Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 The Importance of Rhythm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gray

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit gray's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How important is the rhythm of breath in Pranayama? In several more traditional Yoga sources I have seen emphasis on rhythm, but in AYP it's not mentioned at all.

Is there an assumption that the body will find a natural rhythm for the breath in practice or is it just that rhythm has found to not be relevant experientially ?

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  3:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gray

There are many traditions and many types of Pranayama AYP teaches "Spinal Breathing Pranayama" go over this lesson again

http://www.aypsite.org/41.html

As you see there is no mention of controlling the rhythm of the breath you just follow the breath from root to brow. Your breathing will naturally slow down and find its own rhythm it is a mistake to try and control this, just breath slowly and comfortably with no effort at all and all will be well.

Edited by - Richard on Sep 11 2008 3:31:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. Just breathe as slowly as is comfortable, it slows down as the minutes pass by.
Go to Top of Page

Propundit

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  7:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Propundit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think rhythm is important, but for SB, a natural rhythm that arises when not forcing the breath. Some other methods involve counting and ratios for the inhale/exhale and maybe the hold. But I have found that simple, natural relaxed breathing works for me with SB

I have a biofeedback device that measures heart rate variability, and when I do SB, my graph gets smoother and more optimal. Which is especially good for me, as I normally have some degree of 'benign' respiratory sinus arrhythmia.
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  11:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
rythem has to do with the flow of prana.
prana is effected by the flow of breathe, but they are two seperate entitys, think symbiotic relation.
breathing has a natural rythem, and prana flows with this, well say its unconciouse.
Now if you are going to take control of breathing, it is no longer unconciouse, but creating a """consistant""" rythem, allows prana to re ujust. thus once again, prana and breath become one.
this is why consistance is enphasised azs well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000