the time.. now i might have an inkling

it's worth noting that i didn't see much benefit to acupuncture the first few times i had it done.. after about three months (six sessions), i started to notice changes in my emotional state, friendships, physical attachments, etc.. i.e., they started to get more fluid -- some fell away, and some were strengthened.. it was/is holistic, at least for me

carson is right.. there have been times i haven't felt fit to drive.. also, some interesting sleepless nights and independent shadows on the walls.. self pacing is important, and balance.. what is that anyways, lol

wishing you well!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just started seeing an acupuncturist as a bartering situation

I explained to her that I feel not very well grounded and that too much energy is in my head and she will work on me this Friday. She did a quick "calming" treatment Saturday and I noticed some tension release in my chest and also that night I had a VERY restorative sleep with some spontaneous OBE stuff in the morning :-)

I'm hoping she can do something to balance out my mental and spiritual energies. I feel like my mind really gets in the way of my energy sensitivity.

I will post the results
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  8:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since the treatment I mentioned above I have noticed that my meditations were deeper and I have felt more grounded and silent mentally. I think the treatment worked syngerstically with yoga - that it allowed for deeper meditation which in turn lead to better mental well being which lead to more physical energy and so forth. I am going tomorrow morning for a full 1-hour treatment so I will post the results on here as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000