Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Falling into the abyss....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  12:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've only been doing AYP for a few monthes so am not advanced at all. But I do my 2 sessions of AYP (SB&DM) and 1hr of hatha pretty much every day and feel good with the progress.

However... I love reading the threads and occasionally run across individuals that are experimenting with the higher levels of Kechari mudra and experiencing crown activity and then they fall off the map into the abyss with no more posts...kinda scary...What's the deal with THAT?

I can't be one of those guys that shoves his tongue up his nasal cavity and sits in bliss/ecstacy most of the day with his eyes rolled up in sambhavi chanting...I still need to chop wood and carry water. And since I feel very blessed ("To whom much is given...much is expected") I need to chop more wood and carry more water than the average person.

So for the advanced AYPers (6 monthes or more) a question...has your wood chopping and water carrying gotten better? And by better I mean are you chopping more wood and carrying more water with more outpouring divine love than before AYP? Or is most of your time spent in practices? (or thinking about practices? Or on the forum discussing practices?i.e. are you spending more time in practices and less time contributing to society than before?)

Please don't take this as a rip on AYP (I love AYP and really respect Yogani) but I have somewhat of an obsessive personality and don't want to run the risk of falling into the abyss where all I want to do is practices......(I got obsessed with tennis and running in my younger days and totally fried my knees. Who knows what I will do if I find another erogenous zone..)

Grace and Peace

Edited by - machart on Sep 13 2008 01:09:51 AM

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  05:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi marchart

I like your inquiry
Your carrying more water and chopping more wood than the average person can be seen as a blessing and also an integrated part of your practice.

If you look at it like that, that your daily activities are actually part of your AYP practice then you can integrate everything together and self-pace with this in mind.
The AYP practice of DM and SP etc will bring you vertically deep but as Yogani often says it is essential to work horizontally also. The horizontal work is the seemingly more shallow awareness of interacting with our immediate surroundings in the here and now.

By seemingly more shallow, I mean that one is not going around in a state of non-dual awareness, or as you say, in the abyss. You are fully "with it". You are functioning more efficiently because you are less distracted by mind games and emotional responses. These are still there but do not dominate your perspective.

I think you have identified a trap that can be dangerous, especially for someone with an obsessive nature
The trap, as I see it, is in being obsessed with the abyss or non-duality or the formless, without the process of integrating this kind of awareness into everyday life - the horozontal awareness.

So this is why I say your chopping wood and carrying water are a blessing. You need this for a balanced practice.

My 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sparkle,
Thanks for your reply and insight.

It sounds like what you are saying is that AYP sharpens your axe and stops the leaks in your bucket...I think you are right!

I just don't want to be the guy sitting there with a wicked sharp axe and a shiny leak-free bucket polishing them all day and never using them.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  11:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi machart

Great inquiry!

quote:
I've only been doing AYP for a few monthes so am not advanced at all. But I do my 2 sessions of AYP (SB&DM) and 1hr of hatha pretty much every day and feel good with the progress.

Bahkti that leads to consistant practise like that is always advanced

I find Sparkles 2 cents to be right on -

quote:
The trap, as I see it, is in being obsessed with the abyss or non-duality or the formless, without the process of integrating this kind of awareness into everyday life - the horozontal awareness.

So this is why I say your chopping wood and carrying water are a blessing. You need this for a balanced practice.

You wrote:
quote:
I just don't want to be the guy sitting there with a wicked sharp axe and a shiny leak-free bucket polishing them all day and never using them.

Well.....it comes with the territory that such a leak-free bucket is bound to overflow if you insist on just being still. There will be plenty of action because of that

As for the axe.....it also comes with the territory that the sharper your axe, the cleaner the cut. If obsession is resulting in an appearantly inactive life......then the axe will cut away all that which obscures your vision......much like Leonardo da Vinci creating art by cutting away all that which was not the sculpture.....revealing what was hidden within the marble. And that marvel revealed, will be continued interaction with the world.

As such - AYP is about uncovering stillness in action.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  12:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Katrine, I love your examples!

Being still and having it overflow into my entire life is exactly what I need.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000