Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Trachea sutra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arim

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  4:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been reading, digesting and slowly adding stillness.

I recently read the samyama book. In it, yogani mentions using the word "trachea" to subdue eating and drinking. As a nurse, I'm wondering why not use the word "esophagus" instead of "trachea". As the esophagus in the tube in which the food and drink go down to get to the stomach. The trachea is the tube for breathing, leading to the lungs. Yogani, I tried to email you about this but I guess I have to start posting first, so here it is.

Also, is this sutra meant to be used only for fasting? Or can it also be used for dieting, getting appetite under control?

Peace

Arim

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  5:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Arim, and welcome!

The sutra "Trachea," alleged to be for subduing hunger and thrist, is in the appendix of the Samyama book, which is an interpretation of the 30 or so sutras in the 3rd chapter of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras on "Supernormal Powers." These are offered in the appendix for "research" by established practitioners.

The word "Trachea" comes directly from English translations of the Yoga Sutras, so I did not change it. Some of the other sutras in the list of 30 in the Samyama book involved more interpretation on my part, but not that one. Refining the sutras for better effectiveness will be part of the long term research that will occur as more and more modern yogis and yoginis come into their own and begin to key off the ancient work of Patanjali to find the real truth by direct experience, which is the only place we will find it. Recorded knowledge can only help point the way. All is subject to verification by the application of cause and effect. Samyama is a wide open area for scientific research looking far out into the future. It will become increasingly relevant as more people cultivate the presence of abiding inner silence.

I have to agree with you that "Esophagus" makes a lot more sense in this case, and this is an area where I'd encourage some research. But only by those who are well established and stable in their core samyama practice. It is very easy to go flying off in too many directions at once with this and that would not serve our purposes in practice very well.

As for when and how to use a sutra for research, it will have the best effect if included (only one change at a time) in our regular series of sutras for core practice and used that way twice each day over a period of time. Keep in mind that it takes time for the inner pathways associated with a sutra to become purified and opened, so it is not a matter of using a sutra and finding its full result immediately. There will be many stages of purification and opening.

By using a balanced range of sutras in the daily practice routine, many pathways are being opened at the same time, leading to a broad-based expansion in consciousness, which is the ultimate purpose of samyama. The list of sutras provided for AYP core samyama practice are arranged with this in mind. Cosmic Samyama is also structured for broad-based purification and opening. Samyama is primarily about increasing our overall spiritual development, not for producing a specific outcome. If we go for the broad-based development, we will gain the specific along with that.

"Seek first the kingdom of heaven, and all will be added..." Like that.

For the very advanced, in whom all thoughts may tend to manifest quickly as evolutionary stillness in action (an outpouring), then once or twice with a sutra might be enough to produce an effect. But for most of us, it is a longer process of purification and opening. That is the reason for daily practice over time, and why research on sutras is probably best done as part of that. In this way we will be building a strong foundation in stillness from which all of our actions can move. And then we will notice that our intentions have an uncanny way of finding fulfillment, though not always in exactly the way we might have imagined.

Stillness in action and outpouring divine love have their own way of doing things, and we may feel like we are just along for the ride. Which goes to show that developing the art of letting go in our inner silence is by far the most important part of samyama.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Arim

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Yogani.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000