Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 newbie meditation experince
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Warmth

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  06:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Warmth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone. I have been doing the I AM mantra meditation alot this week and its been very good straight from the start, I find in a few mins I"m feel relaxed and calm, *not that I"m a nervous wreck*. I tend to do this at work where my job is to take inbound tech calls, I usually get a few mins break between calls, so I close my eyes and repeat the mantra and it seems to work well. What I've noticed so far is the mantra finds a rhythm, when that happens I tend to move in deeper, and the mantra seems to hide but its still going in the background. My question is, I"m doing lots of tiny mediations throughout the day. is that a ok thing? So far it seems that I can get to meditation alot smoother than when I was first starting.

Peace and hugs ^_^

jory

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  08:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jory's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are on the right track with doing a couple of shorter meditations than just one long one.

It helps with practicing to get relaxed over and over again through out the day.

Just like how once-a-day vitamins are good for you but not that good because you should have your nutrients spaced out through the day. So you buy vitamins from the health food store that are 3 to 6 a day that space out the nutrients.

This is a really good idea to apply to meditation--spacing out the benefits and "nutrients" of meditation throughout the day and your life. But still, just meditating once-a-day with one big "dose" is good too.

Edited by - jory on Aug 08 2008 08:37:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  5:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Warmth

My question is, I"m doing lots of tiny mediations throughout the day. is that a ok thing? So far it seems that I can get to meditation alot smoother than when I was first starting.
Peace and hugs ^_^

Hi Warmth,
Welcome to the forum.
I am glad you are enjoying centering yourself through the day. This however is not the way AYP recommends you meditate. If this is helping you, then that is fine to keep going, however, if you would really like to get the best from the meditation technique it would be helpful to read Yogani's lesson Lesson 13 - Meditation -- Awakening the Silent Seed. Yogani recommends, twice a day, sitting for 20 min at a stretch and doing the "I AM" meditation as described in the lesson.

It is not recommended to do a few min of "i am", many times. If you do want you center yourself between calls, just bring your awareness to your breath, relax your mind, but don't do a quick "i am" meditation. One, if doing "i am" during the day, outside of your practice time, becomes a habit you will have a tough time getting out of it. And secondly, depending on how many times you are doing this, and for how long, you could land up with overload symptoms.

So if you would like to try out the AYP deep meditation, read up the lesson and follow it for a few weeks and then you will find the silence you cultivate during those 20 min will flow into your every day life.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Warmth

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  01:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Warmth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jory and Shanti. Yes Shanti I was getting hooked on the tiny mediations, they where so good at relaxing me, I dont like to work on breath because I over breath and and find I can't breath if taht makes any sense, but I shall space out my mediations as Jory was saying just a bit and see how it goes, I have tried the 10 min meditations, but they where too long for me, maybe 5 minute ones will be better. And I find I need to do things when ever I get the chance over set times as I found I tend not to get around to doing them, things where just find away of getting in the way or I would forget and so on,
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  6:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Warmth, welcome!

I too take mini-meditation breaks throughout the day, and have done so for over two years. I work on a computer and have Outlook set to give me a reminder every 25 minutes. That seems to be just the right amount of time between meditations. I stop whatever I am doing, focus on three breaths and try to completely surrender to the meditation and let go of any other thoughts, no mater how important they may seem at the time.

I do this for my mental as well as spiritual health and it works well for me. The more I slow down the more work I seem to get done. Paperwork just seems to melt away. However, I agree that if you're just starting out, doing 20 minutes twice a day as well as mini-breaks throughout the day may be a bit much. Yogani has given us the information we need, now we're responsible for putting forth the effort at our own pace.

"In the end, it is you who will unfold bliss consciousness by your own efforts through devotion and application of the most comprehensive practices you can find. " (Lesson 19)

Wishing you fulfillment on your chosen path,

namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Warmth

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  7:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Warmth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks brushjw nice to see someone else does meditation at work :) I find it very helpful when dealing with the stress of the kinda of work environment I have.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  5:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Warmth

If the mini-meditations work for you, then I say go for it.

However, there is something to be said about the depth of a full, uninterrupted meditation session (as described in the AYP main lessons). I find that I can go much deeper in a single 20 minute uninterrupted session than I can in several shorter sessions.

Just something to consider....

Good fortune!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000