Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Bastrika question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  6:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys

I wanted to add spinal bastrika to my practice. I have done "abdominal breathing" in my Bikram class and enjoy it. I tried Bastrika today, but found it difficult.

For one, I found it hard to continue the rapid exhalations in a seated position. In class we do it Japanese sitting style and I think this opens up the body a bit more.

For two, I do not understand the visualization. As I understand it, I am to be exhalaling using my abdominal muscles rapidly and not focusng on the exhale as it will occur automatically. I thought I understood that I am to visualize the third eye on the in-breath and the root on the out-breath...but if I were to do this I would be making three passes in one second! Is this how it is performed or am I missing something? Maybe it is not done as fast as in breath of fire?

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  02:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

You can sit in any asana you want to do any of the AYP practices, although over time you may find that sitting cross legged (or half lotus) is the easiest and most benefitial.

Spinal bastrika is practiced by breathing in and out deeply and rapidly, whilst moving your attention between the perineum and the third eye following the spinal nerve. So it is just like spinal breathing pranayama only much faster. The first time I tried it I just thought "this is imposible"

You can make it easier by simply jumping with your attention from the root to the third eye, ending at the third eye at the end of an inhalation and ending at the root at the end of exhalation.

You can make it even easier by leaving out the spinal nerve and the chakras altogether, in which case it becomes bastrika, instead of spinal bastrika.

I found it one of the klunkiest practices at first, but also one of the most powerful in terms of purification. It was the first practice I had to seriously self pace on. It is well worth mastering.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  9:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

Are you doing Spinal Bastrika immediately after Spinal Breathing Pranayama? If so, I find it helpful to build up speed gradually between the two practices. Rather than go from normal breathing (in SBP) to rapid breathing (in Spinal Bastrika), try increasing your breathing speed over the course of 30 seconds or so. This can help keep the visualization synchronized with the breath.

I agree with Christi that it's clunky, but it will become easier over time.

Best wishes!
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  6:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will try that. Sounds like a good idea
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000