AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Beginning AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  09:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

I have now been practising for two days. Yesterday I received the Deep Meditation book and reading it has been very helpful.

The experience is very powerful and I am not sure whether I will be able to do the full 20 mins twice a day. Maybe I need to cut the time down to 10 mins, am not sure yet.

I found yesterday that I was quite preoccupied with whether the meditation would make me feel ill/uncomfortable, due to this having happened before with other practices, such as TM (which is very similar to this). The increased vigilance itself became a bit of an obstacle, hard to find any silence with that going on.

Today was better, I read through the Deep Meditation book yesterday evening, which was extremely helpful.

I am really hoping I will be able to find a way to continue with this method, using self-pacing, information from others etc. When I felt so many side effects from basic mindfulness of breathing meditation I felt very disappointed, almost that the route to inner knowledge was shut to me, I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this.

However, things have changed. One reason is that I am getting to know my own energy better and to find ways to deal with symptoms of overload. Another big factor is reading others' experiences with the same problems and knowing that these are reasonably common experiences.

Sometimes just reading a book about spirituality will bring up the "energy overload" feeling. Thinking of it in terms of purification helps, gives a different perspective. I have it slightly today.

I am very interested in whether this changes for others. The term purification has a sense of process and progress about it. Before I felt stuck and thought these symptoms was just my reaction to certain types of meditation. Have others found that these symptoms improve/disappear, or just remain and need careful management generally?

Thanks

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy

Stick with the med and if you feel you are going over the top definitely cut back to 10 mins. If you have any problems tell us about them no matter how small they seem. Some of us have been around here for a long time now and I am sure we have seen most possible problems before so don't be afraid to ask we are all here to help each other
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy, what side effects did you get with breathing meditation?
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  5:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Both

Richard, yes, I will try to find a time that doesn't cause too much discomfort. I have had a few feelings of pressure in my head and a tiny bit of nausea. I am going to see how it goes using only the I AM mantra.

Hi Christi, with the breathing I seemed to feel very overstimulated, I would start to get tightness around the shoulders and neck while sitting and then afterwards I often had badly tingling feet and legs and a feeling of disconnectedness, almost being too awake physically if that makes sense. I was following a Tibetan school. I spoke to one of the teachers who was puzzled and suggested I just watch the symptoms. I did try for a while but it got too uncomfortable. I found that part of the problem was not understanding what was happening.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Richard, yes, I will try to find a time that doesn't cause too much discomfort. I have had a few feelings of pressure in my head and a tiny bit of nausea. I am going to see how it goes using only the I AM mantra.

Great thats the way to go Kathy, one step at a time
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Great thats the way to go Kathy, one step at a time

Yes, hard not to want to rush though

I practised this morning for 20 mins, cross legged on a soft mat. It was a little unsteady at first, but then it settled and I got a slight glimpse of silence towards the end. I took a while coming out, letting it all filter down and settle. Now I feel better than I have felt after meditation for a long time. So feeling very grateful.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great

Do you use back support when you meditate? If you dont try it its by far the best way with deep med.
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

Great

Do you use back support when you meditate? If you dont try it its by far the best way with deep med.

No, have just been sitting on the floor on a meditation cushion. I did read a bit in the lessons about back support, so I guess the wall may be the answer....or the headboard on the bed. I will try the latter and see how it goes.

Edited by - k123 on Aug 16 2008 09:59:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the bed is best
Go to Top of Page

Nancy

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy & Welcome
I can relate to your post. I have been here a little over a year and a half, and am grateful for this forum. If you read through my posts you'll see, I have written some exact feelings and experiences. One thing I wanted to offer support on is your discomfort, I had the tingling and such as well, for me, it is due to the many curves my spine likes to take on, so I found that when I lay down on my bed and meditate that I am able to achieve my stillness and purification just the same. I have also recently began meditating sitting in a comfy sofa chair and am having no tingles or numbness to my hands or feet.
Good Luck
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

k123

118 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  06:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your welcome Nancy, I will read through your posts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000