Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 heart sweeps & bhakti-inspired heart practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  10:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

A year ago, one poster wrote: “My advocating the Gayatri mantra is because I think that the Bhakti yoga issue is important, in order to be sure one is "heart centered". Because yoga can and will raise the kundalini/ecstatic conductivity, but that may not be "heart centered.... one is on a "heart centered" spiritual approach and not just after some energetic effects only.”

In addition to doing AYP's SBP for energetics, what heart sweep(s) or heart practice(s) do you currently favor? Gayatri mantra? Microcosmic orbit? What else? Anything else?

newpov

Continuing . . .

I remember reading somewhere that the spiritual heart is in the right side of the body. What bearing does this have upon bhakti-inspired heart practice?

My translation of Ecclesiastes 10:2-3:

"The heart of the wise is at his right hand, and the heart of a fool at his left. Even when the fool is walking on the road, he lacks sense, and he demonstrates to everyone that he is a fool."

Contrast with the New Jerusalem translation of this same passage:

"The sage's heart leads him aright, and the fool's leads him astray. A fool walks down the road,
he has no wit--and everyone remarks, 'How silly he is!"

At least two yogic energy sweeps (generations) are mentioned in Ecclesiastes 1:4-6:

"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever."

The first generation is a horizontal sweep of attention through the body -- oscillation between East and West, that is, between the spiritual heart and the physical heart, both of which are close to the lungs:

"Also, the sun hath risen, and the sun hath gone in, and unto its place panting it is rising there."

The second generation is a vertical sweep through the body -- oscillation between North and South. Some combination of spinal breathing pranayama and/or microcosmic orbit?

"Maketh his round by the south, and turneth again to the north"

There may be yet additional circulations or circuits of yogic attention for us to consider since:

"the spirit goeth forward surveying all places round about, and returneth to his circuits."

In yogic terms, what is the "way of the cross?"

Could it be an East-west circulation, plus a north-south circulation?

Two pairs make up any cross. In Ecclesiastes 1:8, East/West may refer to the pair of ears, while North/South may refer to the pair of eyes:

"No one can say that eyes have not had enough of seeing, ears their fill of hearing."

Here in Ecclesiastes 1:9 are another two pairs, and their orthogonality is made plain:

What was, will be again;
what has been done, will be done again;
and there is nothing new under the sun!

Yet another cross in Ecclesiastes 1:18:

Much wisdom, much grief;
the more knowledge, the more sorrow.

Edited by - newpov on Oct 19 2008 4:50:17 PM

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Lord is enshrined in the hearts [2 of them] of all." -- Katha Upanishad
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"How can we end our misery
without realizing that the Lord of Love
is enshrined in our heart of hearts?"

"The Self, small as the thumb,
dwelling in the heart,
is like the sun shining in the sky."

-- Shvetashvatara Upanishad

Edited by - newpov on Oct 22 2008 08:59:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi newpov,

Once in a while, I like to do the heart breathing technique Yogani wrote about here:

http://www.aypsite.org/220.html

It's really easy to over-do, so be careful not to do it too much. It opens the heart and emotions, and can be powerful if done before devotional activities (whatever that may be for you).

On the *extremely rare* occasion that I find myself in church, I do the heart breathing while gazing at the image of Christ above the altar.

With Love
cosmic

Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks cosmic !
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

Hi newpov,

Once in a while, I like to do the heart breathing technique Yogani wrote about here:

http://www.aypsite.org/220.html

It's really easy to over-do, so be careful not to do it too much. It opens the heart and emotions, and can be powerful if done before devotional activities (whatever that may be for you).

On the *extremely rare* occasion that I find myself in church, I do the heart breathing while gazing at the image of Christ above the altar.

With Love
cosmic

I tried that heart breathing technique for the first time moments ago immediately after reading your post, cosmic. WOW. It is a VERY powerful technique. Thank you.

Namaste,
Suryakant
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  11:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any time

PEACE
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

paw

52 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit paw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My Satguru opened my heart wide, and connects with me there. Divine Mother IS the heartbeat.

For bakhti sadhana, I like to join a kirtan group of Yogananda kriyavans at Polestar Community in Pahoa, HI. Shakti Ma One Love.

Jaya Ma Jaya Pele Ma
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000