Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Quite a disturbing view on meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

klevo

Slovakia
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit klevo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I would like you guys to comment on this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVgrMC49Ew. To me it's quite disturbing what's said there, especially in regards to my daily practice.

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  12:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This person is acting a bit clueless, and has NOT A CLUE regarding what she's speaking about. It's merely naive opinion based on misinterpretation of personal experience, plus lack of any actual training, education, wisdom or understanding. Don't mind it--some people "get it", but many just miss the point and go off into the wild blue.
Michael

Edited by - mikkiji on Oct 05 2008 12:05:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  1:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fully agree Michael, I had a sense this girl was a bit diturbed...of course, I don't know her, just the feeling I got from seeing and hearing her. For me meditation is not at all what she has discribed and no one needs the "waterfalls and the trees" to meditate, quite the opposite really, all of this can be quite distracting. Furthermore it is not meditation that is the moment to ourselves and then in the rest of life we become apathetic and inactive. Again, it is quite the opposite: I found the meditation has helped me enourmously to remain centered and grounded enough to become more active and willing in this world. So, yes, nevermind this. It is amazing though the ammount of "theories" and concepts and things that can come up in the internet...it's a jungle out there. Just use your own intuition (or "feeling" or inner guru or good old common sense, whatever you want to call it) to tell apart the shaft from the wheat (I think you say this in english hehehe)
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  5:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

To me it's quite disturbing what's said there, especially in regards to my daily practice.

This person is a total whacko, plain and simple, and has absolutely NO idea--NOT A CLUE--regarding what she's speaking about.

Fully agree Michael, I had a sense this girl was a bit diturbed...of course, I don't know her,

You guys are partly correct, but you haven't hit the nail on the head yet. I think I can add a little more insight into what is going on here. What we are running into here is a phenomenon that that can trap the unwary on their excursions throughout the internet....

Look closely at the skin of this human female. Look at the facial expressions, the hand movements. Do you notice anything?

This person is suffering, not from a developmental disorder or a serious pathology of any kind, though it could be mistaken for one....

This person is suffering from youth. She's a kid, a teenager. She's having fun playing guru on YouTube. Don't worry about her and what she says. What she needs is a few years and she'll normalize.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  6:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, well seen david hehehe i did sense her hormones were kicking all over the place!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  9:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i cant get youtube on my comp. what was the video about??
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  07:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthony,

I think it's a prank.

How better to satirize the whole suburban guru-babe scene than get your young teenage sister to do a discourse on meditation, and package it as serious and dispense it on you-tube?

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  07:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogaislife wrote:
quote:
I found the meditation has helped me enourmously to remain centered and grounded enough to become more active and willing in this world

Yes this is the concept Yogani writes about of applying what we take from meditation to the real world. This is precisely the reason Yogani emphasizes this point.
If you look at what the girl said as what CAN happen to SOME people rather than what meditation is always about, then there can be truth in it.

There are people who read about buddha living in a cave, and fool themselves into thinking they are like buddha, and use meditation as a means to escape from society. They become more and more anti-social and delude themselves into thinking they are "holy". Who knows that may have been buddha's motivation to begin with. But if you don't complete what you went to the cave to do, you can be just delusional.
It's quite probable that she has been close to one of those people.
She has another video talking about the church being just a representation of sex and she concludes with saying it was all caused by our separation from ourselves and a search to find and express ourselves. She says the whole world is controlled by sex, and messed up by people searching for themselves. Then she says it all eventually comes back to here, we are just sitting here breathing, and that's who we really are.
I don't think it's a prank. I think she's for real.

Edited by - Etherfish on Oct 03 2008 09:12:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

klevo

Slovakia
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  1:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit klevo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Etherfish really nailed it.

It's about your starting point. When you use meditation to achieve some "holy", "master", etc. status, searching for something outside of you, that's when you're deluding yourself. And that's what the "channel" was talking about in the video IMO.

Remember you're already enlighted, you're already yourself. Meditation will help you quiet the mind and after some time free you from it's rule completely (at least I hope so). The ecstatic conductivity can't be a bad thing also :) But it must be taken as a tool. If you identify yourself as a great meditator or a yogi and derive your sense of self from it that's the delusion again.
Go to Top of Page

ymladris

Czech Republic
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ymladris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience is that yes, meditation can "detach from the world" or how to say it. Before i started AYP i had no meditation experience. I finally "surrended" and started because i had big personal problems.

DM + SBP felt sooo good. Quite quickly i have wired myself to feelings and bliss and peace and so on. Scenery. During the day i had something
like demotivation syndrom, i was staring to nothing a not being able to take action.

Because, i have been enhancing experiences during DM, not meditating mantra. So i have stopped and started again, later, more properly
following the procedure. And, AYP started to give me energy, insight,
courage, peace, power to engage in the world.

IMHO Klevo, you have to observe for yourself: have you symptoms that
she is describing? (rhetorical question)

I think everybody knows a lot of people using "spiritual" methods to escape from life. They are SOOO positive it causes me to vomit
rainbows ;). But, can I help them with their suffering somehow better? Not yet. So I am not judging their way of life.

Hail to our karma/genes/upbringing/IQ/whatever that we are lucky
to be able to follow available methods more directly!

-- Mirka
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  11:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Taking this in context, did anyone else notice that she has done 800 videos in 2 years. I looked at her earliest ones and it appears she eithe pretends to channel dead people or actually believes she does. Anyway, youtube can be very seductive for some who need to have an audience. Remember the song "when he gets to the end he wants to start all over again?"

Best to just disregard her attack on meditation.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  8:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and channeling in general can be dangerous. I have heard it is often difficult to control exactly which entity connects with you, and evil entities can be tricksters. So channeled information is suspect.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  8:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I just watched some of her "channeled" videos. Weird girl. I don't think she's channeling anything real judging from the subtleties of her movements. She may believe she's channeling (which I doubt, it seems like she's acting) but on a deeper level it seems she knows she's full of it.

I hope she's okay.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000